Gumby - Dragon Green 521

HOGIE

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This seems like the most ridiculously cruel and awesome practical joke you could play on a person

Ridiculous. Yes. When hobo mentioned it earlier I disregarded it thinking it was ridiculous and who the fuck would put the gears in upside down. I was thinking the tranny internals were all fucked up and I almost had the tranny out before I even looked close

• Like 1

Be sure and lube the insides of the adjusters up GOOD.  So they don't freeze up again.  Take the star out, and lube it REALLY good inside with this stuff. It will not seize up again.  We use this at my work, and it's amazing stuff. Trust me on this. Also use it to lube the friction points on drum shoes, and disc brakes (for the slide pins and such)

16160018_ptx_24125_pri_larg.jpg

For the rear differential.  When you install it, aren't you supposed to set it up? so it has the correct backlash and such?  May check into that so you don't burn the rear end up.

• Like 3

Ridiculous. Yes. When hobo mentioned it earlier I disregarded it thinking it was ridiculous and who the fuck would put the gears in upside down. I was thinking the tranny internals were all fucked up and I almost had the tranny out before I even looked close

I was saying it to prevent you finding out after the tranny was out
  • Like 2

I wonder if the electric motor spun the wrong direction.. so they just flipped the pumpkin.

The guy I bought the truck from wasn't the electric motor PO. I did get contact info for the guy but never tried to get ahold of him. Sure wish had by now. Might have gotten heads up on this little situation. Not a big deal though, just a little more wrenching on my truck. Good times

• Like 4

Tonight I got the transmission, starter, clutch slave reinstalled that got pulled last night, that didn't need to be removed ugh

Once that was back together I removed the rear bleeders and loosened the backing plate nuts, then slide out the axles. Removed nuts holding rear end gears in place and pulled the gears. Cleaned up the seal surface, axle house and reinstalled gears, right side up of course, bolted up axles, filled rear end gear oil, reinstalled driveline and topped off the tranny.

Al jumped in the truck and ran it through the gears while it was up on stands. Everything moves in the right direction. Should've took a vid

Gears on the bench

image_zpshkrekf0f.jpg

Ring gear stamp. 4.37's

image_zpsvdsg1hm3.jpg

Empty housing to prove it happened

image_zpssb3y4t62.jpg

Blurry shot of housing with gears reinstalled

image_zps6m5epjbt.jpg

• Like 3

So here is the correct way . 

IMAG6338_zpsv9cxqxvl.jpg

And this is how hogie's diff is installed . 

IMAG6337_zpskpnzwb4b.jpg

That is actually some pretty cool tech. To do a spring over just flip the axle over and reinstall the diff right side up. Bam 6" lift. :D

• Like 3

J2eDeYe,

The only issue with that would be your wheel cylinders/bleed screws would be facing down so you'd have a bitch of a time bleeding air out of the lines and the park brake cables would be entering at the top of the backing plates. You'd be better off keeping the axle in it's stock configuration and welding new spring perches on top of the axle which would allow you to clock the diff for proper pinion angle.

• Like 1

J2eDeYe,

The only issue with that would be your wheel cylinders/bleed screws would be facing down so you'd have a bitch of a time bleeding air out of the lines and the park brake cables would be entering at the top of the backing plates. You'd be better off keeping the axle in it's stock configuration and welding new spring perches on top of the axle which would allow you to clock the diff for proper pinion angle.

I think you can just pull the axles and diff , flip the empty housing only and re install gears an axles . brakes would still be up right . 

The weird parts would be a drain plug on the top . ( easy to fill at least )   And I wonder if it would get enough gear oil to the pinion bearing .

• Like 3

True, if you'd clock the whole backing plate ass'y 180 degrees after flipping the diff then it'd all line up

If it were me tho I'd just weld new perches on the axle tubes

• Like 2

can you still read your paint code sticker?  is it 558?

Not sure. Where is the sticker located, I'll check and see. But that's what this fella told me

color is "dragon green" 558

• Like 1

Mine is 558. If yours is too then yours has some serious fade. Way different.

I do like your color though.

Yes faded. Needs a buff

This is what it looked like when I first got it

image_zpslwg6pfdb.jpg

After a wash it looks like this. Should stay more or less this shade when buffed

034_zpsqpkwbib0.jpg

• Like 4

Couple none essential project for the truck going on.

Getting back to the heater box rebuild. And piecing together a bench seat

Almost all the parts are ready for reassembly. Just missing one important piece

image_zpsey2owcux.jpg

Painted the outside of te box. Tomorrow paint the inside and reassemble once it's dry

image_zpsaenpv6ni.jpg

Three bench seats that will become one. Lower cushion from tan (620 right), back rest from blue (620 left) and tracks from marroon (521 center). And Caesar too

image_zpstpyqmijm.jpg

• Like 3

Yeah. 558. Damn that's a clean truck. 

Tomorrow is 5/21/2016. Driving by then?

If I drive it around with only the down pipe. Exhaust won't be in tomorrow but besides that yes. Need to scrap together seat^^^

• Like 2