World war 3

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hawaiians get pissed when you refer to ham and pinnapple as Hawaiian, not sure how Canadians feel about the bacon thing. I'm personally ashamed of American cheese.

How do the Italians feel about all this? On my father's side of the family, anything deviating too far from the Italian standard (thin crust, tomato based sauce, cheese, and Italian based toppings) is renamed Tomato pie. Honestly I don't think it's out of respect for Italians, it's just another thing for my family to argue about. 

• Like 1

How do the Italians feel about all this? On my father's side of the family, anything deviating too far from the Italian standard (thin crust, tomato based sauce, cheese, and Italian based toppings) is renamed Tomato pie. Honestly I don't think it's out of respect for Italians, it's just another thing for my family to argue about. 

I think the hardworking, Italian man tank top was changed over to " wife beater " in the 80's

Which this will never be. This goes up and down. It does not go into orbit. It's a way to sight see, a Disney ride, nothing more.

You are right as of the now, but this a test bed for tech in future tense. It's the spawn of greater things to come. By your comments you almost seem annoyed by actual science/engineering.

Starting small is always a prudent step to going big.

Is that a lost concept on you?

• Like 1

You are right as of the now, but this a test bed for tech in future tense. It's the spawn of greater things to come. By your comments you almost seem annoyed by actual science/engineering.

He's just used to starting small and...well...staying small.

:D

• Like 1

There is a lot of hate out there for Ellon Musk. He represents hyper progressive antiestablishment elitism. The success of radical ideas naturally threatens the blind belief that we are on the right course. Clearly, Tesla, and spaceX both threaten the hard held belief that status quo equates to safety. 30 years ago Steve Jobs held a similar position in the public eye. Good, or bad is all in the eye of the beholder.

The mission to the moon didn't start with Apollo 11. The goal for this stage in SpaceX development was to re-land, recover, and reuse the primary rocket. Mission accomplished. Better yet, unlike NASA's bloated government bureaucracy, this progress didn't cost the tax payers a dime.

• Like 2

There is a lot of hate out there for Ellon Musk. He represents hyper progressive antiestablishment elitism. The success of radical ideas naturally threatens the blind belief that we are on the right course. Clearly, Tesla, and spaceX both threaten the hard held belief that status quo equates to safety. 30 years ago Steve Jobs held a similar position in the public eye. Good, or bad is all in the eye of the beholder.

The mission to the moon didn't start with Apollo 11. The goal for this stage in SpaceX development was to re-land, recover, and reuse the primary rocket. Mission accomplished. Better yet, unlike NASA's bloated government bureaucracy, this progress didn't cost the tax payers a dime.

The beauty of correct Capitolism. Not Crony Socialized/capitolism.
  • Like 2

I like science. Engineering has never gotten anything right. Forward strides are always learned from past disasters.

It's not scale-able. Anyone can go straight up touch space and drop back down. (wow 329,000 ft that's a whole 63 miles) Look how much fuel is needed to get a Saturn V or shuttle craft into orbit, (that's 17,000 MPH and 200 miles high) then add even more fuel to slow it down and even more to finally land it. If this did that, then you'd have something news worthy. BTW I said that the landing looks CG and staged. Call me in 10 years and we'll talk about how this all worked out... hell 5 years

Not at all. But it's already been done with the Space Shuttle which IS basically a scaled up version. Private companies might do it for a bit less.

Had to look up Ellon Musk. The truth will set you free but there is no money in that. One thing all really great hucksters have in common is to lie big to investors. There is a strong connection to belief and how big a lie it is. That video is slick marketing, that's all. I really like the applause track. One of the biggest investors will be the military and their payloads. One way or another you all pay a tax. This might work

Mike, I respect a bit of healthy skepticism, but you really should do your research before throwing stones. SpaceX was the first commercial vehicle to deliver a load of supplies to the International Space Station. So yah, they've gone beyond the 200 mile limit of orbit a few times.

As for the lying huckster comment, first, he was a Canadian citizen before becoming a a US citizen. Now, let's see what he's accomplished as a ex Canadian "lying Huckster"

• February 1999: Sells Zip2 to Compaq, the personal computer company, for $307 million, of which $22 million went to Musk. He also creates X.com, which in 2000 morphs into PayPal
• July 2002: eBay acquires PayPal for $1.5 billion in stock, of which $165 million goes to Musk
• 2002: Becomes an American citizen
• 2002: Founds SpaceX9
• 2004: Invests in Tesla Motors
• 2006, Elon Musk co-founded SolarCity, a photovoltaics products and services company with his cousin Lyndon River.
• 2007: SpaceX wins $1.6 billion contract to bring cargo to the International Space Station
• October 2008: Becomes Tesla's CEO
• Jun 29, 2010: Tesla IPO
• 2010 Awarded with the highest honor in air & space, the FAI Gold Space Medal, for designing the first privately developed rocket to reach orbit. Neil Armstrong has also won this prestigious award.
• Dec 2010, SpaceX became the first commercial company to successfully recover a spacecraft from Earth orbit with its Dragon spacecraft.
• May 2012: SpaceX becomes the first commercial vehicle to deliver a load of supplies to the International Space Station.
• June 2012: Tesla begins deliveries of the all-electric Model S
• August 2013: Releases sketch and concept of the Hyperloop his idea for a transportation system that could send people from San Francisco to Los Angeles in half an hour, using pressurized tubes.
• December 2015, Elon Musk announced the creation of OpenAI, a not-for-profit artificial intelligence (AI) research company.

