A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

I have also been thinking about my ebrake cable routing.... I am planning to run the cables that go with the caliper .. 

They sell a couple different length ones for the isuzu and I think I found a length that will work.... guess I'll cross my fingers and order them.... 

I know my exhaust will fit, I have a plan for the gas tank.... last thing to figure out will be mounting the battery.... I'm quickly running out of room under the bed.....

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ordered parking brake cables this morning...

2 that fit the calipers that are for a 1990 isuzu pickup , and then a 15" long intermediate cable that's just the cable no outer housing from a 1997 dodge ram.... 

The idea is to use the intermediate around the stock datsun arm the original cable looped around.... then connect that to the other 2 cables....

I'll have to make a mounting point for the 2 cables coming from the calipers but should be straight forward....

We shall see....

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

There are universal fit parking brake cables and also universal mounting brackets, splitters, adjusters, even solder-on ends.

Ya I thought about that..... I went this route just to keep it simple and use parts that are readily available.... 

• Like 2

I managed to get a little time in the garage tonight.....

Replaced the output shaft seal on the transmission then reassembled and installed the driveshaft..... also greased all the u joints...... 

Next I put a new pinion seal on the differential, it's one of the only seals I never replaced so it has to be 20 years old..... 

Main reason I wanted the driveshaft in was to be able to work out routing the parking brake cables..... 

Tomorrow's plan is to get the watts link finshed up and the coilover crossmember in place..... 

• Like 1

I thought this was going to happen.....

Compressor has been making some funny sounds and tripping the circuit breaker lately.....

Well it finally died.....

Ended up buying the same thing just newer model.... mine had to be 10years old so I dont think that's to bad.....

New one is so much quieter... 

20210117_152015.jpg

• Like 2

After I bought the compressor I was able to use my small hand grinder to clean up the frame where I need to weld.... I was able to get the coilover crossmember tacked in, and the 2 mounts for the watts link arms....

20210117-161720.jpg

Everything is where it needs to be, ready to finish weld everything..... 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

You sure it's ready to weld? Have you mocked it up with the shocks installed to see if it cycles properly? You can even make sure the bumpstops are the correct height during that cycling. Hard to cycle a suspension when the springs are in and the bed is on.

Yes I mocked up the coilovers without the springs and checked the bumpstops would hit first, might add a small spacer to the bump stops just to make them touch a slight bit sooner.... just didn't take pictures of all that.....

I cycled it with them and then further out of their range without them .... all moves nice, no binding....

Bed won't be going on till probably this summer... that needs to be stripped and painted properly..... 

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Yes I mocked up the coilovers without the springs and checked the bumpstops would hit first, might add a small spacer to the bump stops just to make them touch a slight bit sooner.... just didn't take pictures of all that.....

I cycled it with them and then further out of their range without them .... all moves nice, no binding....

Bed won't be going on till probably this summer... that needs to be stripped and painted properly..... 

Pat yourself on the back. This is probably the most comprehensive job anyone has done installing this kit. At least that I have seen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Pat yourself on the back. This is probably the most comprehensive job anyone has done installing this kit. At least that I have seen.

Thanks.... it's been quite the learning experience.... I had brief moment where I wanted to just put the leaf springs back in..... I'm glad I worked through it....

And I cant thankyou enough for being observant and helpful to get me to this point.... your shop sticker definitely earned its place on my truck....

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Anytime. Glad to help.

Also glad to also see it get completed, as so many Datsuns do not ever get there.

I hear you.... 

I'm just glad to be able to work on it while driving... winter is good for these type of projects... keeps me off the salty roads....

This did turn into a bigger project than anticipated....

Working on the parking brake now and I think I have an idea for my battery.....

Gas tank is probably going to be the next thing I'm gonna deal with... I need it in place to make sure my parking brake cables are not in the way..... 

• Like 2

Learned something tonight about the isuzu calipers I'm using.... they screw back in to reset.... trying to work out the cable routing, first idea didnt really go how I wanted.... short on time during the week but I'll take pictures to show.... 

Working on my next idea now..... 

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Learned something tonight about the isuzu calipers I'm using.... they screw back in to reset.... trying to work out the cable routing, first idea didnt really go how I wanted.... short on time during the week but I'll take pictures to show.... 

Working on my next idea now..... 

That’s good to know. There are a lot of modern calipers made like that now.

• Like 1

Well I'm watching the kid and his friend tonight so i cant sneak out the garage and work..

But i was able to sneak out for a couple pictures...

First just a catch up picture...

Coilovers mocked up ... and you can sort of see where I want to go with the parking cable on the left... trying to go under the coilover to the center and to the left of the driveshaft inbetween where the gas tank should be.... right side will be similar....

20210122-174929.jpg

But it will go under that crossmember...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

So the first problem using the isuzu cable was the angle of the cable bracket mounted to the caliper....

20210122-174757.jpg

The caliper mounting bracket would be in the way...

20210122-174819.jpg

Passenger side pic as reference, currently working on driverside....

Next I ground clearance in the bracket, that allowed me to seat the cable but I didn't like the way it positioned the cable... it was still angled towards the wheel... I believe its intended to be routed similar to the datsun cable down under the axle and gas tank.... 

• Like 1