A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

Bumpstops are important too. You can get them built into the shock (bushing around the shaft), but those are hard to change. With the springs out of the shocks, set your bumpstop height at the control arm. Use some aftermarket Daystar bumpstops (or other) for a good, long lasting bumper.

• Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Bumpstops are important too. You can get them built into the shock (bushing around the shaft), but those are hard to change. With the springs out of the shocks, set your bumpstop height at the control arm. Use some aftermarket Daystar bumpstops (or other) for a good, long lasting bumper.

I do have the lower bump stops in my frame so I know I won't bottom out the coilover.....

What about when you jack the vehicle up? If your hanging from the coilover is that ok?

Or should I have some sort of limiting strap?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, demo243 said:

Haven't read through this yet, but just stumbled upon it on my "work from home" boredom. 

https://stanceworks.com/2020/03/whats-in-a-spring-spring-tech-101-with-hr-springs/

Might be some good info there. 

Looks like some good info there... problem is the more I read the more confused I get.... I should just stick to blindly spending money and hope for the best.... not really.... this is a bit more money to spend....

Side not eibach is closed due to the virus... no orders will be shipped till lockdown gets lifted in California....

Virus might be putting this on hold for me.... just gives me more time to find and order the right stuff instead of rushing my purchases.....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Looks like some good info there... problem is the more I read the more confused I get.... I should just stick to blindly spending money and hope for the best.... not really.... this is a bit more money to spend....

Side not eibach is closed due to the virus... no orders will be shipped till lockdown gets lifted in California....

Virus might be putting this on hold for me.... just gives me more time to find and order the right stuff instead of rushing my purchases.....

I know the feeling... sometimes its easier to just pull the trigger...

Most everything that eibach offers is typically available through summit or Jeggs which both have multiple warehouses for pretty quick shipping... there might still be hope!

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I do have the lower bump stops in my frame so I know I won't bottom out the coilover.....

What about when you jack the vehicle up? If your hanging from the coilover is that ok?

Or should I have some sort of limiting strap?

Limiting straps are only needed when you have a quick extension of the shock, like going off a jump or when you need to physically limit suspension travel. You won't need them.

• Like 2

I'm just wondering about the shipping company's...

Or If it's even worth trying right now....

Case on the Corona virus are getting closer to home.... 

I'm still thinking about just using all the qa1 stuff... pretty sure I know what I want and as you said I can get them from jegs so maybe....

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, demo243 said:

I know the feeling... sometimes its easier to just pull the trigger...

Most everything that eibach offers is typically available through summit or Jeggs which both have multiple warehouses for pretty quick shipping... there might still be hope!

Right. Everyone carries Eibach. I usually buy from Kartek or Poly Performance for offroad stuff. My friend Jay Morris also sells Eibach at his shop https://groundcontrolstore.com/

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Limiting straps are only needed when you have a quick extension of the shock, like going off a jump or when you need to physically limit suspension travel. You won't need them.

So what your saying I shouldnt be jumping my datsun... ok...

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

I'm just wondering about the shipping company's...

Or If it's even worth trying right now....

Case on the Corona virus are getting closer to home.... 

I'm still thinking about just using all the qa1 stuff... pretty sure I know what I want and as you said I can get them from jegs so maybe....

I'm worrying about that too. I had a freight delivery yesterday, and I continue to get UPS, Fedex, etc, but I am placing all orders for parts I need now, so I have stuff to work on when there are no more drivers.

EDIT - that is a shitty thing to say. I know there will be more and more deaths as time marches on. Just trying to figure out how to remain productive in the meantime.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

So what your saying I SHOULD be jumping my datsun... ok...

YES! 

I can think of a couple railroad crossings that would be perfect... Maybe I should have left my 620 at stock height ...

Edited by demo243
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Crashtd420 said:

So do you not like the qa1 stuff or are you just saying there are other options?

I think the QA1 stuff is fine. Eibach just give you even more spring offerings

Bunch of guys running them as rear coilovers for the 510. On my list of maybes for my 510 at somepoint. 

• Like 3
Just now, demo243 said:

YES! 

I can think of a couple railroad crossings that would be perfect... Maybe I should have left my 620 at stock height ...

