Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, d.p said:

Just in time for that nice cool

weather my dude.  

Just barely...  

Hoping for a drive tomorrow...

I was able to get fluid flowing through all the new brake lines... I just need the wife to help me with one final bleed of the system to make sure all is good..... 

Parking brake seems to be working,  just need to see if it passes the test for inspection.... I think they said it has to hold the truck still up till 1500rpm... 

Only other thing I may have overlooked is without the bed going back on I might need to rig up some mud flaps or covers for the rear wheels... 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

No bed? At all? Ever?

#redneck

No just a few months... 

It's still the trailer bed I dragged home over 4 years ago...

Bottom is all rusty. .. 

Bed floor needs cleaning 

And it needs to be properly repainted.....

I have never done anything too it, I just unbolted from the trailer and bolted it to my datsun.....

So now it's time.....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, greenthumb said:

Just be extra careful, especially on wet roads, as that back end will easily slide or step out on you

I already thought about that.....

As much as I will be daily driving my 521 for the 8 or 9 months I tend to drive my Nissan on rainy days.... just so the nissan isnt sitting for 9 months without being used

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I keep a 400 pound steel grate in the back of my Dodge just for wet weather traction. And it helps smooth out the ride.

I did something similar for the winter in my nissan.... 

Hopefully this won't be a big problem for me in the datsun...

• Like 2

After getting home from work my wonderful wife came out to the garage to help me do one final bleed on the brake system ... 

After giving the truck a quick hose down to get all the dust and dirt off it I was able to go far a quick drive around town,  basically went and got some gas.... 

It was a night and day difference on the brakes.... but honestly I dont think my rear drum brakes were ever doing anything before, the drums and shoes were covered in gear oil when I removed everything....

The parking brake still needs a little attention.... it holds but not like I need it to for inspection.... i have 2 months to figure that out....

As for the suspension.... that's tuff to say right now... everything felt really good, nice and tight and no wierd noises, but due to the lack of weight it was a bit bouncy....

I believe the qa1 coilovers have almost 18 settings... I was at 8... then tried 6, when I got home i backed it down to only 2 clicks...

I'd rather not have to buy softer springs for only a could months but I might have too.... 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mainer311 said:

Like, oscillation bouncy, or rough? Spring preload comes into play here too.

I dont really know which describes it... I'll be taking it get my kid from school after work tomorrow... 

I'll be paying more attention to how it feels, I was just happy to be driving it.... 

It really feel like I have too much spring without the weight of the bed back there.. 

When I put the spring in I barely have it snuggled up so that the spring isnt loose but it's not compressed at all.... it barely compresses 1" when I put the truck on the ground and I measured the length of the coilover at a little over 14" I wanted to be at 13"..... 

This is 10" with a 250lb spring rate.... over a qa1 ds403...

Single Adjustable Shock

• Compressed Height: 11-1/8"
  • Extended Height: 15"
  • Ride Height: 12-1/2" to 13-1/4"
  • Spring Length: 10
Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2

When I pull bodies off chassis, the ride height rises a lot and the spring stiffness increases. It's only natural to fell like everything is too stiff when there's no weight on it.

Get the bed on before you make any rash decisions.

What's that old adage about changing horses...?

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

When I pull bodies off chassis, the ride height rises a lot and the spring stiffness increases. It's only natural to fell like everything is too stiff when there's no weight on it.

Get the bed on before you make any rash decisions.

What's that old adage about changing horses...?

The problem is that's not going to be a quick process. .. there is a good chance it will take me till fall to be able to get the bed redone and back on... time and money.... 

Wife has some house projects I have to deal with next.....

So I think I'm should spend the money and put some softer springs in the rear... 

I just think it's the safer option.... 

Atleast I'll have the springs for when the bed goes back on.....

So If I currently have 250lb springs and the weight loss is probably between 200 and 300 lbs without the bed, what do you think I should be looking at for softer springs....

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Springs aren't that expensive. I'd go to maybe 200 or even 175 and see what happens.

I just dont wanna be buying multiple sets.... I guess I can be careful and return them if needed..

I was originally thinking 100 or 125lb, but I don't think it translates like that.... 

Maybe I'll roll the dice on the 175lb ones and see what happens....

Thanks 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

I would wait until you have the bed on it.

But then I wont be able to drive it till the bed is done, which I stated earlier I wont be completing that till probably end of summer into the fall..

Not driving the datsun that's not an option..... 

I just purchased some springs from jegs right now.... they were only $41 each.... and if they are still to much or not enough I can exchange them for about $10..... 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Put something for weight approximately the weight of your bed to drive around to decide if you really need weaker springs.

That is cheap for springs.

Even the qa1 springs are cheap, only about $55-60..... 

I dont have that kind of weight or a place to put it unfortunately or I would try that... 

The reason I believe it needs lighter springs is under it's own weight it only compresses the spring an inch... most of my reading today says it should be compressing about 25% which means the spring should compress 2 1/2 inch ... so that's kind of what I'm basing things on.... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Set the bed on the chassis to measure the sag. That will give you an idea of how close they are.

That would be a task for me...

I have to do it by myself with a jerry rigged crane, I'm afraid if I put it on I wont take it back off..... 

Everyone that has done the coilovers on the datsun trucks,  at least that I have asked about, all used the 250 springs so I'm confident with the bed weight they will be ok.....

I was able to make the ride a little better around town by loosening the dampening/rebound.... 

My bigger concern is I'm close to the coilovers extended high, not in the recommended sweat spot for the ride height.....

And as I said springs are ordered, so I'll swap them on and see... worse case I waste $20 in shipping....

• Like 2

On a positive note on my way to pick up my son from school i decided to take a test run up the highway.... 

There is a spot I can get on and off real quick if necessary, but it wasnt neccessary.... Started with a nice 6000 rpm 2nd gear pull then a smooth 70mph cruise down a few exits on the highway.... 

Everthing felt great...

One big thing was whatever was causing my drivline vibration last year is gone...

I'm also thinking my low fuel pressure may have had something to do with the random misfires,  which may not have actually been misfires....

If that's right I might be able to put a little more full advance timing back in the motor.... 

• Like 1