Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm finally making progress....

I did hear it a couple times with a real heavy bump but other than that it was quite....

Turned out to be the second exhaust pipe crossing over... 

This was also the pipe that had a loose clamp so It must have moved enough to start making contact....

Time to get a game plan to properly secure the system...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You can always put a small tack weld on the two pipes to keep them from rotating out of position. If you ever need to remove the exhaust, a simple cut will break the tack weld.

I'm using v band clamps to connect sections.... I did find one of the clamps left the pipe a little loose...

I switched it with another and both tightened up ....

I like the idea of those blue grommets you mentioned I can easily work with those ... and I saw some other things that would work better and be more permanent...

• Like 1

I think I finally know where the noise is coming from....

I was doing an oil change on the datsun and figured I'd have another look at the exhaust....

Turns out the crossover pipe is pushed up against the bed support structure.... very hard to see. ...

Tomorrow I'll see what can be done... 

• Like 1

It was definitely the point of contact i was hearing.... in my typical ways I added a temporary fix....

Luckily the pipe and bed support cross each other like an X.. so I think I can get away with flattening the round exhaust into an oval in that area to create the clearance I need...

This is only for the second stack that has the cutout so it should be fine.... 

After that I need to add so better supports to keep everything where I need it.... that will most likely be on the winter repair list...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Would you believe that damn rattle wasnt gone....

I wasn't willing to admit it till I finally solved it.....

I thought it had something to do with my rear taillight mounting....

Made some adjustments to the panel and that fixed nothing.... 

Then I think I finally found it because it didn't hear at all driving around today....

Turns out my ebrake cables, which are not stock, were to close to the drive shaft.. I would mess with them looking for the rattle and they would be out of the way for a moment... after a few bumps they would relax and at times they were bouncing off the rotating driveshaft ..... I secured them differently and as I said I think the problem is solved for real this time...

• Like 5
32 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's common for the cables to be held by a spring attached to the frame. I do that with long brake hoses to keep them away from the tires.

I was thinking about that.... 

But since it's down the center I need to see where I can attach the spring...

The other idea is to weld a radiused tube to the watts link mount that follows the curve of the cable to keep it where I want....

Right now the tie wraps are doing there job...  

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I hope you’re turning that truck into an ark with all the rain you guys have been getting.

It was crazy.... I actually drove the datsun to work yesterday, luckily got home before all the rain started... same with the wife she just pulled in as it all unfolded....

No issues at my house, but we did have lake front property for a few hours.... the condos at the end of the road have a 3 foot drop down into their parking lot and garages... that turned into a swimming pool....

It was up to the concrete you see... there is a 4 inch step down to the sidewalk then another few inches to the street.... some passing cars had water going over their hoods ...

Screen shot from some video my son took.... all the water is heading down the driveway across the street....

Screenshot_20230912-095258_Video Player.jpg

• Like 1