A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

The square o rings came in....

Unfortunately I dont think they will work... they dont seem to be able compress as much as I hoped when I try to install it in the heater core.... gets way too tight, almost gets stuck.....

20200213-195351.jpg

Both are dash 111 orings....

The square fitted to the valve.  

20200213-195323.jpg

And a regular oring fitted....

20200213-195456.jpg

Safe to assume datsun just used a standard oring.... I have the chemical resistant round orings on the way too.. should be in this weekend....

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I figured out something, while the square orings didnt work in the valve, they work nice on the radiator drain.....

This was from an oem 521 radiator, it's a little loose around the threads but will definitely stay in place and do the job...

20200216-214642.jpg

It was tight on my aluminum radiator drain, i just have to be careful installing it so the square stays square but it fit good and will do the job....

As for the round orings....

20200216-164613.jpg

I think I have enough.....

They seemed to be about .010 thicker than what I had and are a bit stiffer....

20200216-214333.jpg

They do work, nice fit on the valve and in the heater core.... I was able to still turn the valve with no issue.....

• Like 1

Matt and Daniel I'll send you a PM in a minute.....

These 2 will be my test.... if I can send them some orings in a regular letter with just a stamp I'll do the same for anyone else who reads my thread and needs these orings.... 

Please PM me if you need them....

Datzenmike I hope this is ok as I am not trying to sell these... I am just trying to thank the ratsun members for the help and parts I have received and pay it forward a bit....

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, d.p said:

Yo not for nothing but have you heard from Riley lately?  He sent me a quote for some parts than disappeared off the face of the planet.  

That's the guy with the datsun parts that I emailed and got those valve cover cap seals?

Beyond that transaction no.... I had no other needs.... I believe hainz was also trying to order some parts from him....

No idea what happened?

Everthing went smooth for me dealing with him....

• Like 1

Next little piece to the puzzle.... 

Guitar knob for the heater valve....

20200220-182605.jpg

Should work nicely after some slight modifications..... 

20200220-182524.jpg

I wasn't expecting splines inside, and I'm not really sure what type of material is inside there.. it has a set screw but it doesn't go all the way though....

Another reason I question the material on the inside .... set screw seems like ment to slightly compress whatever it is just enough to hold on..... 

Hopefully the material is hard enough I can just drill out the splines and I'll have the right size for valve.... then I'll need to cross drill it for the retaining screw... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

I was able to drill out the splines, its was some sort of plastic... 

20200222-110747.jpg

20200222-105723.jpg

Used a 6mm drill and it fit nice .....

Next I drilled the cross hole...

20200222-110709.jpg

And then opened it up to recess the screw head and flat bottomed it....

20200222-112012.jpg

20200222-111958.jpg

Fully installed...

20200222-112339.jpg

I'm still thinking I'll to have to grind some off the bottom of the knob to clear the heater box cover... 

Hopefully later I'll get a little time in the garage...

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, thisismatt said:

Looks good, although I like being able to glance at the lever and tell if it's open or closed.

Ya I thought about ones that had a pointer but alignment to the screw to make it point the right way would have been a pain... I opted for something simple.... if I really cared I could always grind a groove across the top as a sort of pointer.... 

Oh and Daniel got his orings with no issue from the usps.... you should be getting yours today....

And to everyone else now that I know I can send the orings with a simple stamp if anyone needs them just PM me and i will be happy to send you a few.... 

I have the round for the heater core valve, and the squares do work good for the radiator drain.... 

Just let me know what you need, even if you need ones for more than 1 heater core I can send extra....

• Like 1

Just another thanks to Charlie for the heater parts....

I have been flushing and cleaning out the heater core he sent me.... seems to be clean and leak free..... now that the valve is all fixed up that should be ready to reassemble in the heater box... 

And I did have to grind back the knob for clearance .... 

The next thing to sort was the fan...  if you remember I broke the electrical connectors off the back of the motor....

My only hope was to remove the bird cage without damaging it.... so I came up with this....

20200222-124653.jpg

This fit between the motor and the birdcage.. .

20200222-124714.jpg

First tap and the back of the motor fell off.... good thing i dont need it..

20200222-124733.jpg

Removal without destruction.. 

20200222-124740.jpg

Reattached to my fan motor...

20200222-153447.jpg

Back in the box....

20200222-160718.jpg

Does it work?  LOL  Nice work.  Wher you live I do not think a 521 heater will keep you warm in the summer but it will nck some of the cold out.  Run a higher temp thermostat in the winter and you might have to cover part of the radiator to get the engine to warm up.  The L motors run pretty cool.

Fix the motor connectors and put the motor back together for a spare.  It worked good here.  Nice little truck you have built Congrats!!!

Edited by Charlie69
1 hour ago, Charlie69 said:

Does it work?  LOL  Nice work.  Wher you live I do not think a 521 heater will keep you warm in the summer but it will nck some of the cold out.  Run a higher temp thermostat in the winter and you might have to cover part of the radiator to get the engine to warm up.  The L motors run pretty cool.

Fix the motor connectors and put the motor back together for a spare.  It worked good here.  Nice little truck you have built Congrats!!!

I think it does pretty good, once it gets below 40 then its starts to get questionable.... I wont drive it at that point any how.... those months are just snow salt and black ice.... 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Looks like the o-rings came, thank you! BTW, I was born in Hyannis, but my family moved to CA when I was 3. My dad and his siblings sold the family Cape Cod property (with beach access easement rights) in/around  '98  😐

The cape is a shit show any time after June. I’ve been in this crap hole for 12 years and have only gone to the cape once.

• Like 1

Got out to the garage today....

Got the heater core reinstalled today, with fresh coolant.... fingers crossed that's the last time....

I finished mocking up the pcv system... I'm happy with the intake modification and I will be running a rubber line down between the intake and the carburetor.... the connecting to the block vent is not overly pretty but once the carburetor is installed it should be fairly hidden....

Just need to bolt everything backup and see how it runs....

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, BrothersGarage said:

Great looking heater coming together. 

FYI - I sent off my OEM heater switch off to be recreated by 3d printing with one of the guys on the 521 truck groups on facebook. No scans yet but if you're interested that may also be an option. 

Thanks I'm good....

My 521 has so many non original parts ... I enjoy making mine kind of odd and unique.....

• Like 1