Gumby - Dragon Green 521

HOGIE

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put my alternator out of 620 in truck. With new battery. Starting voltage of battery was 12.7

When running voltage across battery was 13.7 and 13.30 with the brights

All this time the engine is fluttering and stumbling while idling.

Then the alternator let the smoke out

Started it again quickly check if it was charging, voltage was 12.5.... Nope

I'm fucked

• Like 1

a 79 620 is a internal reg alternator anyway so putting a new IR alt should not change need to change the wiring.

I think a 70amper would not fit in there to good as has little adjustment then hit the idler arm.

or is this a external volt reg 521 then yes needs the jumper wires installed

but going by the voltages you describes sound like it was working normal

re reading your thread what you did, I would have just bought another stock 35amp for the 521 now possible you have to broke vehicles.

521s are external volt reg

620s dont have a external volt reg as its inside the alternator

California datsun(datsun LLC) i think make a connector that has the jumpers so its idiot proof conversion for the plug

one can use a broken old volt reg connector and jumper the wires also then plug into the harness.  But no need to break a good external volt reg for this

• Like 2

Or, just get your battery charged up and limp it out to camp. :) 

If you want to run out to JC, I'll be home around 6 working on last minute shit. We can dive in and see what's doin, or not doin. Of course, you'll need that battery charged up.

• Like 1

70amp alt was a tight fit, didn't think that any wiring was needed with the IR.

IR was charging just fine but engine was stumbling. Weird because it ran fine with old batt that didn't hold a charge and alternator that didn't put out enough current to charge batt. Well until the voltage dropped below 12volts. Thinking about it now, I was testing the voltage with the lights. First runners, then brights and that was when the alt let out it's smoke.

Why would it run rough that has to do with alt and batt when there is plenty of juice? Could something be pulling power away from the coil?

Just bought a ext reg alt listed for 74 620, they didn't have one listed for 521, old batt that wouldn't hold a charge was turned in as a core for new one, next is go through wiring and look for shorts.

• Like 1

Hey...found another one, this one smaller....I know nothing of them, they came with my datto 11 years ago and I had forgotten I have them...

20160609_142917.jpg

I feel like I'm on a treasure hunt as I find really cool stuff I didn't remember I had....metal Datsun emblems included :thumbup:

• Like 1

I found an old alternator in my stash, might be IR and you're welcome to try and see if it works, HOGIE...20160609_142124.jpg

541-543-4356 Call me if you want to try it out, I'll take it to your house when you get off work...

That is not an IR alt. IR does not have the black plastic cover.

• Like 2

far as I know the 521 alternator mount usues the smaller 12mm bolt heads which is like a M8 bolt. so the other Newer HIGHER AMP alternators use a bigger bolt hole.  That's why I say use a 35amper.

anyways I only take good volt reading with it at idle and no load . as a 35amper cant handle much with heater on and wipers ect. I drop before13 and even lower sometimes.  I just load ajust as I drive. 

I see where they put reducers rings in the bolt holes to use the smaller bolts yhats how they list a 50amper option on 510s/521 with L16s

On my Banzai 510 I had a machine shop drill out the mount straight thru to 3/8bolt  and used a latter assume l20b 620 external reg ALTERNATOR

that 74 alternator you just bought I bet has the bigger holes. Now you either got to make bigger holes in the alt mount or reduce the holes in the alt so it don't rattle/shake.  If they listed a L20b in 74 I know its a bigger bolt like M10 If I remember right.

HOUGE

I would have that alt cked out anyways. and the wireing on truck is OK hopefull  but ck the fuses also

Draker is correct on the jumpers but get the correct colors shorted.

• Like 4