A 521 in Massachusetts

Crashtd420

They don’t have historic plates up there?? 

MD does for anything 20 years or older. It’s supposed to be for classic cars that are only driven for specific purposes (car shows repairs etc..) but people abuse the shit out of it on 20 year old piles.  Basically if it’s registered as historic you don’t have to have inspections or emissions.   My buddy has a built 2001 e46 M3 that won’t pass emissions but next year he can register it as historic and not worry about any of that.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, d.p said:

They don’t have historic plates up there?? 

MD does for anything 20 years or older. It’s supposed to be for classic cars that are only driven for specific purposes (car shows repairs etc..) but people abuse the shit out of it on 20 year old piles.  Basically if it’s registered as historic you don’t have to have inspections or emissions.   My buddy has a built 2001 e46 M3 that won’t pass emissions but next year he can register it as historic and not worry about any of that.  

They do but I drive it to much for plates like that.. i would be that one person to get in trouble for it and I dont have to pass emissions, just a safety.... I have never had an issue where I usually get it tested. 

I think up here they are antique plate but I'm not even sure if that means anything other than having a driving restriction... I think it's only for cheaper insurance rate.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, d.p said:

I would look into it if you are worried about having to pass anything. 

In Mass, I think even with antique plates you still need to pass the safety inspection... which since they put cameras in all the inspection stations a couple years ago has made it much harder for an inspector to turn a blind eye to an older car.

I understand their reasoning for inspections... but it really makes it harder on the "classic" car crew. The problem is even if you do a 25 year exemption, now you are exempting Honda Civics from the 90s.... and most of those are why we need to have inspections. 

My 620 would probably pass, although technically it is too low now, and the floorboard "patch" from one of the POs probably wouldn't either... The 510 I doubt given how much is removed from it and there are two small rust holes at the trunk corners. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, d.p said:

I would look into it if you are worried about having to pass anything. 

I am not really worried if it will pass or not... it's got a proper sticker for 2 years now... I just like going to the place I always get my stickers from. I know they have seen the datsun and dont have a problem with it.... I'm not sure if the dealer with be wierd about my switches, start button, and keyed kill switch as an ignition.... everything else is functioning well and in good working order so i should be ok...  

• Like 1

One of the biggest reasons why I love my datsun is the simplicity.... 

Something as simple as a non functional horn on my wifes Subaru turned out to be a clock spring... that was an easy enough thing to purchase and i replace that today, but apparently I left the interior light on and killed the battery.... I tried to charge it but the charger indicated a problem,  took out my volt meter and the battery was around 8.5 volts.... So i got the wife a new battery.. now the car starts, horn honks but I have 3 check system lights on.... 

Reading on the internet and the brake switch is to blame.... when I called to see if I could get the part they told me that the part was part of a recall and confirmed It would cause those lights to come on if it was bad... I was going to replace it myself, the part is cheap enough, but apparently it has a wierd adjustment so I decided to just make an appointment and let them do it...... I have to wait a week but atleast it will be free..

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Looks like you're the proud new owner of a Subaru! (I'm sorry.)

Haha.

They aren't all bad.  I had a brand new 2001 WRX when they came out that was modded to the gills.  Would I want to be seen driving one today?  No but back then it was the bees knees.  

• Like 1

Hers is a 2014 forester, I call it the lesbian dog walker car... it's not bad, black with black leather and that big ass sunroof.... the nice thing about the newer engines is they got rid of the timing belt and use a chain now and they reconfigured the cooling around the head to stop the head gasket issue the older motors are known for.... 

The only issues I have ever had was the horn and a wheel bearing over 2 years of owning it.... recently did tires and a battery but all in all it's been a good vehicle....

26 minutes ago, Crashtd420 said:

Hers is a 2014 forester, I call it the lesbian dog walker car...

I wasn't going to say it, but they're called lesbarus for a reason.

Keep an eye on the oil level (which I'm sure you do). They like to mysteriously consume it.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, d.p said:

Haha.

They aren't all bad.  I had a brand new 2001 WRX when they came out that was modded to the gills.  Would I want to be seen driving one today?  No but back then it was the bees knees.  

I guess? Unfortunately it's the car of choice for the trust-fund vape-smoking type.

iz8iyzb6cyz11.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

1 hour ago, Crashtd420 said:

I call it the lesbian dog walker car...

I live in rafting and mountain biking country (lots of horse trails too). Summer time is horrible around here with all the river rats in their Subarus. They bring nothing to our community. They clog up the roads by going 10mph under the speed limit. They park in the most dangerous spots along the tight mountain roads. Sure, they may help support the local restaurant economy, but they're not friendly and I'd just as soon have them go away.

And they wear sandals with socks...

1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I live in rafting and mountain biking country (lots of horse trails too). Summer time is horrible around here with all the river rats in their Subarus. They bring nothing to our community. They clog up the roads by going 10mph under the speed limit. They park in the most dangerous spots along the tight mountain roads. Sure, they may help support the local restaurant economy, but they're not friendly and I'd just as soon have them go away.

And they wear sandals with socks...

The Subaru is a very capable vehicle for all those activities, to bad about the people that own them. I usually laugh at the line going around starbucks, half the cars are Subaru.... Luckily we dont fall into that category of people... hell half the time I have to tell the wife to slow down, but she does like her starbucks...  at least we brew it at home. 

And I'm not even commenting on the socks and sandals or we will see a 2 page discussion on it.....

Datsun pic because to much Subaru talk

20200513-131531.jpg

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, mainer311 said:

Do you remember what black-colored lug nuts you are using? Are they holding up? I got the "spline" type on my truck right now and they're rusting already. I want them to be black, but hold up better. 

They are actually holding up really good... I'll have to see if I can find a part number or seller for you.... 

What's the spline type?

I think that's what I have too... uses a special tool for all the lug nuts...

Ok so I went and got a close up look... I can see a little wear where the spline engages but not to bad.... 

I bought these a little over a year ago, probably had the tires off and on about 4 or 5 times.... 

Bad pic but you can see what I'm talking about....

20200513-140057.jpg  

I think the top lug nut is just a little dirty, but is wearing the black down... I do see a small bit of rust on the lower one where the spline is. .

Edited by Crashtd420