Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Dust gets into the contacts and screws with them. I have a similar problem on my Lincoln 255 TIG. It gets dirty, I open it up, clean it out, and I'm off to the races.

I wish It was that simple, No such luck for me, relay is a sealed unit....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2

Switched gears alittle, since I'm going to disk brakes I need to change the residual valve in the master cylinder... 

I thought that was going to go a little easier I was hoping to just remove the residual valve....

20210309-170126.jpg

I ended up having to remove the master cylinder ...

20210309-171410.jpg

I also got rid of the wilwood proportioning valve,  not even sure why I ever had it....

I have a inline valve that I'll be installing where the proportioning valve was.....

• Like 1

Today went better i was able to reinstall the master cylinder and install the willwood valve...

20210310-162922.jpg

For anyone who hates doing brake line flares this tool is awesome.....

20210310-160535.jpg

I dont think I have ever done such a nice flare... I'm actually looking forward to doing the rear brake lines.....

20210310-160542.jpg

On a sad note my nissan frontier started to act up on me.... It decided to die in the middle of traffic for no apparent reason.... had to push it to the side to get out of the way, luckily my wife and the guy behind me jumped out and pushed.... after a minute it restarted and i got it home with no more issue, as I let it idle in the driveway after about 30 seconds it would die..... I was able to repeat this a couple times trying to figure it out, oh and no codes came up on the dash... after dinner about an hour or so later i tried it again and the damn thing just idled with no issue.... not sure what to do.... 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

On a sad note my nissan frontier started to act up on me.... It decided to die in the middle of traffic for no apparent reason.... had to push it to the side to get out of the way, luckily my wife and the guy behind me jumped out and pushed.... after a minute it restarted and i got it home with no more issue, as I let it idle in the driveway after about 30 seconds it would die..... I was able to repeat this a couple times trying to figure it out, oh and no codes came up on the dash... after dinner about an hour or so later i tried it again and the damn thing just idled with no issue.... not sure what to do.... 

I just had a Nissan Xterra with the same symptoms, no codes and would run well then like crap or not at all. It was the timing module, a new distributor cured it. I don't know what year you have but the 2004 Frontier uses the same part $90. Rock Auto

Edited by Ooph!
more info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ooph! said:

I just had a Nissan Xterra with the same symptoms, no codes and would run well then like crap or not at all. It was the timing module, a new distributor cured it. I don't know what year you have but the 2004 Frontier uses the same part $90. Rock Auto

It's a 2012... I'll look into that..... thanks....

• Like 1

Hopefully it'll throw a code before too long. Sometimes failing sensors take a little while to show up as a CEL light code. 

Do you have a scanner? If you don't, you can run a CEL diagnostic manually with the ignition and gas pedal.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

Hopefully it'll throw a code before too long. Sometimes failing sensors take a little while to show up as a CEL light code. 

Do you have a scanner? If you don't, you can run a CEL diagnostic manually with the ignition and gas pedal.

No scanner but I might be investing in one sooner than later.... 

I'll look up and try that diagnostic tip.. 

I tried to take it to a shop but they pretty much said without a code or it failing in front of them they couldnt do anything for me yet..... and yes this morning it's running just fine,  just waiting for it to screw me now..... 

Even more insult to injury is the weather is getting nicer and I'm not done with the datsun..... 

I'm still probably a few weeks from being done.... not much spare time lately....

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Fuel pump can do that too.

I had thought that too, at first I figured maybe just change the fuel filter and see if I get lucky but I couldn't find it....

Seems like it's in the tank , probably part of the pump.... not what I was hoping for.....

4 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Listen for the pump.

Is it low on fuel?

I do hear it come on and I have over 3/4 of a tank so plenty of fuel....

Drove around fine today, although it made me extremely nervous when I'd have to wait at a light.... 

For now I'm hoping it doesnt screw me too soon and I can get the datsun back together... then when it does I'll have a vehicle to drive to work still.... 

Due to time I did sub out welding the rear axle though... the part to fix my welder hasn't even shipped yet, so I said screw it... also welding the axle had me extremely nervous I wasnt going to do a good enough job... 

