A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still sneaking the datsun out when possible....

Sunday my wife left in my Nissan to run erans and left me behind to fix her subaru. She blew out one of the bushings in the front control arm...

Replacement is the whole lower control arm, comes with all new bushings and ball joint.

So the datsun was the parts runner for the day... had to go back out and get a sway bar end link.... old one had to be cut off...

1 hour ago, NC85ST said:

What model of Subaru?

She drives a 2014 forester.....

She had an 01 before that... she likes them.... this one has been really good... wear items only... nothing major....

It's the 2.5 premium black with black leather... and the big sun roof.... I got a really good deal because it was high mileage for the year, but she doesn't drive far so we have offset that number... now it's just average miles for the year....

My wife drives a ‘15 Legacy that now has 189,000 miles, had 43,000 when we bought it. Same here, only wear items replaced. Spark plugs are a pain. She drives about an hour each way for work. Had an ‘05 Outback 6 cylinder before, terrible gas mileage.

• Like 1

My wife just had a bad crash and her '06 Scion commuter was totaled. She's fine, but the car is a write-off. Ironically, Dave Rebello is selling us his mom's '15 Subaru Forester. It has only 30k miles on the clock.

Having never owned a Subaru, what do you guys have to say about them? Good cars? I've heard they use oil, but that's about all I know.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

My wife just had a bad crash and her '06 Scion commuter was totaled. She's fine, but the car is a write-off. Ironically, Dave Rebello is selling us his mom's '15 Subaru Forester. It has only 30k miles on the clock.

Having never owned a Subaru, what do you guys have to say about them? Good cars? I've heard they use oil, but that's about all I know.

I believe 2014 and up are the better ones to have... the older ones were prone to head gasket failure.. they solved that issue by redesigning the cooling chambers I believe and they got rid of the timing belt and went back to a timing chain... and yes they do use a little oil.. on my wife's it's about 1/2 quart after 4000 miles.... the little light comes on at that point to tell you to add...

Not sure if it's a synthetic thing or not and yes it uses synthetic oil... I have never seen any leak so it's using it somehow.... but again 1/2 quart between oil changes isn't bad if you ask me.... and it's consistent.....

A 2015 forester with 30000 on the odometer if the price is right I wouldn't think twice... 

I think they are fairly easy to work on minus the engine for obvious reasons... prices I found even for factory Subaru parts are not crazy expensive... I'd say middle of the road cost wise..... 

All in all I think they are good cars, my wife loves hers....

• Like 1

Good to know. Thank you for that insight.

The price is right. We're getting it for $12k.

Michelle's Scion had 410,000 miles on it, and it used oil. Didn't smoke, it just went by the rings on the freeway. She rung that little bugger out on her 100 mile trip to work. It never occurred to me until recently to switch to non-synthetic oil, which may have helped with the oil consumption. I guess we'll never know...

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Good to know. Thank you for that insight.

The price is right. We're getting it for $12k.

Michelle's Scion had 410,000 miles on it, and it used oil. Didn't smoke, it just went by the rings on the freeway. She rung that little bugger out on her 100 mile trip to work. It never occurred to me until recently to switch to non-synthetic oil, which may have helped with the oil consumption. I guess we'll never know...

Ya for $12k I'd grab it....

They get decent gas mileage depending on your foot.... my wife averages 25/26 miles per gallon.....

On the highway and if I drive it I can average over 30 on trips....

• Like 1

For $12k, I’d grab that in a heartbeat. Been looking for another one for my wife. Only Subaru’s around here with that kind of mileage and for that price, have rebuilt/salvage titles. She loves hers and it uses about 1/2 quart oil between changes. She averages about 29-30 mpg, but she drives mostly highway. My daughter has an ‘02 Outback sedan and yes they are known for blowing head gaskets, a lot of times blowing to the outside and leaking oil on the exhaust.

• Like 2

All my Subaru experience comes from my brother who had one (who's pregnant wife was hit on the freeway, crashed, rolled, & came out unscathed along with their 2 other kids), and my in-laws who've had a couple but aren't the best with maintenance.  The in-laws' 08(09?) forester snapped a cam around 130k(?).  They primarily buy them because they have a ranch with difficult access, so need something with decent clearance & AWD a plus for that and in the winter.  Not a big fan of the power to fuel efficiency ratio, but I guess that's the price for full time AWD. 

