A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stroffgren I dont believe that would work.... lowering that front crossmember puts my gas tank in the way.... the cables actually have a nice path right now...

So now I need to address the gas tank..... how I plan to mount it will also determine how I mount the brake cables.... hard to explain , pictures to come as I make progress .....

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I did find that the oil drain plug gasket from my 2012 nissan frontier will fit the gas tank drain plug on my 521

20210124_123431.jpg

Off Topic--- But... Seeing that you are using what looks like Nissan copper crush washers--- are you using Nissan Filters on that frontier? 

I refuse to use the Nissan filters on my KAs in the 510 and the 620! Their rubber gasket is very thin and fragile, and are what I believe caused the 510 to puke all its oil out when i first got the KA up and running.  Just a heads up! On my Tacoma I run Toyota OEM... but on the Dattos I have been running the Bosche filters. Need to do some more research on them, but they had a nice big rubber gasket. 

Back on topic... Truck is coming along nicely! Hopefully I'll get my sway bars from FutoFab soon... That way I can keep up! 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, demo243 said:

Off Topic--- But... Seeing that you are using what looks like Nissan copper crush washers--- are you using Nissan Filters on that frontier? 

No I think I have a bosche or wix on the nissan right now....

Only reason I had some of those washers on hand is i needed a new oil drain plug and nissan had both in stock.. 

It's funny the frontier and my wife's Subaru use the same filter.... I use royal purple oil in hers so I have a couple on hand... and I'm not sure but I think filters are a little different if using synthetic...

I think I have 2 more regular oil changes on hand for the Nissan then I'll probably use royal purple after that.....

Datsun has been using it too since I rebuilt the motor....

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I got the cables hooked together and around the stock parking brake piece behind the cab....

Cables are temporarily zip tied to the crossmember,  I'll get some clamps to secure them.....I'll be making something to hold the front of the cable forward of the crossmember.... 

20210124_115427.jpg

Did you cycle your rear suspension up and down to be sure the cables do not tighten or loosen up?

10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I was trying to figure out a way for you to route the cables without having them hang low under the axle. Seems like they would be more likely to get hung up on things in that configuration.

Trust me I was too..... 

Picture might be a little deceiving... they are kind of just hanging.... 

I'll be securing them up some how better.... 

I appreciate the concerns and ideas from everyone,  this has been a slight struggle for me but I  do believe I'm going in the best possible direction for my setup...

• Like 3

I only half ass shoved the gas tank , sitting on a box and touching the crossmember....

Looks like I have enough ground clearance so that's good....

The filler neck is the issue.....

20210125-164215.jpg

20210125-164242.jpg

I had thought about cutting into the tank but after discussing this with my friend at work he suggested just going after the filler neck..... so I'm gonna start with with shortening the neck to get the tank to fit and then figure out how to route the filler.....

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

As long as you've got the clearance for the gast tank neck -  may want to check this out: Flexible / reinforced  fuel hoses

20-0297.jpg?w=600&h=400&mode=crop

RadiumProd-1435.jpg?ts=040647

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Fill-Neck-Hoses-P1100.aspx

I'll keep that in mind.... I was hoping to just add some metal pipe to put the inlet back where It was before, in relation to the frame, so i can reuse the filler tube I was using before to connect it to the bed..... 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A quick google search shows many angled filler necks. You could chop one up to get the right angle, or you could go to your local muffler shop and have them bend a piece that you can cut up to get around the frame rail.

That's basically what I'm hoping to do.... 

I just need to get back out to the garage..

Family has been keeping me busy... then we got some snow recently....

Luckily I still have a good amount of time before I want to be driving it again.... 

• Like 2
Just now, demo243 said:

@Crashtd420 or @mainer311 either of you want a 521 bed trailer?

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/154212266347356/

looks like it’s in RI. If it was a 620 bed I’d probably be all over it hahaha

I had to drive to Pennsylvania for a bed for my truck about 4 years ago.....

If I had room I might go for it.... I always thought having a trailer the same as the stock bed would look cool...

I had half an idea back then to extend the bed and use 2 axles but the smoke cleared and I came to my senses....

• Like 2

Well the gas tank idea isnt going to work like I thought.... 

If I cut the filler neck enough so I can place the gas tank closer to the frame there is no room to add piping.....

I might have no choice but to completely relocate the filler to the top and then run a 90 degree elbow over to the frame....

I really didnt want to cut in the tank but I have an idea of where I'd like to cut .. just need to measure it out tomorrow and see if it will do what I want....

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well the gas tank idea isnt going to work like I thought.... 

If I cut the filler neck enough so I can place the gas tank closer to the frame there is no room to add piping.....

I might have no choice but to completely relocate the filler to the top and then run a 90 degree elbow over to the frame....

I really didnt want to cut in the tank but I have an idea of where I'd like to cut .. just need to measure it out tomorrow and see if it will do what I want....

Too tight for a 90 bend right out of the tank? Then you could angle it from the there... or even a straight angle out of the tank?

Just thinking back to what the exhaust shop did to get my exhaust from my header around the torsion bar...

20200222_150214

I guess you still might need to cut the tank, but it would be in the same location.

• Like 2