Gumby - Dragon Green 521

HOGIE

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Took the fan motor apart and found out that the reason it wasn't turning freely was that the shaft was seized to the copper bushing on the output end. cleaned it up and and put it all back together.

The trickiest parts were removing and installing the brushes because the commutators were grooved and I had to compress both brush springs to clear the lip of the groove while wiggling it out of the housing, same going in. Also when I pulled out coil and shaft, the cooper bushing came out with it because it was seized to the shaft. That's how I figured out what the issue was. The bushing is held in place by a spring steel clip which by its design it was easy for the bushing to come out but to get it back in, not so much. To get the bushing back in place I tried as much as I could to bend out the tabs of the retainer clip using needle nose and snap ring pliers and then I pressed it in with some delicate forcefulness. I lubed up the shaft and put slid it in place.

I tested the motor, spins like a champ  :thumbup:

Poor photos but you get the point

Motor completely torn apart

image_zpsaolnsqvs.jpg

And all back together

image_zpstzovcwxm.jpg

• Like 4

Next stage in the heater box restoration is underway.

Last night I lubed, heated and babied the set screw out that holds the heater valve in place and then drove the valve out with a punch. Dropped the heater core off at te radiator shop to get hot tanked, flushed, repaired (previous solder repair at inlet tube is cracked) and pressure tested.

I also dipped ( hot tank then acid treatment) the heater box. I'll probably do the same with the upper chamber

Only one more very important part left

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Some small things have happened.

Brake and clutch master cylinders, clutch hard line, clutch slave, brake and clutch pedals, and rear shocks have been installed. Buttoned up reinstalling fuel tank hoses.

Tomorrow I'm taking the truck to the DMV to get a VIN inspection, licensed and registered. Still haven't started it so I was test pushing it and found that the brakes were stuck so I jacked up each tire and found one wheel locked and the others dragging, 2 just a little.

Tried to adjust the locked up brake and found that the adjuster was seized, so I took it out, used a little liquid wrench and cleaned it up. Put it back together and installed with anti-seize. Adjusted and spins freely. No pics, anti-seize and phones don't mix

Now it's a roller and moving forward according to my pan. Registration tomorrow

• Like 3

Still have to do it if it came from a different state , as long as the title is from Oregon you can register anytime without the car .

Title is from Idaho, gotta do that too. lol

I need to tow it 6 blocks to the DMV. Seems like a waste of a tow.

• Like 1

I need to do that on my 2 door since it was last titled out of state. I have the title though.

It will cost you $194 for standard plates. I was going to go for the Pacific Wonderland plates but I didn't have the $100 to get them

• Like 1

It will cost you $194 for standard plates. I was going to go for the Pacific Wonderland plates but I didn't have the $100 to get them

Got them on my 4dr.

Shit we can push it that far , 

Or you could use you AAA card and have em haul it around in a circle  :devil:

I'll probably AAA it before it expires.

• Like 1

Man, that sucks that you have to tow it there. We just call the cops and an officer just comes over and signs a vin verification form that you take to the dmv when you go.

• Like 2

Not much I think....HOGIE looks happy :thumbup:

yup, very happy to be at the end of this and now be able to drive it

Back on track... what's left before you drive it?

Its going to need some more brake adjustments to start. I only worked on the one brake adjuster to free up the locked wheel so I'll probably be going through all of them....

Not considering the stopping part to make it run and drive it needs maybe 6 hose clamps, coolant, tighten 2 exhaust manifold bolts, fuel, mock up carb bolted down (I'm going to run the weber in 620 once this one is shook down), tranny fluid, speedo hooked up, and then battery, starter, and alternator need to be hooked up along with whatever other electrical bugs need to be figured out. The seats are just sitting in there so they will need to be figured out and bolted down too. And hopefully the only thing left is the windshield needs to be installed, but that's not going to keep me from driving it.

• Like 2

Man, that sucks that you have to tow it there. We just call the cops and an officer just comes over and signs a vin verification form that you take to the dmv when you go.

That would make things a lot easier, but its done and I'm stocked. The money is spent and its time to drive!

• Like 3