Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I would also consider flipping the lower control arm so that the zerk is not pointed at the ground. You'll eventually shear it off on a speed bump.

I see your concern but then how do I grease it.... ?

Maybe I'll grab some plugs for the holes....

Grease remove zerk, then install plug....

• Like 1

Now that the gas tank and muffler are in place I started on my idea to secure the front of the brake cables.....

First was to bolt a removable plate to the crossmember.....

This will be an anchor point for a support bar..... 

20210206-124045.jpg

From there I'll run a bar up to the small crossmember holding the gas tank and exhaust mount.....

This will be directly above the cable....

20210206-141152.jpg

From there I made a bracket that will drop down from the cross bar and hold onto the cable... 

20210206-130356.jpg

Couple tabs to keep them secured to the bracket....

20210206-135104.jpg

20210206-135154.jpg

Drilled and bolted together....

20210206-140918.jpg

Rough idea of what I'm trying to achieve.....

20210206-141103.jpg

They will go under the bar, still need to trim them up and locate them.... I'll probably add a support gusset when I'm done.....

• Like 1

I was able to get some time to work on the brake cable bracket after work today..... After removing the bracket I added a front brace and something down the back to prevent the lower part from bending.....

20210208-172152.jpg

20210208-172137.jpg

Still need to weld it up and clean it up but this should be strong enough now..... hopefully.... 

• Like 2
Just now, Charlie69 said:

It has been a while but I think the 520 had springs that supported the e-brake cables between the mounts.

Is this bracketry because of the change of type of rear suspension?

Yes because the gas tank moved down, it's in the way of the original path the brake cable took....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

The more you throw at it, the crazier it gets.

Maybe take a step back and see if there is a simpler way.

Trust me I tried.... 

The only way to simplify would be to redesign that front crossmember for the suspension and raise the tank back up to where it belongs... but I'm too far in now.....

Hindsight is a bitch.....

I have the bracket welded up and braced up, so I'll try again to see if it works and go from there....

• Like 2

Had only a little time in the garage today but I was able to get the bracket reinstalled and the cables hooked back up.... 

Very happy, seems like it's going to work.... 

Still a little more to do before I can call it good but for now I know it will function..... 

I'm planning to buy a couple things to finish the gas tank, while I wait for that I need to figure out where the battery is going to live.... watts link occupies it's old home....

• Like 1

So in order to keep the battery in a similar location I had figure out a way to be able to swap the battery out without removing the bed...

I had thought about cutting an access hole in the bed similar to what the gas tank has above it,  but only as a last resort....

This is my current idea...

Used my old battery tray....

20210213-141243.jpg

After cutting the back edge and leaving the center.  I welded on 2 hinges,  and then finished cutting ...

20210213-141305.jpg

So in theory I'll be able to tilt the battery down for removal... 

On 2/3/2021 at 11:14 AM, Crashtd420 said:

Made good progress today..... not much going on at work so they let me take a half day.....

This is what I came up with for the rear gas tank mount.....

20210203-132225.jpg

20210203-125614.jpg

Cleaned up the front mount and added one more support....

20210203-132231.jpg

All bolted in....

20210203-135348.jpg

While the tank is well supported vertically something to think about is the horizontal component. I would be concerned that even with baffles, the liquid will surge forward when braking just like loose cargo sliding forward and hitting the cab. Liquid can't be contained and under deceleration (or acceleration) the front (or rear) of the tank becomes down and it 'falls' forwards and hammers it. At 6 pounds per US gallon and 10.8? gallons that's up to at least 60 pounds. A sudden stop is going to feel like a lot more than 60 pounds force on those spindly supports. They almost certainly will have to flex to absorb the hydraulic hammering against them and will crack.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, datzenmike said:

While the tank is well supported vertically something to think about is the horizontal component. I would be concerned that even with baffles, the liquid will surge forward when braking just like loose cargo sliding forward and hitting the cab. Liquid can't be contained and under deceleration (or acceleration) the front (or rear) of the tank becomes down and it 'falls' forwards and hammers it. At 6 pounds per US gallon and 10.8? gallons that's up to at least 60 pounds. A sudden stop is going to feel like a lot more than 60 pounds force on those spindly supports. They almost certainly will have to flex to absorb the hydraulic hammering against them and will crack.

I understand and appreciate what your saying but what I had before was actually a weaker design and it never failed in 3 years with plenty of bumps and miles....

I'm sure I can add a little more reinforcement but I do feel it's pretty solid....

• Like 1

Started to work on an idea to add a little more reinforcement to the front gas tank mount, only got as far as bolting a plate to the crossmember ..

I'm gonna do something similar to the bars holding the brake cables....

I can do the same for the rear mount except I will weld both ends since its between solid crossmembers... I'm waiting on parts I have on order to add the filler neck back into the gas tank,  after I get that located I'll add the rear reinforcement...

Only other thing I did today was bend a piece of metal for the battery box to reinforce the lower plate and help hold the battery....

20210214_135838.jpg

• Like 3

Got a little more work done to the battery box... 

Added side plates to keep the battery up and in place...

Top section is welded on, lower portion bolts up... I welded a nut on the inside.... 

20210217-163006.jpg

Next was figuring out placement... already changed from my original idea... ended up making a small crossmember to mount the box...

20210217-165903.jpg

Still need to get it in place and make sure everything clears the watts link, and nothing is in the way when I install and remove the battery .... 

I'll be adding some extra reinforcement too...

• Like 2