A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Mode 6 is a good feature on scanners.  Some vehicles have a threshold before they will trip a check engine light.    You can run that mode and go thru the data to check if there are failures.  Last ford I was on had a misfire you could feel, but was not throwing a code.  But by going thru that, I saw that cylinder 5 had (i think it was, been a few months) around 40 misfires per thousand.  40 was not enough to trip that light, but you could feel it.  You might see something in that data that would help you.

If you want a awesome scanner, get one with bi directional abilities.  Its on my want list.   I want a really nice one that can do ecu's, keys and fobs as well.  I am considering using my gubment money on one soon.  Only thing that is really holding me back is not wanting to buy a pos or overpay, like my buddy with his snap on.

Edited by bilzbobaggins
  • Like 3
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

If you want a awesome scanner, get one with bi directional abilities.  Its on my want list.   I want a really nice one that can do ecu's, keys and fobs as well.  I am considering using my gubment money on one soon.  Only thing that is really holding me back is not wanting to buy a pos or overpay, like my buddy with his snap on.

Couldnt have said it any better... 

And same idea about spending the the government money for it....

I'm sure I'll post the details on the one I finally decided on....

Do you have a model your looking at that you like or are you still looking?

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Are these things even compatible with Nissan Consult?

Most are.... but I have been double checking, because some won't do everything on certain vehicles...

And some dont even go past 2016.... not to mention some have a yearly membership.... 

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Nice job on the tank. The original fuel tank in my '57 Land Rover had about 15 pinhole leaks in it that we sealed with that red fuel tank sealer. It lasted about 10 years until I finally built a new, aluminum tank.

I had some sort of red sealer already in the tank.. it was pretty bad inside before, I had to have a professional shop clean and seal it.... I'm hoping I bought the same stuff they used, this stuff got great reviews....

20210313_123053.jpg

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Couldnt have said it any better... 

And same idea about spending the the government money for it....

I'm sure I'll post the details on the one I finally decided on....

Do you have a model your looking at that you like or are you still looking?

https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Injector-Programming-dp-B07FCDWZKW/dp/B07FCDWZKW/ref=dp_ob_title_auto

These seem to do everything I would need at the shop.  There seems to be lots of videos showing how to do things.  I have zero formal training so this is something I am worried about.  Gotta be able to use the damn thing.

I am waiting as we speak to hear back from my buddy with the snap on.  He was working at a big body shop in town till he finally went on his own.  Hell of a body man.  Anyways, that shop would call a fellow in to do things they couldnt do.  He had a scanner that was considerably cheaper than my buddys snap on and is supposed to do everything his snap on would do with all the support as well.  

• Like 2

I was able to get the gas tank degreased today as per the instructions in preparation for treatment tomorrow....

I also sanded anything loose or sharp around the frame and the gas tank/ebrake cable/ exhaust bracket..

After I scrubbed them both with scotch bright and degreaser, and proceeded to make a mess washing it off. I had to use the hose in the garage so I put it on mist and layed a bunch of extra cardboard down to try to soak up the water...

After that was using the metal prep in preparation for the por15... repeat messing washing that off too....

Currently everything is drying, I'm going to try to get out there in a little with my heat gun and airgun and make sure no water is trapped anywhere....

Tomorrows goal is seal the tank and 2 coats of por15 on the frame and bracket....

The axle and link bars will get done together in the next round....

• Like 2

Gas tank I think came out good, hard to see all the way inside...

The stuff gets tacky really quick...

The hardest part was getting it back out...

Once I got as much as I could out I just kept placing it in different positions to let any excess roll down the inside seam then flat upside down and then right side up with one end always up.... I kept repositioning for about 20 minutes and then it all setup and I saw no more liquid moving around everything had a nice even coat.....

Last round will be later tonight after dinner, final coat on the frame and bracket... 

• Like 1

Well I wasnt lucky enough to purchase a scanner before I needed it....

Nissan screwed me this morning, couldn't even make it around the block but it finally popped a code.... no idea what, no time or desire to deal with it.... I did manage to get it to my mechanic so now i just wait and see ....

I got lucky the wife had the day off so I took her car...

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Just an FYI, if it is the crank sensor, have your mechanic put an actual Nissan sensor back in. They're like $40 or so. I've heard the aftermarket ones only last for a few months, and then it throws the code again.

The good thing about where I go is they like to use oem parts when ever possible....

On a sensor like that I'd rather have an oem part installed.....

Unfortunately they haven't looked at it yet, but they were busy and I did just drop it in their lap.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2
21 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Willing to bet it's a P0335. Most guys I know keep a spare in the glovebox.

Guess who was right....

Bad crank angle sensor...

They even said they want to get an oem one because anything aftermarket sucks.... 

Should have it back today....

• Like 3

Yup things finally heading in a good direction....

Nissan is fixed and home...

Part to fix my welder finally arrived..

And my axle should be final welded and ready to pick up by friday....

Hopefully I can get the axle and all the remaining parts coated this weekend.... 

Tonight I was able to get a few things done.... I had some taped holes that needed to be cleaned out as well as some holes, for some fuel and brake lines clamps, that I only drilled which needed tapping ... 

I was able to mount and connect the rear brake line tee, and mount the circuit breaker and cable..... 

• Like 1

Another thing bugging me was the proximity of the fuel pump to the exhaust pipe.....

20210319-174110.jpg

So I did a proper ratsun heat shield....

20210319-174942.jpg

Added 2 mounting studs to the bracket....

20210319-182206.jpg

Mounted....

20210319-183047.jpg

Covered with a heat shield matterial and no longer looking like a coffee can....

20210319-184552.jpg

20210319-184851.jpg

• Like 2