A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn still falling down the rattle rabbit hole....

At this point I'm not sure where it's coming from.... I know it's a new sound.... I'm starting to think its something in the muffler....

I use a straight though glass pack as the stack, I'm thinking the internal baffle is loose.....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I pulled the exhaust stack apart and nothing was loose...

But on the opposite side I found a loose clamp, so i did the obvious and tightened it...

Thinking I was successful I put everything else back together.. and the next day I heard it again....

The only other thing I could think could possibly be making the noise was a piece near the carrier bearing.... I do not have a factory carrier, and the one I used was actually too tall... so last winter I removed 1/2 out of the height to achieve better geometry....

Well that lowering placed a piece near the carrier, on the driveshaft too close to the plate I used to mount it.... it also caused the exhaust pipe running under the driveshaft to be closer.... So I modified the mount by just cutting some clearance in it where I thought it was hitting...

Well this morning was the quietest it has been, but I still heard it... 

The plan now is to wrap some tape around the drive shaft over the exhaust pipe to see if it is rubbing.... 

I'm also looking at doing the carrier bearing mod I figured out to stabilize it better.. I never liked the one I'm currently using ... the rubber holding the bearing is more flexible than solid....

• Like 1
On 6/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

FWIW, regarding Hainz's post about Tanker's starter clock position - Z cars have the solenoid tucked closer to the block than truck or 510 starters. Comparing stock OEM starters of course.

Because the Z series engines are about 6 degrees from vertical over to the left their starter solenoids are also tucked much farther over. I put one (Canadian 720s are all gear reduction) on my 620 truck but the dip stick tube interfered. So I dented the tube slightly, big mistake, the dip stick is solid and won't pass through the bend. Riveted a flexible dip stick end on. 

I had a rattle on my first car, a 5 year old '64 Dodge. It was a loose or worn rubber on the shock absorber. My neighbor had a stone caught between cab and box.

• Like 1

At this point this rattle is driving me crazy, because I have found 4 potentials but not the one I am hearing.... I crawled under the truck after work to have another look. 

I thought maybe the drive shaft and exhaust were hitting each other but I'm not so sure that's the case. I think there is more than enough gap between the 2, and I could barely move them if I tried. I still wrapped the driveshaft with some tape to make sure... 

Not sure where to look next.. I used a large rubber mallet and banged around on everything I could reach or see and nothing makes that sound... 

1 hour ago, bilzbobaggins said:

I know you had the bed off.  Everything tight there?

It should be but at this point who knows... its definitely something that happens when I hit bumps which is making it tricky because I can't seem to replicate it when its sitting in my garage.... 

Well the tape I put on the drive shaft looked fine after driving to work...

No witness mark showing and contact.... I still hate my carrier bearing but I think i can at least rule out the drive shaft....

Also double check bed bolts and everything good there....

Next plan of attack is probably drop the middle section of exhaust.... it really sounds like something loose inside the exhaust, I might have to pull the 2nd stack too. Maybe someone thought they would be funny and dropped something inside for me...

Just thought of something.... the box inside my bed has 2 bolts securing it .... what are my chances one loosed up....

14 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Fuel tank? SOmething loose in there?

How about the coilovers? They can make noise.

Both those items passed my rubber mallet test..... but like the bed bolts I'll recheck for the hell of it....

I'm trying to rule out something bouncing around inside the exhaust first.... it really sound like a washer or something like that bouncing inside or off the exhaust... a very tinny sound not a clunk.... pfretty sure its not and exhaust leak or any sound from the motor because it doesn't happen while running only over bumps...

6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Fuel tank? SOmething loose in there?

How about the coilovers? They can make noise.

Checked these things and a few other spots and still nothing....

Exhaust system is coming off this weekend, at this point I need to rule it out before I drive myself crazy....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pidge said:

Bed chains? Little chain that attaches to the gas cap? Loose filler neck? Something loose inside the door? Just throwing out ideas. 
-Pidge

On that note- @Crashtd420 are you running a spare underneath? Rock or something bouncing around on that.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, pidge said:

Bed chains? Little chain that attaches to the gas cap? Loose filler neck? Something loose inside the door? Just throwing out ideas. 
-Pidge

I appreciate it....

Bed chains were one of the first things i removed..

Gas cap and filler neck are from a pathfinder.... nothing loose there... 

And yes the doors rattle but I know that sound...

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, demo243 said:

On that note- @Crashtd420 are you running a spare underneath? Rock or something bouncing around on that.

No spare.... battery lives there now...

My only 2 suspects now are a half ass metal return line that I secured poorly and something in the exhaust.....

At least the truck is getting a full check over..... still driving it either way.... I'll find it eventually....

20230630_155636.jpg

• Like 3

Shit... after work I pulled the entire exhaust up to the header and there was nothing.. I'm tempted to go for a ride without the exhaust attached to see if the noise is gone but that might be kind of loud.... I'll see what I find tomorrow.... 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Shit... after work I pulled the entire exhaust up to the header and there was nothing.. I'm tempted to go for a ride without the exhaust attached to see if the noise is gone but that might be kind of loud.... I'll see what I find tomorrow.... 

I doubt you’ll be able to hear it then.

When I first drove the 620 it had a muffler clamped to the header basically and right under the driver seat - it was unbearably loud… 

• Like 2

Crossing my fingers I did something to fix the rattle... 

I checked and reset the exhaust system,  1 clamp had issues and was still a little loose once tight.... 

Corrected that so hopefully that exhaust leak is gone to.... nothing is touching the exhaust and everything seems good and tight..... 

The other thing was I changed my return line from metal to rubber and rerouted and secured it properly... 

Next couple days the weather is gonna be nasty so no test ride till later on this week... 

• Like 1

Getting closer....

Return line wasnt the issue but I'm glad I have it routed better now.... 

There is one spot where the exhaust crosses over under the bed to get to the other stack... while the rattle was greatly reduced it's still there at times.... the simple solution is to wrap the crossbar i think its hitting with a little heat resistant material.. if rattle goes away then I'll have found where I need to fix.. 

2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You could use one of those blue grommet type exhaust hangers as an idolator. Mount it sideways for side-side or fore-aft control.

You mean actually do it the correct way.....

Trust me I failed with the exhaust hangers I'm using.... they are holding things but that's about it..... 

Once I determine the actual issue I'm going to look at doing better hangers.... eventually.....

• Like 1