I have one spot after I pickup my son, it has a steep drop down the road.... fast enough you could definitely get air and in trouble.... I tried to scare him once and there was a cop at the bottom of the hill.... I dont go fast I just dont slow down so you get that rollercoaster drop feeling ....

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, demo243 said:

I think the QA1 stuff is fine. Eibach just give you even more spring offerings

Bunch of guys running them as rear coilovers for the 510. On my list of maybes for my 510 at somepoint. 

That's why I mentioned it. Eibach has hundreds of spring options.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, demo243 said:

YES! 

Just though about a story.... there was old railroad bridge that was under construction for a while.... you could definitely get air ... the road went up and then leveled out on the bridge so you had no idea if the bridge was there or not till you Crest the road.... well they didnt take the signs down after it was fixed.... my dad in an old boat of a car floored it and told his brother fuck it we are going to dukes of hazzard this shit....

My dad knew the bridge was there... his brother did not... que needed to change underwear.....

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I'm worrying about that too. I had a freight delivery yesterday, and I continue to get UPS, Fedex, etc, but I am placing all orders for parts I need now, so I have stuff to work on when there are no more drivers.

EDIT - that is a shitty thing to say. I know there will be more and more deaths as time marches on. Just trying to figure out how to remain productive in the meantime.

Its not shitty.  I ordered everything I could think of for every vehicle I have behind the shop to take care of.  I have to nickle and dime everything to of course make the most money, so a fair amount of stuff is made in china and comes out of california.  When they eventually shut my bar down, I will be at the shop getting cars ready for the lot full time.  Not a great time to be selling used cars, but I might actually have all of them done for a change. lol

• Like 2

Well I said screw it and just placed and order through jegs.....

I went with bushings in the coilover mounts and 7" 400lb springs... 

Screenshot-20200320-161322-AOL.jpg

Wrenches ended up being free due to $20 promo code.... 

I guess we will see if they get delivered...

I'm sure I'll have to sanitize the box before the wife let's me bring it in the house..... 

Thanks to demo and stroffgren for your input..... 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, mainer311 said:

I wonder how bad this affects the load carrying capacity of the truck.

Not sure, but I'm not too worried about that right now.... this only for the front....

I'll never really be loading it up like wayno....

A dump run or home depot is about it....

I am after ride quality vs hauling ability..

• Like 1
6 hours ago, mainer311 said:

I wonder how bad this affects the load carrying capacity of the truck.

Doubt it affects it at all. Torsion bars are good at carrying loads (though the theory escapes me) but the newer shock valving technology should make up for any (if any) loss in load capacity.

Note - I had my 320 loaded down with 2000 lbs of concrete once, and the front end floated all over the place. With better shocks, it would have been better. It wasn't necessarily a spring rate thing.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, bilzbobaggins said:

Its not shitty.  I ordered everything I could think of for every vehicle I have behind the shop to take care of.  I have to nickle and dime everything to of course make the most money, so a fair amount of stuff is made in china and comes out of california.  When they eventually shut my bar down, I will be at the shop getting cars ready for the lot full time.  Not a great time to be selling used cars, but I might actually have all of them done for a change. lol

Used cars may be the ticket in the short future. I did that for a while, on the side, but I sold trucks. Only trucks. The theory there was that everybody needs a truck, good economy or bad.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Doubt it affects it at all. Torsion bars are good at carrying loads (though the theory escapes me) but the newer shock valving technology should make up for any (if any) loss in load capacity.

Note - I had my 320 loaded down with 2000 lbs of concrete once, and the front end floated all over the place. With better shocks, it would have been better. It wasn't necessarily a spring rate thing.

I meant more for the rear. A link kit with coilovers vs. leafs.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

I meant more for the rear. A link kit with coilovers vs. leafs.

Seems like the coil spring rate would be the difference.... 

I did find this .... 

Screenshot-20200321-082337-Amazon-Shoppi

If load capacity was an issue I could replace the spring in the coilover with one of those.... or just add a helper bags with the coilover...

I did want to go with a full air suspension but decided to just do coilovers... less to go wrong...

• Like 1