As it turns out my prep work sucked in some spots, so this guys gonna just make it all good for me and I'm not going to worry... 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Fuel pumps get hot and when splashed with cold fuel, ie- when filling up, they can seize. Sometimes this kills them completely, while sometimes it is just a death rattle.

Who knows what's going on....

I have been looking at full system obd2 scanners all day...

I was hoping to find one that wasn't extremely expensive but can check more than just a check engine code...

I have seen some than output live data, like fuel pressure and such... I'd like one that can reset stuff like the steering angle sensors or even be able to cycle the abs module for bleeding, amoung other things...

Another reason I prefer my datsun...

• Like 1

Crash, take a look at using Torque Pro app on a smart phone with the Advanced LT for Nissan plugin for it.  Advanced LT for Nissan adds a bunch of Nissan specific PIDS (sensor readouts) to the Torque app.  Torque can do data logging and real time data streaming.

Cost wise, you are looking at $15 for a blue tooth OBD scanner, like $7 for Torque pro, and I'm not sure the cost on the LT plug in, but it still won't be more than a few dollars.

It might not do everything you need, but for the cost, it might be worth it to get you farther down your path.

Edited by Lockleaf
  • Like 2
30 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'd like one that can reset stuff like the steering angle sensors or even be able to cycle the abs module for bleeding, amoung other things...

That's funny that you mention those, because I had issues with both of them this past year. I put extended stainless lines on the front and rear (I was maxed out in the front from my lift) and had trouble bleeding the brakes afterwards. It's basically all related to that GD ABS module. Steering angle sensor is a b!tch every time you disconnect the battery.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

That's funny that you mention those, because I had issues with both of them this past year. I put extended stainless lines on the front and rear (I was maxed out in the front from my lift) and had trouble bleeding the brakes afterwards. It's basically all related to that GD ABS module. Steering angle sensor is a b!tch every time you disconnect the battery.

Havent delt with the abs bleeding but I know it exists... I found out how much steering angle sensors such with my wifes car, i really hate the electronic on these newer vehicles ... it's either pay for diagnostics which is usually like 100 to start or spend the money up front for a good scan too that covers more than the autozone one does....

The good ones seem to be between $200 and $400 depending on features.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
39 minutes ago, Lockleaf said:

Crash, take a look at using Torque Pro app on a smart phone with the Advanced LT for Nissan plugin for it.  Advanced LT for Nissan adds a bunch of Nissan specific PIDS (sensor readouts) to the Torque app.  Torque can do data logging and real time data streaming.

Cost wise, you are looking at $15 for a blue tooth OBD scanner, like $7 for Torque pro, and I'm not sure the cost on the LT plug in, but it still won't be more than a few dollars.

It might not do everything you need, but for the cost, it might be worth it to get you farther down your path.

I'll check that out... that will atleast help with the nissan... 

If I spend the big bucks I want something to cover my wifes car and the rest of my family's cars atleast then I can justify the cost....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Code readers only tell you the trouble code. There is no code for "fuel pump", but am 02 sensor code might denote a failing fuel pump. A throttle position code might denote a bad VSS. Etc...

That's why I was looking at some that were a little more money.. your right it won't tell me if the pump is faulty but some of the systems have live data and would show fuel pressure... 

I just figured this won't be the last issue with my truck or the wifes car.. I could have saved my self money already with her car if I owned one...

I guess I'm not ready to just pay when ever something breaks, I still like fixing my own vehicle's but I need to be armed with some newer tools....

• Like 2

Back to the datsun,  

I vacuumed out all the metal and grinding grit from the tank and washed it out.... 

In the process I was checking for leaks.... the side hole patch was 100% leak free.... 

The filler neck had 1 spot that was barely seeping.... I was able to sneak one last weld out of my broke down welder and get it sealed up..... 

Tomorrow I'll make sure it all clean and ready to be re sealed... mostly the new bare metal and any pin hole in my weld will luckily get filled with the sealant....

• Like 2