A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Leafs are still used on trucks today because of their ability to spread weight across a wide area, making them progressive and durable. Whenever I have a customer that wants to link and coil the rear of his truck, I ask him what it will be used for. If they plan on carrying loads, I always steer them in the leaf spring direction.

Sure, coils can handle heavy loads, but you need to set them up that way from the outset. Which means a harsher ride when not loaded.

Air bags are a great way to accommodate load carrying capacity with leafs or coils, but I would use a remote air bag with a coil spring instead of an air bag as the spring. I use Air Lift air bags on my tow rig and they do work great. I have heard stories of them tearing, but it hasn't happened to me yet.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Air bags are a great way to accommodate load carrying capacity with leafs or coils, but I would use a remote air bag with a coil spring instead of an air bag as the spring.

This is basically why I decided against doing full air.. I plan to drive this truck as many months as possible this year... 

If I did need more load carrying it would be a secondary air bag...

• Like 2

Yup it's been in the truck and working good.... I actually just drove around yesterday and it was barely 40 out....

Heat works as good as a 521 heater does.... I was plenty warm driving around, but with out the door seals i can't keep the heat in the cab..  

Just need to not be lazy and install the seals I just bought....

And the fan is so much better, so quite now.... thanks....

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I find that with the heater on, I have to roll the windows down. It cooks  in there!

Dont get me wrong I'm happy with the amount of heat.... I myself shut the heat off as I'm driving.... but with the lack of door seals the temperature drops quicker... especially on the highway... around town not so much..... 

• Like 1

I love how it was 70 a couple days last week and then new England reminds us winter is not over yet.... 

20200323-163131.jpg

And now I'm off work for 2 weeks... we just got the shelter in place order.....

20200322-150850.jpg

I got the wrenches in but even though I ordered from Jegs, the coilover and springs are shipping directly from QA1. .. hopefully they get shipped.....

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I love how it was 70 a couple days last week and then new England reminds us winter is not over yet.... 

42 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

And now I'm off work for 2 weeks... we just got the shelter in place order.....

I got the wrenches in but even though I ordered from Jegs, the coilover and springs are shipping directly from QA1. .. hopefully they get shipped.....

Just got the word that we are officially closed too... Im am betting that I don't go back on the 7th... 

Grabbed a few more small parts from Oreilly to be delivered tomorrow... but hopefully the weather cooperates now! Snow is sticking to roads around me too... hoping it changes to rain and washes it all away...

Edited by demo243
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, mainer311 said:

MA didn’t get a shelter in place. We got a “stay at home” advisory, but they’re closing all non-essential businesses. Kind of hard to take them serious when they consider liquor stores “essential.”

I guess I dont know the difference, sounds like" shelter in place " is a little more serious than just " stay at home"... all I know is I was told my job is non essential and I dont plan on going anywhere anytime soon....

• Like 2
8 hours ago, d.p said:

Liquor stores open because they don’t want alcoholics going cold turkey.  

That and the state wants their tax money, damnit! My company is staying open because we have government contracts with deliverables. Most of the engineers are working from home though.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I guess I dont know the difference, sounds like" shelter in place " is a little more serious than just " stay at home"... all I know is I was told my job is non essential and I dont plan on going anywhere anytime soon....

That's exactly it. They aren't enforcing anything. By closing most businesses, they're just giving people less of a reason to venture out. 

I've heard from some of my fellow mountain bikers that the trails have been unbelievably crowded.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

That's exactly it. They aren't enforcing anything. By closing most businesses, they're just giving people less of a reason to venture out. 

I've heard from some of my fellow mountain bikers that the trails have been unbelievably crowded.

That sounds about right..... 

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I got a mid day ride in last week (wed?) and it was fine... but I have heard the same thing that the trails have been really busy... I live on a popular cut through for road riders as well and have still seen some big groups go by... 

I will probably avoid the trails myself... and maybe try and get in a few easy road rides in. gotta play it safe riding woods right now anyway... dont want to get hurt

• Like 1

Still not sure if the coilovers got shipped or not... Jegs sent out an email saying they are still shipping and filling orders but I am unsure about QA1.. my receipt said ships from manufacturer so I might be waiting.... I expected notification by now since it was supposed to ship Monday.....

So I figured I should try to get something done....

20200324-164014.jpg

This is the door shut...

20200324-164033.jpg

Fit was good, sealed all around really nice and didnt seem to be to tight latching....

I put the seam at the upper corner.. cut a little out of the weld seal and tried to cut the corner to fit best I could... I'm happy with the results...

20200324-164948.jpg

20200324-165036.jpg

20200324-165043.jpg

20200324-173728.jpg

• Like 1

And I think I'll be able to use the aluminum trim.. I just need some proper  screws but I trimmed up the carpet and was able to get it just about in place.... 

Needs a little persuasion but I can get the screw holes to align...

20200324-180607.jpg

This is just the trim and the seal....

20200324-162730.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Without searching your large thread, what kind of seats do you have in there?

seals look good.

They actually came out of a full size Chevy pickup, I probably should have paid closer attention to the year.... I think the truck was a 95 or 98... I dont know if they were an original seat or something else..... this was a junkyard find .... just tried looking up seat covers, and it more likely the seats are 88 to 94 Chevy low back seats. ..

Screenshot-20200324-211635-Gallery.jpg

I had to cut about 4 inches out of the seat bracket so they would fit good...

Screenshot-20200324-211612-Gallery.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

I cut my upper corners at a 45 degree angle inside and out, that way they hold each other in position and cannot fall down unless the middle falls down first.

010.jpg

My seal also is way more compressed than yours and it's likely a larger seal to start with(1 1/8"", I found it was kinda hard to close at first, but now the seal has held the shape of the closed door, the door sounds like a new vehicle door when I close it, a solid dead sound.

013.jpg

Also my seal has a foam insert inside it and it was round when installed, it is now oval from being smashed all these years.

015.jpg

• Like 1

You guys know you can bend that weatherstripping?! No need to cut it, just bend a hard 90 in the corners (or whatever the degree bend) and it should conform to the curve. The OEM stuff was bent into the corners and it's essentially the same stuff.

A hammer and a concrete chisel will help bend it enough to stay in that shape.

There is going to be a gap/cut somewhere as they are not making them anymore, so we have to cut them to fit, it might as well be in the top rear corner.

Fact is if a clean 45 degree cut is made one could super glue that gasket together up there and it would be solid all the way around.

Edited by wayno

Got the passenger side done this morning,  trimmed the carpet and test fit the aluminum trim.... 

I do want to glue the upper corner, I was going to use some superglue but cant not seem to find it..... I have some weather strip adhesive but I think the superglue will be cleaner....

Making a list for home depot but not sure when I'll be heading there.....

Then for some reason I started to make a pattern for some kick panels..... 

Might see what I can find for material and get some door cards made up....