Crashtd420

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Yet the new Subaru motors have the filter on top from the factory...

Screenshot-20200329-115208-Chrome.jpg

My Tacoma has the same setup --- But it has a nice drip catch/funnel, so I usually just bungee a paper cup or old beer can around the bottom and it makes changing the filter and easy clean process....

• Like 1

Got that bolted back into place, seems nice and solid so the lights and the license plate shouldn't bounce around...

I would take a picture but there wasnt really enough room in the garage behind the truck to do that, and it doesn't look any different...

I might start cutting the front bump stops off next... starting to run out of cutting and grinding supplies... hopefully there's enough Argon for the welder... I think it's a fairly fresh tank....

• Like 1

The coilover exchange went through, took a little longer than I hoped but with everything going on in the world I'm just glad the correct ones are on the way...

Still not sure if I want to cut the shock mounts yet or wait till they show up....

I'm hoping If I get everything else cut off and ground down where I need to weld, all I'll have to do is line up the coilover and weld in the brackets... 

Got the call to go back to work too....

They are stagering shifts and asking us to work 3 - 12hr days trying to minimize employee interaction but still get some work done.... luckily there are only about 8 guy who work in the machine shop... so it shouldn't be too risky....

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

I doubt coilovers are in very high demand right now. 

I'd be lucky to get anything from Amazon inside of one week. 

Yeah it really is odd what they are prioritizing... shampoo a couple days, weed killer 4 days, Ethernet cables 1 month.  lol

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yeah it really is odd what they are prioritizing... shampoo a couple days, weed killer 4 days, Ethernet cables 1 month.  lol

Funny you mention weed killer. I just bought some because I have this shit growing in my yard called Creeping Charlie. It's wiping out all my grass.

• Like 1

Before ...

20200403-121503.jpg

Passenger side....

20200403-123940.jpg

Driver side...

20200403-125832.jpg

I anticipate grinding a little more back and cleaning up the cuts once I know where the coilovers will be, but I want to keep some of the bump stop metal, it seems to tie the bottom of the shock mount to the frame... 

I'm trying to resist the urge to cut the shock mounts off before the coilovers arrive... right now I could still put the shocks and torsion bars back in if I really needed to .... 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

Well I'm bored and have time on my hands this morning.... coilovers are on a truck in the area and going to be delivered today....

Gonna risk it and cut the shock mounts on in preparation for their arrival.....

Go big or go home!

• Like 1

20200404-091747.jpg

20200404-091739.jpg

You can see a yellow mark around that hole.... I opened that up some so I can weld around that circle also.... 

Apparently I didnt take pics of the bottom mount but its basically the same as the original shock mount just beefier.... cut and ground that area flat..... everything should be ready to weld back in.... I'll just have to do a little prep so I have clean metal for the welds... other than that just need the coilovers to arrive now....

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, Charlie69 said:

Those look to have a large diameter, will they clear the a upper arms.

I hope so since a coil spring has to go over that.... 

But no seriously the coilover is only 1/8 larger in diameter over a stock shock...

The spring is a 2 1/2 diameter...  it's a tight fit but it what was recommended...

I do have to trim the little ears off the upper arms, I did forget about that...

20200404-180849.jpg

• Like 2

So far so go.... got the passenger side done...  took a little more time to do than I expected but i didn't want to screw up...

20200405-123359.jpg

You can see the new Mikeklotz bushings in there too....

20200405-140907.jpg

20200405-145512.jpg

20200405-150906.jpg

I also had to remove the small pads for the bump stop off the upper control arm ...

20200405-153743.jpg

So far I'm happy with the way it all fit ... cant wait to get the other side done and get it back on the ground.... 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

No money shots (welds)?

Hell no.... 

I am not the best welder that I want to show that off ..... 

I did practice first to get my settings good and even tested myself with 2-  6 inch pieces with similar thickness... 

I also tried to break it after with a sledgehammer and the welds held....

Probably not the best way to make sure I do a good job, but I know they are solid welds on the truck and while some look perfect others not so much.... 

Anything I didnt like I ground down and rewelded..... 

• Like 1
Just now, Crashtd420 said:

Hell no.... 

I am not the best welder that I want to show that off ..... 

I did practice first to get my settings good and even tested myself with 2-  6 inch pieces with similar thickness... 

I also tried to break it after with a sledgehammer and the welds held....

Probably not the best way to make sure I do a good job, but I know they are solid welds on the truck and while some look perfect others not so much.... 

Anything I didnt like I ground down and rewelded..... 

Reminds me of a review of a harbor freight welder from some years back.  He used fat girls to rate the welds.......

• Like 1