• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

What a go-getter. First one at work.

You probably left early in case there were problems with your Datsun.

It's not hard to be first with only 2 others showing up at 7am.... I have always tried to be 10 minutes early for things anyhow.. 

plus we are only a 5 man shop plus the office girls and bosses ...

I do have to leave early for the datsun but not incase of problems...

Takes a moment to get out of the garage and warmed up....

luckily the few hiccups it's had have been minor and has never left me stranded... probably just jinxed myself..... 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well It got reallly cold the last couple days... -14 over night Friday to Saturday.... needless to say I brought a little wiring experiment into the house.

I have always wanted the side marker lights to be blinkers also. 

With my first proof of concept I was able to accomplish what I wanted but unfortunately it took 3

relays.... I have also though about using a trailer wiring converter boxes but I would have to buy 2 possibly 3 units... 1 for the rear and then 2 for the front unless I wanna re run some wiring which I really dont want to do ( my harness runs inside not across the radiator anymore)... so still deciding what to do to achieve this on the truck....

Edited due to Mike's following post, beyond simple....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

You do not need relays. It's hard to get your head around it but the ground is through all the other bulbs IIRC. The combined other filaments are so many that they won't light up. There's a guide in the Dime Quarterly. I did this on my 620.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=9043

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

You do not need relays. It's hard to get your head around it but the ground is through all the other bulbs IIRC. The combined other filaments are so many that they won't light up. There's a guide in the Dime Quarterly. I did this on my 620.

http://www.the510realm.com/view

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=9043

topic.php?t=9043

Wow that's beyond simple and is making my head hurt understanding why it works... 

I think the DOT regs have some stipulation regarding the number of side marker lights, and they need to remain on when the headlights are on.

My Jeep was incorrectly wired with the front side marker lights being turn signals and the turn signals in the grill constant. I thought about switching them back, but I too like the blinking side lights.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I think the DOT regs have some stipulation regarding the number of side marker lights, and they need to remain on when the headlights are on.

My Jeep was incorrectly wired with the front side marker lights being turn signals and the turn signals in the grill constant. I thought about switching them back, but I too like the blinking side lights.

The side markers will still be that so nothing changes when the headlights come on... they will just blink now when the flashers are activated..... 

• Like 1

After reading that wiring modification a few more times I understand what it's doing but I kind of dont like the fact that it energizes the outer bucket of the side marker with 12 volts when its flashing.... 

That's why I came up with the relay combo.... 

I'll probably go the route of using a 3 into 2 trailer wiring converter... 

Connect the blinker as normal but use the parking light as the brake light input the single wire out goes to the power wire of the marker light.. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I have yet to even look at the datsun over the winter to do its yearly maintenance, but I have been lucky enough to sneak it out a couple times.... this winter has been wierd....

Sunday with in the 50s so i took it out to run some errands,  last night was almost 60 so I took it out to dinner with the wife.  This morning I woke up to 50 degrees and should be 65 by the afternoon so it came to work with me today....

• Like 1
On 2/16/2023 at 10:44 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Well I have yet to even look at the datsun over the winter to do its yearly maintenance, but I have been lucky enough to sneak it out a couple times.... this winter has been wierd....

Sunday with in the 50s so i took it out to run some errands,  last night was almost 60 so I took it out to dinner with the wife.  This morning I woke up to 50 degrees and should be 65 by the afternoon so it came to work with me today....

Your good…

I got a running list of things to do to the 510 that is years long… I’ll probably just change the oil this spring and maybe drive it a bit… hopefully more then last year.

Spending most my time right now hunting for a Z to replace the 620.

• Like 2
On 2/18/2023 at 10:06 PM, demo243 said:

Your good…

I got a running list of things to do to the 510 that is years long… I’ll probably just change the oil this spring and maybe drive it a bit… hopefully more then last year.

Spending most my time right now hunting for a Z to replace the 620.

I'm sure I am good but I like to grease everything once a year, and check the valves, basically a once over.. I actually wanna do a compression test too just to see how the numbers look after 16000 miles.... 

No actually upgrading this year...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got out into the garage to do a little work.  Truck is up on jack stands ready to go over the chassis and get a few things done...

First thing I decided to do was actually do that marker light turn signal modification.... while I like the simplicity of datzenmikes wiring idea I didn't like the marker light housing being 12v .. I opted to buy a couple trail light boxes....

Screenshot_20230312-172201_Gallery.thumb.jpg.04c854877c611c622b73628af82e6969.jpg

I'm using 1 for the rear but I kept things simple up front and used 2, 1 for each side.... i used the stop input for the parking light. These are made by curt and were only $10 each and did exactly what I was wanted...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 7
11 hours ago, Slow Loris said:

All my side markers had been deleted. I just grabbed some from the junkyard and put them all back in…While I was doing it I was thinking “man I really wish these were turn signals too…I wonder if that would work…” 

Sweet!

Using the trailer box makes it easy and a bit safer in my opinion...

You could do it with 1 box, if so I would get a powered unit, but then you have to run wires to the 4 corners markers....

The way I did with 3 made it easier,  I was able to wire and hide the front boxes behind the little panel that protects the back of the front blinker assembly.. the rear I'll use one box, wire it up near the passenger marker light, then I'll have to run a new wire to the other corner..

• Like 1