• Like 1

Still sneaking the datsun out....

Had a ton of rain yesterday so everything was nice and clean....

I didn't take it to work but had to go to my son's school for a Christmas thing...

Somehow I ended up in the datsun heading back to work to finish my day...

Screenshot_20231219_122410_Gallery.thumb.jpg.c48dc560400c8de90a8cefb1118b7229.jpg

I haven't started any winter stuff yet...

I have been working on a snowblower that I don't want trapped in my shop.. I need to be able to move the datsun out to get it out side.... 

• Like 3

Ok Neil. I don't want to turn this into a SUbaru thread, but you guys seem to know a bit about these cars.

We got our '15 Forester, and it's nice, but the ride sucks. It has 18" wheels with 225/55-18 tires. I was thinking of downsizing the wheels and installing a set of more all-season tires. We live rural and there is occasional snow, plus the country roads are not always silky smooth. What do you guys think? What wheel sizes can fit this car? Can I go as small as 15"?

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Ok Neil. I don't want to turn this into a SUbaru thread, but you guys seem to know a bit about these cars.

We got our '15 Forester, and it's nice, but the ride sucks. It has 18" wheels with 225/55-18 tires. I was thinking of downsizing the wheels and installing a set of more all-season tires. We live rural and there is occasional snow, plus the country roads are not always silky smooth. What do you guys think? What wheel sizes can fit this car? Can I go as small as 15"?

Well the wifes '14 has 225/60-17s....

I do believe the earlier foresters were running 15s..... I have never tried fitting anything on her newer one....

If brakes are the same diameter I'd say you could fit the 15s.... I fell like I don't need to say it but a quick measurement should tell you what you could get away with..... 

@Stoffregen Motorsports based on a quick Google search it sounds like as long as you didn’t get the turbo XT you might be able to get 15s on there and 16s should be good.  Could try looking for some older Subaru take off wheels to keep the costs down

—- Edit—-

you might need aftermarket 15s… but sounds like 16s are ok

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2015-will-15-wheels-fit-clear-the-brakes.837555/

Edited by demo243
  • Like 1

Ok, cool. I'll look into it. 16's might be the better option.

I get a hookup with fifteen52 wheels, so I'll try them first.

Tires - I buy all seasons with a good warranty. The last set of tires I bought for my truck, I only had to pay half, because of the warranty.

• Like 1

Based on comments from a couple of friends of mine who have had Forester’s in the past, they don’t ride as nice as the Outback’s because of their shorter wheelbase. I didn’t know the Forester’s came with 18’s, my wife’s ‘15 Legacy has 17’s. I’m not 100% sure, but I think these later car’s have a different lug pattern, even though they’re both 5 lug. 

• Like 1

Little parts score today....

I heard rumors of a 521 in a pick and pull 1 town over... sure enough it was there.... 

Completely forgot a picture but was pretty far gone.... front was hacked off... no fenders or tailgate or passenger door and floors were gone.. windshield and dash were junk... couldn't even see the gauges..... 

I did see a good heater box assembly and it still had the bench seat, steering wheel and column, ashtray and glove box.... and the suspension and drive train was still there.... 

• Like 1

What I did come home with were 2 sun visors, really crusty but still move... 

The rear view mirror mount, I think Matt here posted a mirror that I can mount to it.. I have something saved on my ebay about that....

Also got some wiper arms with good springs... and the clip to keep my glove box closed and the screws....

20231229_171611.thumb.jpg.4abf0bcc78e5e4ffc8828c1eb8ffb69e.jpg

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, pidge said:

Score!! Got one somewhat in my area about the same condition. Can never line a date up unfortunately. 

That's always my problem, place was only open mon- Fri till 430...

I was on vacation this week and actually remembered about it this morning.... what sucked was 1 Screw got stuck.... I had to drive home for a set of vise grips to get the visors... 

But I also forgot to get the glove box piece... got that for free going back for the visors....