Crashtd420

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well its November and almost time for the datsun to hibernate..... 

I have had to drive my nissan lately due to morning temps being in the 30 and lower.... I dont risk the datsun at that point... black ice and idiot drivers.... 

At least took it to work today. . 34 degree but dry out.... I'm trying to roll over the 20000 mile mark before I park it, only about 60 miles from achieving that.... 

20231108_065831.jpg

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I carry an extra 500 lbs in the bed of my truck just for winter traction (full size spare, metal basket with chains, tree saw, clevis's, etc and a grate of woven metal on the entire bed floor).

How is the traction in yours when it's wet or snowy?

In my nissan?

Not bad but I doesn't weigh what my old Silverado did, so I definitely will spin the tires if I get into it to quick from a stop and the traction control goes crazy.. but if I'm easy all is good... I do end up putting weight in the bed but that was more because I have a small homeowner's plow for it, the weight up front really squats the front ... haven't really explored ways to fix that....

There is actually talk of snow tonight..... but as long as they dont salt I'll still try to sneak the datsun out....

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Drifting the 521 tonight ?!?!

I ment in general not last night... she is safe in the garage...

I do need to restrict some air flow to the radiator if I wanna drive the datsun when it's really cold like yesterday.... it barely got out of the cold zone on the gauge while traveling home on the highway.. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's funny that we need to do that. You would think the thermostat would stay closed allowing the engine to come up to temp, but I have to do the same in my Dodge Cummins. It won't get above 140F in the snow without blocking the grille.

I'm surprised too honestly.... must be pulling just enough through the jiggly valve in the thermostat... yesterday was probably the coldest day I have ever driven the truck...

34 in the morning and barely 45 by the time I went home...

Around town it will warm up fine but cruising the highway it cools it off quick....

• Like 1

I deployed the cardboard winter shield.... 12x12 piece in front of my ac condenser... seemed to work perfectly this morning....

36 degrees out and the truck stayed at the middle line on the temp gauge.... creaped down a little driving on the highway but I was using the heat...

Its supposed to be high 50s maybe 60 going home.... 

20231116_065831.jpg

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I deployed the cardboard winter shield.... 12x12 piece in front of my ac condenser... seemed to work perfectly this morning....

36 degrees out and the truck stayed at the middle line on the temp gauge.... creaped down a little driving on the highway but I was using the heat...

Its supposed to be high 50s maybe 60 going home.... 

Took the Z out for a cruise this morning too - never really got up to temp … oil temp got close to 200 though so I wasn’t really worried.

Swapped the “winter” storage wheels on the 510 the other day and tucked it away… holding out on the Z a couple more weeks to hopefully sneak a few more drives in!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, demo243 said:

Took the Z out for a cruise this morning too - never really got up to temp … oil temp got close to 200 though so I wasn’t really worried.

Swapped the “winter” storage wheels on the 510 the other day and tucked it away… holding out on the Z a couple more weeks to hopefully sneak a few more drives in!

Ya I took it to work again today... going to be in the 60s later.... 

32 this morning and i had good heat and correct operating temperatures and no issues going home yesterday with similar ambient temperatures....

I was afraid it might get to hot in the afternoon but it stayed where it should....

Mike mentioned in another thread the thermostat might be stuck open...

I have a new one and some extra gaskets so I'll probably replace that this winter to rule it out....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Going to be a nice afternoon for a Datsun Drive!

could just be a very efficient cooling system. When it’s cold my 510 never gets up to temp on the highway. I think the bad radiator is to blame- has a fresh thermostat in it

I thought that but it makes me wonder.... like I said I have a new one ready to go so It cant hurt.... 

50 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I thought that but it makes me wonder.... like I said I have a new one ready to go so It cant hurt.... 

I guess in theory though the engine should still be able to warm up since the thermostat should stay closed and keep it from circulating…

idk….

• Like 1

I did get off my ass and changed my thermostat today... 

Actually found an issue.....

I think I was leaking coolant past the thermostat.. 

What I took out vs the new was slightly different... the new one went in nice and tight like it should....

The old had some gasket below it that split....

20231118_124403.jpg

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, datzenmike said:

That shouldn't be in there. The thermostat sits in a shallow 'well' in the thermostat housing and the gasket sits on top of it sealing it.

j0GiGPB.jpg

Ya I dont know.... I pretty sure it was my own doing but I cant remember what I did... I do remember the thermostat was loose when the housing was tight so I'm guessing I put an oring or gasket under it too....

The stant thermostat i was using had a really thin flange...20231118_164556.thumb.jpg.4863e714dc541aa7874d15a8e5fad7e2.jpg

I replaced it with a heavy duty model from gates.... you can see a thicker flange edge, almost looks like a crush washer....

Screenshot_20231118-165659_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.1de8cdd8021e72afcf7f63c4da2a7780.jpg

Just placing it all together it was nice and snug.... I used a mahle gasket with an extra seal on it... I placed the gray ring down ....

20231118_164128.thumb.jpg.d89d7f16a252a144465b861d733fb3ca.jpg

I was much happier with this setup...

Tomorrow I'll take it for a drive and see how it does....

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Ha whoops! 

Still 32 miles is more fun then 3.2, so I’ll hold my ground! 

I'll get at least that many put on it this week, its suppose to be nice for the beginning of the week... tomorrow I'll get the 3.2 atleast...  unless I get a reason to drive somewhere...

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

Ya I dont know.... I pretty sure it was my own doing but I cant remember what I did... I do remember the thermostat was loose when the housing was tight so I'm guessing I put an oring or gasket under it too....

The stant thermostat i was using had a really thin flange...

I replaced it with a heavy duty model from gates.... you can see a thicker flange edge, almost looks like a crush washer....

Just placing it all together it was nice and snug.... I used a mahle gasket with an extra seal on it... I placed the gray ring down ....

20231118_164128.thumb.jpg.d89d7f16a252a144465b861d733fb3ca.jpg

I was much happier with this setup...

Tomorrow I'll take it for a drive and see how it does....

In general, I use gaskets specified for Mopar vehicles.  Their flanges are thicker and fit the Nissan family castings better.

• Like 2

Unfortunately I was paying attention to my temperature and not the mileage and went right past 20,000..

20231119_150255.thumb.jpg.8b35bd0508bba6ee71c245da21112ae3.jpg

Oh well...

The thermostat fix was a success.. true test will be in the am when it's really cold.... I could definitely tell the difference today but it was about 50 out.... still it stayed at the center line even on the highway where it usually would drop... One think realized is I need to get a hotter sensor for my fans.... It seems  I am using a 170 degree sensor with a 180 thermostat so the fans are on when the really dont need to be .... I want them on when the thermostat opens....

• Like 2