A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

14 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

This is just the trim and the seal....

20200324-162730.jpg

That "universal" [as in fits none well] weather strip will in a short time crack and peel on top and bottom of the hollow tube.  a foam filled like your later pix would be much better but is not readily available.  If you could find a solid foam extrusion it might be possible to thread it inside this piece of weather strip.

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, MikeRL411 said:

That "universal" [as in fits none well] weather strip will in a short time crack and peel on top and bottom of the hollow tube.  a foam filled like your later pix would be much better but is not readily available.  If you could find a solid foam extrusion it might be possible to thread it inside this piece of weather strip.

I'll keep that in mind but for now this has been the best fit... as far as longevity I could see what your talking about.... I'll just have to see... maybe I'll get lucky and the mcmaster's stuff is better....

• Like 1

Well that plan lasted all of 5 minutes before all my joy was taken from me.... 

Apparently the bushing and bearing ends are not the same width....

I just confirmed with beebani that the brackets are made for the bearing ends....

I guess I should have asked him instead... the coilover he listened in the description said bearing but the pictures just showed the bushing.... guess i should have read closer.....

I'll have to get those exchanged for the right one now..... 

• Like 1

Looks like jegs is pretty easy to exchange with.... I have everything ready to go back... just need to print up the return label and drop it off tomorrow..

I have doubts that I'll get the correct ones with enough time to do this upgrade before I go back to work...

Technically it shouldnt take too long but I like to have extra time incase I run into problems...

I guess it's good I didnt start cutting before I checked the fit of the coilover to the bracket.....

• Like 1
Just now, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's always something...

Trying to make the best of it... i really wanted the coilovers in hand before I starting disassembling...

I'm debating on taking everything apart and doing all the modifications up to the point where I cut the stock mounting points off.....

I would just hate to cut everything off and then get the coilovers stuck in the mail.... 

• Like 2

I have a firm policy here in the shop - I will not start on a project until all the hard parts are in hand. You just never know what will come up. Assumptions can cause serious trouble.

I lost a client a while back due to this policy. He wanted me to start on his engine swap before I had the front axle in hand. He couldn't understand why I needed the axle to mount the engine. He got so pissed that he sent me a death threat (via email, duh). I called the sheriff on him.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I have a firm policy here in the shop - I will not start on a project until all the hard parts are in hand. You just never know what will come up. Assumptions can cause serious trouble.

I lost a client a while back due to this policy. He wanted me to start on his engine swap before I had the front axle in hand. He couldn't understand why I needed the axle to mount the engine. He got so pissed that he sent me a death threat (via email, duh). I called the sheriff on him.

It makes the most sense..... 

I could definitely see it in your case.... 

That was probably a client you would never want anyhow, it was better he showed his true colors up front....

• Like 2

I got bored....

20200328-175922.jpg

Got the truck up on jack stands...

Front wheels off....

20200328-165727.jpg

Torsion bars removed...

20200328-172803.jpg

Upper bushings removed...

20200328-173828.jpg

Glad I got the mikeklotz bushings going back in...

20200328-173735.jpg

Finally the shocks....

20200328-175152.jpg

I believe I need to cut the upper bump stops off and that's about as far as I will go till i get the coilovers in...  I can prep for where I need to cut and weld but I'm not gonna cut it yet.... trying not to get to far ahead of myself...

• Like 2

Next I'll probably look at making a bracket for the oil filter relocation kit I have.... I'm thinking in the area where the torsion bar use to be on the passenger side...

And also a bracket for the light in the rear.... they are currently riveted to the bed.... remember these are not original at all....  at some point I want to remove the bed and get it sandblasted, cleaned and repainted ... I want to be able to still drive the truck with the bed removed...

That's a ways off but I have the time and materials so why not make the bracket now....

• Like 2