A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

40 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

It called Google man....

Just look at summit racing... 

Easily found

Yeah, that's where I'm getting them from. Their "filter" tool works really well for narrowing down options. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gor-91177bc

There's also these. Only 3 reviews, but they're all positive.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cal-754102b

Edited by mainer311
  • Like 2
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

It called Google man....

Just look at summit racing... 

Easily found

Why?  Mainer already found ones that would work for our truck, why would I scour the web for the same ones when he already has a link to them?  And aren't you the one who said to post a part number or link so it would benefit others?   I think you actually corrected one of my posts to point out a difference to make it easier for anyone else searching for it.  But here are you doing the complete opposite.  

What gives?  You ok? 

• Like 1

Never said that about posting part numbers and I'm not sure what post you think I corrected but we can just leave that be....

If you wanna blindly order those lug nut be my guest... but the ones mainer311 needs do not work with my rims, so to say they work on our truck is wrong...

Yes they have the proper 7/16-20 thread but you need the proper seat for the rims your using...

And there are something like 9 different types of lug nuts ... atleast 3 commonly used ones....

• Like 1

Well I'm currently sitting in a nissan dealer waiting on a sticker for my datsun.... probably been a real long time since the truck has back to a nissan/datsun dealership....

Of course testing to make sure everything worked I found one of my a/c lines to be leaking ....

I'll have to get that discharged this week and have a new line made.... I have a local hose shop, as long as they use their parts the can make a new line for me.... 

Edited by Crashtd420
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Man, I am glad we don't have those pesky inspections out here.

Of course we do have to pass emissions testing, but that why I am in business, so I shouldn't complain.

It's not to bad, on the datsun it's just safety... honestly if you keep your vehicles up, which I'm sure you do, either test shouldn't really be an issue.... 

Its motivation to me and sometimes it points out things I over looked, like the wifes horn.... also i probably would not have bought tires for the datsun if I didnt need to pass inspection right now, but I am very glad I did.... even getting rid of my chevy, who knows how long I would have tried to keep that going.... 

• Like 1

I think I got lucky with the a/c line.... 

I took the grill off and was able use a couple tools i had to crimp the connector just a little more .... I only recrimped where the original crimp mark's were... at first I was getting a couple hisses as I was doing this and  then I wasn't .... after that I started the truck, turned the a/c on and made sure the compressor was running.... no leak..

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've been daily driving my datsun for the last few weeks which has been great.... i have one last issue on the Subaru to fix, biggest problem is waiting for the parts and appointments.... After I fixed the horn and replace the battery i went and had 2 recalls performed at the dealer and it didnt fix my problem... I'm told the steering wheel angle sensor died..... enough about that ....

One problem did happen today with the datsun. . Tried the a/c today and all I got was warm air circulating.... 

The other day I messed with that one hose but after i fixed i verified I had the proper pressure, air was cold and compressor was cycling.... well today it wasn't....

I checked and found no power going to the compressor because of the pressure switch, so I checked the pressure and sure enough it was zero.... started checking the fittings and found the one on the compressor came loose to the point I was re tightening it by hand at first.... i tightened that one up and checked the rest... hopefully that's all that needs, made an appointment for Tuesday to have it recharged....

• Like 1

Well didnt see this coming.... stupid Subaru failed emissions but I dont think it was for actual bad readings.... I replaced the battery and left it disconnected to do the repair and apparently have only traveled 4 miles since.... the tech mentioned that and said the car needs to be driven for a while, something about the computer has no history stored, and I should be able to pass the retest.... have I mentioned I hate these newer cars... 

• Like 2

It's called "setting the monitors". 50 miles should do it.

Do you have a handheld scan tool? You can check the monitor status on most handheld scanners.

It sucks that he failed it instead of telling you to take it for a drive and come back.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Like 2

Modern cars self diagnose all their different systems to control emissions.   Many of the systems can only be checked by the cars computer under very specific driving conditions, and the car rechecks the systems a few times to verify results. 

Disconnecting the battery wipes the cars computer memory clean, and the computer has to relearn how every system is working, and in this process sometimes readjusts how the cars engine is controlled.

When the cars computer sees a full driving cycle, then it can say everything is OK.

Ironically, the registration for my 1996 Ford Aerostar arrived in the mail just as I was doing this post.  It too has to have the emissions checked.

Edited by DanielC
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

It's called "setting the monitors". 50 miles should do it.

Do you have a handheld scan tool? You can check the monitor status on most handheld scanners.

It sucks that he failed it instead of telling you to take it for a drive and come back.

No scan tool... never really needed one.... we were driving a 1999 Chevy and 2001 Subaru before..... now with the newer Subaru and nissan it might be worth the investment....

Last time with the no horn I got to leave,  there were no dash lights on so I assume this time they got to far into the inspection to let me just go..

I'm ok with the rejection sticker for now, at least it's better than the March sticker it had and we now we can drive it around....

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, DanielC said:

Modern cars self diagnose all their different systems to control emissions.   Many of the systems can only be checked by the cars computer under very specific driving conditions, and the car rechecks the systems a few times to verify results. 

Disconnecting the battery wipes the cars computer memory clean, and the computer has to relearn how every system is working, and in this process sometimes readjusts how the cars engine is controlled.

When the cars computer sees a full driving cycle, then it can say everything is OK.

That sounds about right... as long as this is all it is I'll be happy....

On a different note I decided to check the gas usage on the datsun....

Best estimate says I'm getting around 19mpg with a single weber 40dcoe ...

I though I was getting a little more before but with the new job my commute is only about 10 minutes or so and the highway has about 3 long inclines going there so I'm on the throttle a little more going to work that coming home.... 

• Like 1

I was able to lower the rear of the truck a little more over the weekend.... approximately 3 inches now in the back with about a 2" gap .....  I'll go another inch when I upgrade the rear suspension.... for now I just wanted it a little lower with no complications...

Completely forgot to take before photos,  but I should have one, and the after photo came out bad.... I'll try to get one later....

• Like 2

A Bosch scan tool costs about $50 and are very handy. You can also use them to clear any codes that may pop up.

There are also apps that you can install on your phone to diagnose and clear codes. Some of them also have a dashboard that shows engine vitals while running. I used one a few years ago, but it made me sign up for a service, which I thought was ok, but then it freaked out whenever I tried to connect to another vehicle. So apps =  bad, scanner = good.

• Like 1