A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Moving along today I was able to get all the rear brake lines made and the fuel system all connected....

Not really happy with the way it came out but it's not horrible and its functional....

I also had some heat shield sleeves I was use to cover all the metal fuel lines....

20210320_133533.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was able to get everything cleaned and ready for this morning....

20210320-203537.jpg

20210320-203503.jpg

Also while I was in the garage  I did a little cleaning up and  i started routing the rear harness and adding some wire loom....

The axle wasn't done on friday but it actually worked out for me... I have plenty to keep me busy this week....

So plan is to get as much done as possible, and next weekend I can clean prep and paint the axle.... 

And hopefully be done and driving by the first week of April.....

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Be sure to assemble the link joints with anti seize on the threads. They will eventually rust and the size of the thread makes them a bitch to break loose once rusted.

Lookin good.

I have a jar of anti seize sitting on the battery waiting for use....  

I have been using it on everything to make sure I dont have that as a future issue.....

• Like 3

2nd round of paint is done....

While I had time this afternoon I also got about 98% of the wiring cleaned up and secured...

20210321-170710.jpg

20210321-170701.jpg

All I have left is the chassis ground, license plate light and to hook up the fuel sending unit... I'm still letting the tank air out as much as possible before I add gas.....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 3

I was able to pick up my axle today, and I'm very happy I decided to have someone else weld it....

20210322-164113.jpg

While I'm confident in the welds I have done connecting the crossmembers to the frame I dont think I would have done this good of a job on the axle.... 

20210322-164053.jpg

• Like 3

Does anyone know if these would be the same shims for the 521 axle?

They are all h190s right?

I crossreferenced what I could on carpartsmanual.com ..

This is a listing for a 1980 720... it has the same numbers listed for the 620... the 521 had similar prefix numbers but followed by b3000 vs p0110......

Also would these be metric?

I hope so because I don't need a .500 shim 1/2"....

.500mm would be better at .020"

Screenshot_20210322-195705_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

Well I tried the nissan dealer with the part numbers hoping they had a couple in stock to at least see if I'm correct, no luck... he said they were out there just at a bunch of different locations and nothing local.... I could actually get them online faster.... so I guess I'll cross my fingers and hope I'm right.... he did agree that the thickness is probably in metric, makes sense....

So I figured I would assemble my hub and axle to verify the shims in need , I didnt even get past installing the seal.....

The nissan seal is discontinued so

I bought a national seal 1974 which is supposed to be correct for the 521...

However I found the the specs are not correct now that I have everything apart.. and yes I threw the old seal out before realizing this... it needed replacing regardless....

Screenshot-20210323-180139-Chrome.jpg

The inside diameter is too big...

I measured the axle shaft as 1.875...

Does anyone has a solution for this?

22 minutes ago, MikeRL411 said:

Never throw the old part away until you are finished [and maybe keep it for the next reorder].

It was a rookie mistake.... 

I have a second set of axles I'm going to remove the bearing and hub from that and compare....

Atleast the bearing and inner seal are correct....

Also just found this bit of info, this suggests the outside diameter might be wrong too.... 

I'll probably bring a hub with me to work to check the hub diameter for the seal.... 

I was looking up seals by size,  I found one with the correct I'd but not the correct od...  maybe this new number will help....

Screenshot_20210323-191948_Chrome.jpg

15 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Also just found this bit of info, this suggests the outside diameter might be wrong too.... 

I'll probably bring a hub with me to work to check the hub diameter for the seal.... 

I was looking up seals by size,  I found one with the correct I'd but not the correct od...  maybe this new number will help....

Screenshot_20210323-191948_Chrome.jpg

Not sure I would buy parts from a firm called KAKA PARTS >