A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

The one thing I found that got me curious were some efi throttle bodies for gsxr motorcycles....

Hmm...

20221119_102835.thumb.jpg.b6e109bbd273cdd8dd306574f46858dc.jpg

20221119_102848.thumb.jpg.a6aa307bdd2cb1e4bde30dd733f88d4b.jpg

One setup is much more complete and free vs the other....

I kind of wish I had a spare motor for an experiment....

I have everything apparently,  If i remember correctly i wanted to try to convert my motorcycle to efi about 16 years ago.... 

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Spare Gixxer motor, or spare L motor?

L motor, I'd love to have efi in my truck for how much I drive it...

I have 2 gsxr motors already... 1- 750 in a box and a 600 in the bike in my garage.... the 600 is the one I wanted to try to change to efi but I thought about trying the parts on a datsun motor.... maybe I'll see if I can do the bike instead....

On 11/21/2022 at 10:53 AM, Crashtd420 said:

The one thing I found that got me curious were some efi throttle bodies for gsxr motorcycles....

Hmm...

20221119_102835.thumb.jpg.b6e109bbd273cdd8dd306574f46858dc.jpg

20221119_102848.thumb.jpg.a6aa307bdd2cb1e4bde30dd733f88d4b.jpg

One setup is much more complete and free vs the other....

I kind of wish I had a spare motor for an experiment....

I have everything apparently,  If i remember correctly i wanted to try to convert my motorcycle to efi about 16 years ago.... 

wcMqaW8.jpg

I'll try it for you.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'd love to but the problem is I dont have money to offer you for it....

What makes you think I want any? It’s yours if you want it. It’s complete. Ran fine when I pulled it. Head gasket is brand new. I think it has the original rings in it still, so it could probably use a full rebuild.

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

What makes you think I want any? It’s yours if you want it. It’s complete. Ran fine when I pulled it. Head gasket is brand new. I think it has the original rings in it still, so it could probably use a full rebuild.

That would be cool than... let me message you later and maybe we can figure something out... I'd love to pick it up in the datsun but I might have to be in my nissan....

Thanks....

2 hours ago, datzenmike said:

I see.....

So the EFI has a built in fuel pump? and I assume there is an electronics box (ECU) ? and you need an O2 sensor??? and probably a signal from the distributor???

Those are just the throttle bodies, they have a fuel rail and injectors. I believe it has a throttle position sensor and a secondary butterfly that acts similar to constant velocity slides in the motorcycle carburator...

I do have the high pressure pump which is in the tank, the wiring harness, coils for each plug, ecu and various other parts that might be  needed... it does use an o2 sensor and I believe a cam sensor....

Not sure about the distributor signal.... I know there is something in the motorcycle engine that does that.. a pickup of some sort.....

I did find a company that make a standalone ECU and control screen... I'd like to see if I can make it function without spending money first though.. I think I have enough parts to do that....

• Like 1

Well since Mainer311 is donating an engine to this idea I figured I should start looking through the parts to see what I actually had....

Already robbed a relay from my old gsxr in the corner.... 

20221125_152445.thumb.jpg.dcfa314cc922724c0a78a1b9fe5cd1ab.jpg

Another piece of information I found was the firing order is the same as the datsun... 

Next I need to download a wiring diagram and see what it will take to make this work.... I'm hoping to make a bench rig first just to see if I can get the injectors and coils to fire....

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well since Mainer311 is donating an engine to this idea I figured I should start looking through the parts to see what I actually had....

Already robbed a relay from my old gsxr in the corner.... 

20221125_152445.thumb.jpg.dcfa314cc922724c0a78a1b9fe5cd1ab.jpg

Another piece of information I found was the firing order is the same as the datsun... 

Next I need to download a wiring diagram and see what it will take to make this work.... I'm hoping to make a bench rig first just to see if I can get the injectors and coils to fire....

This is an exciting project! Not sure what I can help with but let me know! 

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, demo243 said:

This is an exciting project! Not sure what I can help with but let me know! 

honestly I'm not even 50% sure about what I'm doing right now.. never mind what help I may need but I'll gladly ask for help when needed... when I'm ready to try starting it you and mainer311 are both welcome to come by no matter what... I'm sure I'll hit you up between now and then... 

• Like 1

Typically an EFI system needs some sort of crank angle sensor, O2 sensor, MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, MAF or AFM sensor, intake air temp sensor (which could be built into the AFM or MAF). There are differences between "open loop" an "closed loop" EFI systems. Open loop can use set numbers instead of sensors, and is a lot less hassle to retrofit.

A crank angle sensor could be 1:1, ie - reading the crank, or 2:1 if reading at the cam or distributor.

Here's an interesting article on a motorcycle forum - https://motofomo.com/open-loop-vs-closed-loop-fuel-injection/

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Typically an EFI system needs some sort of crank angle sensor, O2 sensor, MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor, throttle position sensor, MAF or AFM sensor, intake air temp sensor (which could be built into the AFM or MAF). There are differences between "open loop" an "closed loop" EFI systems. Open loop can use set numbers instead of sensors, and is a lot less hassle to retrofit.

A crank angle sensor could be 1:1, ie - reading the crank, or 2:1 if reading at the cam or distributor.

Here's an interesting article on a motorcycle forum - https://motofomo.com/open-loop-vs-closed-loop-fuel-injection/

I'll give that a read thanks... 

Luckily the couple sensors I might be missing are easily obtained...

The cam sensor is the one I'm not sure what to do with....

There is a pin on the end of the cam, I'll post a picture later... I have though about using the location of the eccentric that drives the fuel pump to make some thing different to bolt in its place that has a pin for the sensor... then I have to figure out mounting... 

I'm sure I'll be picking your brain at some point 

A basic magnetic pickup. Could be a HAL sensor. Don't know.

It would be easy enough to machine a plate that bolts to the fuel pump boss, with a bore the same size as that cam sensor. Then since the original design already uses a cam sensor, it seems a single point trigger wheel could be affixed to the cam pretty easily.

Here's a HAL sensor system that replaces the L distributor - https://www.onesixindustries.com/product/nissan-datsun-l-series-crank-angle-sensor

image.png.38184c68d2d3d23dceaa7c349dd359ef.png

image.png.7aa55e33c91c3519cd387d9d930bfdcd.png

• Like 5

Just thought of something else. Try to avoid the pickup kits that are on the crank snout. Maybe they have made significant improvements, I don't know, but back in the day, they were not very durable and could get knocked out by a piece of debris kicked up off the road. Or contaminated by metal debris that covers the magnetic tip. Inside the engine is the best place for it.

• Like 1

That hal sensor is pretty sweat.... 

I am really hoping to use the single point pickup cam sensor... I'm a ways off still..... 

I did get the motor from mainer311 today.....

20221127_124137.thumb.jpg.3aa821ea3317c7bd005943f4e0fa41c9.jpg

Plan of attack is to build a test stand for the engine... I have a spare bellhousing I can use to mount a starter.... and go from there.....

As stated before hoping for a crude proof of concept before spending any money....  

• Like 3