A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got really lucky today.... been putting in ot lately to get some jobs done at work... well I have to wait for my next part so instead of waiting around I got the option to leave early..... 

I ran for the door and headed to my garage..... I had about 2 hours to myself, so i busted my ass and got the intake, exhaust and carb back on.... 

This is what I ended up with for a pcv system......

20200225-135556.jpg

After the carburetor is installed it does kind of disappear so that was good...

20200225-150023.jpg

Since it was in the mid 50s this afternoon I was able to go for a nice ride.... got some gas and stopped at the grocery store on my way to pick my son up at school.... both stops I saw someone taking a picture of the truck....

Happy to report no coolant leak and I now have a nice working heater and a quieter fan, everything working as it should.. as for the pcv its seems to be working as it should,  I was surprised it didnt mess with the tune to bad... small adjustments at idle and driving around seemed normal.....

Of course after the last few days being around 50, tomorrow its supposed to rain and then go back down into the 30s..

Atleast the truck is drivable again... i am planning to install the door seals next, I am not looking forward to this ... It should be straight forward but I know it wont be...

Damn I already forgot again.... I need to swap those control arm bolts for the grade 8 that I bought.... that will be next.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Did you use that graphite manifold gasket? Mine leaked initially on the first start-up, but after it cooled down, I retightened all of the nuts and it seems to be holding now.

Yes.. i think it was over kill, but it is a really nice gasket. I do believe it would live up to its claims... I dont have the coolant ports on my head or in the intake so I dont have to worry about a coolant leak...  the standard gasket would have been fine.... that's what I used before and from what i could tell it sealed up the exhaust to my header no problem.... I only bought this one because i kept seeing a note with the regular ones "dont use with headers"... 

• Like 1

I am hopeful going to change out the control arm bolts tomorrow.  .. 

Monday and the end of the week look nice enough to take it to work.....

No wrenching today though....

It's my sons 8th birthday and will be his second leap birthday.... big party planned for him today.....

"Happy birthday ".....

• Like 2

I was able to get the control arm bolts replaced today and also greased up everything on the front end.....

Then for some reason I decided to start playing with the door seals.....

20200301-121716.jpg

20200301-121731.jpg

They call this a welt seal, basically holds the other one in place....

20200301-121725.jpg

Installation was a pain in the ass... looks good but now the door is extremely tight to shut... I'll need to adjust the door and probably the fender.... for now I just moved the latch out a bit so I can atleast shut the door....

• Like 1

It's the wrong seal, you should not have to change everything to make the seal fit, mid 90s Mazda SUV seals work fine, so do the mid 80s Mazda truck(exact same seal as the 521), try another seal that has the welt part in the seal like the Mazda seals have.

Edited by wayno
  • Like 1
46 minutes ago, wayno said:

It's the wrong seal, you should not have to change everything to make the seal fit, mid 90s Mazda SUV seals work fine, so do the mid 80s Mazda truck(exact same seal as the 521), try another seal that has the welt part in the seal like the Mazda seals have.

I have to adjust it because I never have.... I have had the doors and fenders off and removed and rebuilt the hinges... I have never aligned all this with seals... 

I would agree if I was just replacing the seals it should all be fine but that's not the case.... 

• Like 1

I wanted to be driving the datsun today but decided I should finish the door alignment and seal before I get lazy about it.... 

I had some time time after work yesterday so I loosened up the door and got started.... didnt get to far , family came home... but after work this week I have about 45 minutes to myself to get it done, before I have to pick up my son...

• Like 1

I guess you were somewhat right wayno.... while I did purchase seals for a 521 they dont seem to be 100% correct....

To me they seem too thick, they just have no compression to them or not enough..... I even cut a 1" piece off the end and started fitting just that to the driver side back edge and I couldn't shut the door..... 

Tomorrow i am going to line the passenger side door back up without the seal, then for now I'm going to just cut the outer edge off so I can sort of use what I have till i can buy something better...... it probably wont seal too well but should atleast keep the door from rattling... something's better than nothing....

• Like 1

The Mazda SUV seals are larger than the stock seals(not all are the same, you need the right type), but they worked for me.

I cut the upper corners at a 45 degree angle as the SUV gaskets are too big(larger door).

010.jpg

This is the profile you want if you can find it.

012.jpg

These are on the verge of being to large a gasket, but the door shuts and there are no air leaks, the stock gasket is a glue in gasket with a thin piece of rubber going over the seam with that aluminum cover that covers it.

• Like 3

I order some stuff from mcmaster's this morning,

Screenshot-20200305-090514-Chrome.jpg

if I didnt waste my money I'll share the actual part numbers... 

I also bought some stick on style for the bottom edge.... 

Screenshot-20200305-090826-e-Bay.jpg

Fingers crossed this will work.....

Till this stuff shows up I'm just going to put a cut up seal on the back edge.... again just to temporarily stop the door rattling....

• Like 1

I was able to come home today and tighten the door and fender back up....

It actually lined up better than before....

I think I bought the right thickness seals today... I used my old seal as a gauge,  only down the back edge... I cut the front half off and I was able to get the door shut.... it's still a little snug but there is no compression to what's left.... 

20200305-172429.jpg

Picture doesn't really show it to good...

What I purchased should be the same width as what's cut up and it will have some compression because it's a hollow tube.... so it should work out good....

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

This is what a stock gasket looks like.

003.jpg

It's basically an inch wide.

005.jpg

It is glued on the back side seam and the bottom center all the way around and then the aluminum piece is put over the "U" shaped part on the bottom to keep ones shoes from destroying it in that area, I don't use the aluminum pieces on any of my trucks because the gaskets I use are to big/thick, I put shaped plastic pieces on the back side(interior side), the gasket/seal/weatherstripping holds the plastic in place.

006.jpg

007.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for all the pictures and insight...

The gasket I originally bought looks similar and is also about an 1" wide.... but there is no way it will work.....

I wonder if it's the material it's made out of? 

Maybe the original had alot more compression to it because it was a softer material.....

• Like 1