A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

A smooth flowing bend is ideal, but for a filler neck, you could miter cut the tubes and weld them together in any configuration you like. I don't really know what it is supposed to look like in that area, but from your pics, a mitered/welded filler looks like a possibility.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A smooth flowing bend is ideal, but for a filler neck, you could miter cut the tubes and weld them together in any configuration you like. I don't really know what it is supposed to look like in that area, but from your pics, a mitered/welded filler looks like a possibility.

The biggest problem is I dont believe there will even be enough room between the tank and the frame to do that once I have the tank where I want it....

I believe the neck needs to go vertical first... 

I'll make some tape lines and marks later about the idea in my head and see what you guys think before I start cutting....

Hoping to cut it up Saturday.   

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Oh, I didn't realize the tank needed to move over first.

Some of those filler necks are simply soldered onto the tank. You may be able to un-solder it with a mapp torch. Careful not to blow yourself up though.

I'll  look at that but what I have planned might be easier for me to execute....

To be determined.....

As far as not blowing myself up I think I'll be ok....

I air purged it for a few hours.....

Basically my air compressor with a zip tied air nozzle into the tank..... I would charge it up to full psi then plug in the air gun on about 10 psi and let it drain the tank.. I did that like 5 times... it smelled like gas in my garage something bad..... that was last weekend..... now there is no gas smell in the garage or the tank.... 

• Like 2

I'm already rethinking my next idea.....

I went out to better visualize things and got some mock up pictures....

One thing I noticed was the top and bottom were exactly the same as far as the stamped metal.... obviously fittings are installed in the appropriate sides.... so I flipped the tank over to fit and show clearance to the frame.....

It's only about 1 1/2 clearance from the frame to the top of that angle where the filler neck would be....

20210129_172730.jpg

So my idea for cutting was to basically cut too much.... 

20210129-172451.jpg

I thought if I cut a nice square top and side I could rotate 180 and the filler would be on top..... cardboard to visualize....

20210129-172251.jpg

To 

20210129-172303.jpg....

One I got it in place going straight up might not be the best way....

20210129-172724.jpg

• Like 2

I think I'm just going to cut the filler neck out in a nice square at its base.... 

Then treat that as just a repair.... easy square piece welded back in....

From there I can extract just the filler tube from the square I cut off....

Then I can place the filler neck wherever and cut a hole to fit... I think the best location is going to be just about where it is now, approximately at a 45 right off the upper corner of the tank... angled up basically just enough to clear the frame and have room for a rubber hose to attach...

That's the current plan for tomorrow.... plus figure how to mount the tank....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

20210129-172724.jpg

Where is the location of the fill door on the bed in that picture?

Edit / Opps the tank is now on the driver side and was thinking passenger did I miss why you switched sides?

Edited by Ooph!
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

521 tank is on left or driver's side, 620 is on the right.

Why not loose the spare tire and put a custom tank behind differential

Mostly because my battery already lives there and my gas tank is in good shape and I really don't want to deal with filling my tank through the bed..... 

Also the crossmember that's in the far back has all my lights and license plate mounted off of it.... 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, demo243 said:

Will this interfere with the bed when it sits on the frame?

Probably that's why I'm going somewhere inbetween.....

Once I saw that picture I thought the same thing..... that's why I was using the cardboard to visualize it better

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

If you had cut a rectangle up higher into the top around the corner you could have just flipped it around and welded it back in...?

That was the original hope but as demo pointed out it might not work out so well once the beds on....

Still trying to keep connected to stock filler opening on the bed...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Charlie69 said:

Shave the filler opening and put it where ever you need, this is one of the flaws in Beebani's design.   

Yes I agree....

There are some thing's design wise that could have been better.... 

Mainly that front crossmember....

I probably would have done a drop down bracket off the crossmember instead if I was making this.... that would keep the crossmember higher but the mounting tabs for the bar lower and with the correct geometry.....

I'm not about to go back and reengineer anything.... I'm about 90% happy with what he supplied me....

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, greenthumb said:

Props to you for trying to get the OE filler location to work. Whenever I see fillers in the cargo bed of a modified truck, I throw up in my mouth a little 😀

If I had no choice I would but I'm not a fan either.... I'd be the one to run out of gas because I actually used it as a truck....

• Like 1