Yah, sounds like a total douche huckster to me.

• Like 1

Mike, I respect a bit of healthy skepticism, but you really should do your research before throwing stones. SpaceX was the first commercial vehicle to deliver a load of supplies to the International Space Station. So yah, they've gone beyond the 200 mile limit of orbit a few times.

As for the lying huckster comment, first, he was a Canadian citizen before becoming a a US citizen. Now, let's see what he's accomplished as a ex Canadian "lying Huckster"

• February 1999: Sells Zip2 to Compaq, the personal computer company, for $307 million, of which $22 million went to Musk. He also creates X.com, which in 2000 morphs into PayPal

• July 2002: eBay acquires PayPal for $1.5 billion in stock, of which $165 million goes to Musk

• 2002: Becomes an American citizen

• 2002: Founds SpaceX9

• 2004: Invests in Tesla Motors

• 2006, Elon Musk co-founded SolarCity, a photovoltaics products and services company with his cousin Lyndon River.

• 2007: SpaceX wins $1.6 billion contract to bring cargo to the International Space Station

• October 2008: Becomes Tesla's CEO

• Jun 29, 2010: Tesla IPO

• 2010 Awarded with the highest honor in air & space, the FAI Gold Space Medal, for designing the first privately developed rocket to reach orbit. Neil Armstrong has also won this prestigious award.

• Dec 2010, SpaceX became the first commercial company to successfully recover a spacecraft from Earth orbit with its Dragon spacecraft.

• May 2012: SpaceX becomes the first commercial vehicle to deliver a load of supplies to the International Space Station.

• June 2012: Tesla begins deliveries of the all-electric Model S

• August 2013: Releases sketch and concept of the Hyperloop his idea for a transportation system that could send people from San Francisco to Los Angeles in half an hour, using pressurized tubes.

• December 2015, Elon Musk announced the creation of OpenAI, a not-for-profit artificial intelligence (AI) research company.

Yah, sounds like a total douche huckster to me.

This... does not go into orbit and return. Not to mention looks like a poor computer generated U-Tube. Come back when it's ten times larger to hold all the fuel and re-entry shielding and then grows wings.

We have our share of douchebags here.

Highlighted portions might be considered an accomplishment but releasing sketches and proposing outrageous pie in the sky schemes... these are not accomplishments. Any SiFi writer can do that. Making money on investments... that's what people do. How about the failed ones?

For the record the government is unlikely to rely on the private sector to go into outer space unless it has control, likely investment capitol.

Still throwing stone. ONE MORE TIME.

This... does not go into orbit and return. Not to mention looks like a poor computer generated U-Tube. Come back when it's ten times larger to hold all the fuel and re-entry shielding and then grows wings.

This is the primary liftoff rocket and was never intended to go into orbit. The 4 Primary liftoff rockets on the "space shuttle" were a complete write off. The SpaceX vehicle it self has always returned, been recovered, and reused. What makes this video significant is that now, even the primary is recovered. But your contention is that the video looks like a hoax? Sorry man, I have nothing for that. 

We have our share of douchebags here.

Highlighted portions might be considered an accomplishment but releasing sketches and proposing outrageous pie in the sky schemes... these are not accomplishments. Any SiFi writer can do that. Making money on investments... that's what people do. How about the failed ones?

Only the "Highlighted portions"? Holy shit Mike, any one of those accomplishments are more than you and I will ever do in our life. You have no idea what an accomplishment it was to bring the IPO, Initial Public Offering of Tesla to the open stock market. No other independent car company has don that in almost 100 years. The IPO price for a share of Tesla was $17.00, today 10 years later those shares sell for $237 and the company is valued at $29.98B

For the record the government is unlikely to rely on the private sector to go into outer space unless it has control, likely investment capitol.

For the record, the US Gubment isn't needed for SpaceX to be profitable. While the US space shuttle program has been shut down, the international community gave spaceX a $1.6 billion contract to stock the space station, and they delivered ahead of schedule, and the cost per flight has fallen sense they started. 

Unlike Trump, I would vote for Ellon, but I can't, BECAUSE HE WAS A CANADIAN.

• Like 1

Elon Musk has made me a bunch of money in the market, and I do love his accomplishments, but Mike is dead on about his ability/willingness/apptitude toward embellishing. This is what makes him great. He over-sells, and the industry/market adjust to make fit. He pitched a battery for homes two years ago. He released enough information to water the mouths of homeowners, and more importantly businesses that could facilitate his product. He puts the cart before the horse. He did this with Tesla as well. Everyone said, electric cars need infrastructure to work (charging stations). Musk said, "fuck it"! And made a car that people would build an infrastructure for. He is really a Great salesman. I'm curious about how many of these are actually his ideas. Most guys like him take great ideas and sell the fuck out of it. Not to downplay the importance of that at all though. Many great ideas die with their inventors. Sad but true.

President? I'd need more convincing. A lot more.

• Like 1