Beware of Intersecting Bolt Holes (!) in L18 Block (others too?)

L18:

The bottom radiator hose fitting:  the bottom bolt breaks into the nearest water pump bolt.

Some YaHoo, put the the wrong bolt (too long)  in the fitting flange, ground it into the WP bolt, then got a shorter bolt and put it in.  Turns out this 2nd bolt was too long too:  I removed the WP bolt and it tore of all the threads on the WP bolt when I removed it.  It felt a little stiff removing, but nowhere near worrisome. 

Took me a while to realize this SNAFU.

Only good news was nothing was stripped, but I lost some OE bolts in the process.

Shame on you Datsun. 

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dam it doesn't look like your getting a pass or the sympathy you were looking for on this one. I'm sure half these guys have fucked something up, just like you did, but aren't going to post it on a public forum.

stab                  

:poke:

stab

stick stab

:rofl:   :D

• Like 2

Hey, any car maker that intersects bolt hols and does not boss threaded holes exposing them to coolant is full of shit and their designs are crap because they wanted to save $1.19 on the machining operations of the block.

You won't find Mercedes doing that - or Studebaker for that matter.

Datsun has some good points but here they are ass hats.

You know i was down at the Studebaker dealership this morning  and the old guy that works at the blacksmiths shop next door said they went out of business some time ago.

Was that the one down the street from the apothecary and the cobbler?

OP, Studebaker had wonderful revolutionary ideas like putting the starter button under the clutch that ends up getting bumped when you shift and the brilliant overdrive that only engages when you let off the throttle for long enough to have to downshift immediately. Yeah, shared bolt holes are way less intelligent than the above dumbassery. Man, I loved the 25 second 0-60 time we got with our Champion back in the day, that's why it ended up getting a 5.0 with legit overdrive.

• Like 2

Hey, any car maker that intersects bolt hols and does not boss threaded holes exposing them to coolant is full of shit and their designs are crap because they wanted to save $1.19 on the machining operations of the block.

You won't find Mercedes doing that - or Studebaker for that matter.

Datsun has some good points but here they are ass hats.

You clearly haven't had to work on a modern car.....took me 2 hours to do a simple wiper motor replacement on my 07 mustang.....trying to get the cowl out without breaking any of the clips on it (there are no replacement for them, you'll have to purchase the entire cowl and it's not cheap) then I find out there's metric bolts everywhere when I already had my standard tools ready to work....oh but its not so simple....you need to fix the Ford engineering fuck up that lead to the wiper motor failure before you install the new one!

Ford....

They circled the problem...

Whenever I have to disassemble ANY part of my engine or drive train, I get an 12 egg empty egg train and a grease pencil and carefully disassemble and mark the exact location and torque spec of the removed part!  Screw memory!  Log it in and live to drive your antique or soon to be jewel!  Works for me!

• Like 2

Oh, don't get me started!  Fucking Datsuns!  I hate those shoddy quality trash cans!  I only have 160,000 original miles on my '84 Datsun Maxima and those assholes made my water neck housing bolts break when I took it off to seal a leak!  It took me 3 hours to re-stud the damn thing!  What a bunch of horrible, horrible people!  And the motor runs like a raped ape with 160,000 too!  Bastards!!!!  :D

• Like 1