A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

9 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Yes, they are the same..... 

All my measurements seem to be good....

They might measure the same on the bench but installed may require correction to make it all straight.

the method Stoffregen Motorsports explained is the way to go, you should be able to correct any imperfection unless somethings way off.

Edited by Ooph!
  • Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Ooph! said:

They might measure the same on the bench but installed may require correction to make it all straight.

the method Stoffregen Motorsports explained is the way to go, you should be able to correct any imperfection unless somethings way off.

All my measurements have been from the truck at the desired ride height.....

It looked worse in the picture then it did to my eye so I'm really hoping it was the camera angle....

I'll clean up the differential flange and reinstall it, then do some extra checks as stroffgren suggested, hes been extremely helpful..

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Is it possible that the control arm brackets on the axle are not identically placed? Do you have a digital inclonemeter?

Anything is possible..... 

And I do have a digital inclinometer...

I've been using that, a laser level, ruler's and tape measures..... 

If its wrong it should show somewhere in my measurements,  I dont wanna make to big a deal out of it yet..... 

I will wait to tack the watts link on till I'm sure the rest is good.....

Probably not working on it today...

Last day of vacation before back to work.....

• Like 2

I was asking because you can use the digital gauge to see if the axle side LCA brackets are set at the same angle. Aside from dropping a plumb bob off the LCA bolt holes on the axle, this is the easiest way to check.

If the brackets were not clocked the same, I could see the axle not lining up with that crossmember.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I was asking because you can use the digital gauge to see if the axle side LCA brackets are set at the same angle. Aside from dropping a plumb bob off the LCA bolt holes on the axle, this is the easiest way to check.

If the brackets were not clocked the same, I could see the axle not lining up with that crossmember.

I think I'm good....

Everything is equal and square on the outer arms.... the brackets are parallel and square.... I checked the crossmember to the axle housing , then cleaned the gasket surface and re installed the differential and checked that the flange was square to the crossmember..... 

At that point I chocked it up to camera angle.... everything seemed good....

So I started working on the watts link.... using a laser level I lined to the 2 grease fittings on the center bar as a reference for the center of watts link ... I took a measurement to the axle flanges and it was off... wtf.....

So I checked the centerline of my laser and sure enough it was off.... the bracket at the crossmember was good but the tabs on top of the axle were off.... hell in the picture it looks like a drunk lined it up.... or maybe a stoned machinist..... 

I also should have put the level on top left to right to make sure it was level...

Atleast I know what I did and was able to find it....

So ya I'll have to cut those tabs free, again and maybe bend the tabs slightly at the crossmember to line it up better. I dont want to just pull it into location... 

Screenshot_20210103-161326_Gallery.jpg

• Like 3

I always grind a small centerline mark in the axle housing before I get started. The most accurate CL measurement is taken from the axle housing ends, at the flange.

The most accurate way to reference your parts and pieces together is with a plumb bob and marks made on the floor. If your frame is not perfectly flat and level in both directions on the jack stands, you will not get accurate measurements. The reason I bring this up is because of your pic above. If you mark it to the floor (I use pieces of tape and a sharpie, or just sharpie on the concrete), are the results different or the same?

Also fore/aft axle centerline - this too should be marked on the floor and compared to your front LCA bolt centerline.

You get the floor marking concept right? It's a map that doesn't/can't move. For the various measurements, I take them on each side of the frame and use a long 6' level to draw a line the whole width across the floor for each point dropped to the floor. Then measuring from each point to another is as simple as using a tape measure or measuring stick.

Am I making sense?

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I always grind a small centerline mark in the axle housing before I get started. The most accurate CL measurement is taken from the axle housing ends, at the flange.

The most accurate way to reference your parts and pieces together is with a plumb bob and marks made on the floor. If your frame is not perfectly flat and level in both directions on the jack stands, you will not get accurate measurements. The reason I bring this up is because of your pic above. If you mark it to the floor (I use pieces of tape and a sharpie, or just sharpie on the concrete), are the results different or the same?

Also fore/aft axle centerline - this too should be marked on the floor and compared to your front LCA bolt centerline.

You get the floor marking concept right? It's a map that doesn't/can't move. For the various measurements, I take them on each side of the frame and use a long 6' level to draw a line the whole width across the floor for each point dropped to the floor. Then measuring from each point to another is as simple as using a tape measure or measuring stick.

Am I making sense?

I get what your saying..... 

Everthing else checked out, and I was using the flange face of the axle to measure the centerline ....

It's just that center bar is/ was a bit crooked.....  

I set the laser line equal between the frame , It obviously moved a little after I got the crossmember mounted.... 

Where I think I went wrong is I let the center bar just drop and welded it where it landed because it lined up to the laser line.... I failed to verify.... 

Plus I never made sure the bushing was level..... fail #2.....  

I have a plan to make sure I do it correctly next time..... Once I correct those 2 things I do believe everthing will be spot on....

• Like 2
12 hours ago, BrothersGarage said:

Ayyyy funny enough, I just got my box of parts as well. What did you go for as bump-stops? Did you get the thrust bearing kit? 

FYI: directions they came with are all fine and dandy, but this makes it way easier:

Bump stops were just some universal 3" tall ones ... I'll post a pic and part number this weekend if they seem like they will work out.... 

I did not bother with the thrust bearings, I think they are mostly neccessary if you plan to make constant adjustments... like say a track weekend vs daily driving ... I dont plan on making ride height adjustments once they are setup...

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 3

So the bump stops are going to work out pretty good..... with minor modifications.. 

First off the frame is curved and the bump stop is not....

20210107-173918.jpg

The plate goes through the entire bottom so I was able to make it curve without ruining it.. my method was to use 2 wrenches at the same time to bend it.....

20210107-174614.jpg

20210107-174627.jpg

The only other thing is the bolts, because the frame is curved the bolts do not thread straight up... so the rubber will need a little clearance if you want to use a socket..... 

20210107-175405.jpg 

Not clearanced yet just showing the area that would need to be clearanced....

The only other thing would be centering it in under the frame rail....

You can see it hang to the out side about an 1/8 of an inch or so....

20210107-173932.jpg

My plan is to side slot the mounting tabs and keep it centered.....

• Like 3

Also to note I believe daystar sells taller and a shorter versions of this bump stop but has the same base....

Almost forgot the threads in the frame are 3/8-24....

And I have to buy 2 bolts anyhow so I was thinking why not use Allen head bolts then I wont need to clearance the rubber....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 3
13 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Also to note I believe daystar sells taller and a shorter versions of this bump stop but has the same base....

Almost forgot the threads in the frame are 3/8-24....

And I have to buy 2 bolts anyhow so I was thinking why not use Allen head bolts then I wont need to clearance the rubber....

I prefer the button head allen bolts,  I buy the black ones and have them all over my 66 520.  I like to buy my bolts and hardware by the box instead of individual  unless it is a higher priced piece.  If I do buy by the individual piece I also get a few extra in case I damage or loose one or two.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 2

Went for the easy win and finished mocking up the bump stop... I just got regular bolts, no fine pitch allan heads.... not a big deal.... ground a little clearance in the rubber and I used a regular bolt and was able to use a socket to tighten.....

Also side slotted it so I could center it on the frame rail....

20210109-155124.jpg

20210109-155404.jpg

• Like 2