A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Then aluminum pieces didn't fit mine either, they were not made to cover something so thick, the original seal was only a 1/16" thick on each side, 1/8" total, about 3/16" total with the seam, these newer seals are very thick with the pinch part that holds them in position.

I think if you modify the aluminum piece it will not cover the area you want it to cover as there will not be enough material to go all the way over, I think it likely will get bent from dragging your foot across the sill and catching the edge when getting in, maybe you could raise the piece higher but you would have to do it the full length and then drill new holes higher to mount it, plus you need to think about how much the pinch area will push the aluminum piece out away from the side being it is so thick, it's just a can of worms unless you use a seal like the original.

All I care about is that I don't have a leak/wind noise, it's all about function for me, My 520 and all my 521's are not original anyway.

• Like 1

I just thought of something, what if you were to cut the inside of the pinch part off where the aluminum piece is only and use weather strip adhesive to hold the gasket in place along with the aluminum piece, the rest of the way around you will need to use the pinch part to hold it in position, just an idea I came up with just now, don't know if it will work, but I am assuming you will have enough extra seal to a 4" test spot.

• Like 1

I'llI do have some extra to play around with, I'll  give that a try this weekend and see what I can figure out... the one I bought the welt seal does fit inside and is not too thick, but is a bit square versus the radius in the aluminum...

I'm also debating on where to put the cut ends of the seal.... I originally intended on putting it in the middle on the bottom edge, but then I thought about the upper corner that is kind of square.... I might try that and see what I can come up with....

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'llI do have some extra to play around with, I'll  give that a try this weekend and see what I can figure out... the one I bought the welt seal does fit inside and is not too thick, but is a bit square versus the radius in the aluminum...

I'm also debating on where to put the cut ends of the seal.... I originally intended on putting it in the middle on the bottom edge, but then I thought about the upper corner that is kind of square.... I might try that and see what I can come up with....

I cut mine at a 45 degree angle in the top rear corner, I tried to make it look good, some might do it and then super glue the ends together like they do windshield gaskets.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, wayno said:

I cut mine at a 45 degree angle in the top rear corner, I tried to make it look good, some might do it and then super glue the ends together like they do windshield gaskets.

That's kind of what I'm thinking... I have a little extra I'm going to experiment with... 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Me too..... 

I have some research ahead of me...

I know what qa1 coilovers I'm going to use just trying to understand the springs.... I believe it was recommended 7" at 400- 450 spring rate.... 

Tanker has QA1 IIRC, maybe ask him what he is using? 

• Like 1

Yes I believe so..... I was actually going to hit him up about what he's running... haven't gotten around to it....

With everything going on right now I figured I should hang on to my spare cash.... but then again I may get some extra time at home if things get worse... So having them on hand might be good to.... 

• Like 1

Well I mine as well start this line of questions....

These are the coilovers I'm looking at... they have a non adjustable style and these are only a few dollars more....

Screenshot-20200319-183445-Chrome.jpg

Not really much of a question there....

But there are 2 different mounts...

Bearing

Screenshot-20200319-182045-Chrome.jpg

Or bushing

Screenshot-20200319-181925-Chrome.jpg

Same price but what's the difference,  what would be better.... 

• Like 1

Would this be good to purchase ?

Is it only really needed if constantly raising and lower, which I won't be doing.... set it and forget it. . But I need the wrenches.... these are 40 and just the wrenches are 25 so I might just get them regardless...

Screenshot-20200314-163536-Chrome.jpg

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 1

On street driven vehicles, I prefer poly bushings on the ends. The spherical balls get clunky and wear after exposed to the elements for a while. Yes, they are stainless or better, but they get grit in them and wear ever so slightly. On the other hand, poly bushing on a coilover support the weight of the vehicle. They need to be firm or they will wear out completely causing major clunks. I am sure these shock manufacturers have figured that out and have addressed the quality of the polyurethane they use, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Spanner is a must for adjusting coilovers.

Thrust bearings may prematurely wear in harsh climates.

Springs with fewer coils will allow more travel. Measure the travel you need and then measure the wire diameter. Divide the travel distance by the wire diameter and figure out how many coils you can have in the spring and maintain your desired travel.

• Like 2

I have been reading the debate between the bushing or the bearing.... seem like bushings are what I want for a daily driver... 

I'm thinking the high travel spring is what I want based on some other builds and stuff I read... plus the other spring isnt offered in 7 inches.... 7 was the recommended spring height from qa1....

And I'll probably skip the thrust washers and just get the wrenches.....

• Like 2
Just now, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I like soft springs and stiff roll bars. Remember, springs are cheap and you can change them.

Click on the "complete motorsport catalog" on the Eibach link.

I know very little about all this.... 

I'm looking at all their stuff now....

• Like 2