Gumby - Dragon Green 521

HOGIE

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's my motor it's got my name on it, at least.lol

I talked to a guy in Portland area and he said this motor wouldn't even be able to push the truck down the road. He said it would make a bad lawnmower.

Anyone want the motor or tranny? Dirty cheap!

• Like 2

How did you come to know this guy, does he have an agenda?

If it is a forklift motor, then it was made to move weight, a lot of weight, maybe not particularly fast, but a fork lift is a fork lift, and a fork lift motor is likely of industrial design.

I talked to a guy in Portland area and he said this motor wouldn't even be able to push the truck down the road. He said it would make a bad lawnmower.

Anyone want the motor or tranny? Dirty cheap!

• Like 2

^^^^

I looked for info about electric vehicles and his name and number was on the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association page. His business is doing e-vehicle conversion. That may be his agenda to talk me into going to him for his services, idk. He told me when he does his conversions that he used 120- volt systems and this engine is 36 and thus could never get a vehicle up to highway speed. Anyway I'm not looking to go electric so no big loss.

• Like 1

^^^^

I looked for info about electric vehicles and his name and number was on the Oregon Electric Vehicle Association page. His business is doing e-vehicle conversion. That may be his agenda to talk me into going to him for his services, idk. He told me when he does his conversions that he used 120- volt systems and this engine is 36 and thus could never get a vehicle up to highway speed. Anyway I'm not looking to go electric so no big loss.

Yea, he has an agenda, I wonder what the White Zombie motor is, if it's 120 volt then maybe the guy is right, if it's not 120 volt, then that guy is just promoting his way which makes him money, and it's likely is not the only way, it's just his way.

I would hold on to that motor till you know more, it likely is worth quite a bit in copper, and will be worth more when metals go back up in price.

• Like 1

So there you go, it's that guys way or it won't even make a good lawn mower.

I didn't know that the White Zombie had 2 motors, but I did know that it has prototype batteries, I believe they are worth $100,000 or at least were, that is what he said while I was standing there at the Blue Lake Meet, what fascinated me was the little fans that each pack of cells had, when the sun hit them, the little fans would come on, but the ones in the shade didn't come on, it was just cool to me.

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

It's been while but I'm happy to say it's almost time to put this thing together. As previously stated the PO planned on going electric and pulled all the combustion parts before bailing on the project.

I've since collected the parts I need to get this thing back together:

Fuel tank

Fuel lines

Filler tube

L16 - I've been running it in my 620 for a year, very strong

521 oil pan & pick up tube

5speed tranny

Clutch kit

521 motor mounts

Engine wire harness

Radiator- *620 I think it will work

Clutch pedal- for some reason they got rid of it

I still need to get a clutch master cylinder and a windshield gasket.

Here is my question for the day. I bought a 620 STANDARD cab a while back and it had a L16 with the 5speed behind it ( the same one planning on using). It also had a one piece driveline. Will this fit in the 521 with this drivetrain? Is the distance from flywheel to the differential the same distance for 521 and 620 standard cabs?

• Like 2

No it will not sorry to say. As for the motor you need the 521 mounts.the tranny you will need to cut and weld a new tranny mount. And drive shaft I believe a 520 1 piece will work maybe. Some will chime in to clarify this.

Glad you are still moving forward with this truck

Thanks for the response. I thought that it would be to easy if the one piece just fell right in. I think it's the same set up as the Canby 2015 truck and I recall there was was much misinformation about what would fit. It got a two piece but the front shaft was custom. Might have been a car 5speed.

And I have the motor mounts

color is "dragon green" 558

That does sound cooler but what's done is done

• Like 1

The 5speed is going in. I've been looking into doing a motor swap on my 620 and there are option to use other vehicle parts and was looking for info on what can be used in my 521.

And yes measure

Measure the 5 speed before you scrap the idea.

I have the correct oil pan

Yeah don't scrap the idea. It's so doable if I dummy like me can do things then you are in really good shape.get the motor and tranny in and measure twice then cut. On ly tranny mount is redone the rest is direct drop in. Make sure also you do have a 521 oil pan. As they are different.

• Like 1

IMG_0502_zps829e16ea.jpg

The 521 mount can be modified and used. I don't have the exact measurements but once the dogleg is in you should be able to measure it much closer. This is the area to be removed and welded back up.

Trans_Mount_Mod.jpg

IMG_0504_zpsb93e4ffc.jpg

IMG_0503_zps8fa23acd.jpg

IMG_0548_zps323733af.jpg

IMG_0555_zps9761cc9a.jpg

Modified mount facing the other way.

IMG_0550_zps66720dd6.jpg

IMG_0553_zps202a664c.jpg

It is approximately 2" I have done 3 on these and they were all different by a 1/16 of an inch.  So measure, cut, and weld according to your measurements.

Some people have had tp do this depending on Transmission used.

IMG_0558_zps6d9c3311.jpg

IMG_0559_zpsd596e88c.jpg

• Like 2

This is how I put a long shaft 5 speed transmission in one of my Dragon green 521 trucks.  The transmission mount is a piece of angle, dropped over the transmission cross member, and bolted to it.  then a piece of rectangular tube was welded to the front face of the angle.  Then part of the stock transmission mount was cut, and notched to sit over the rectangular tube.

Transmission mount 1

TransMount1.jpg

I was younger then, and could attach two pieces of metal together, but the welds were not pretty.

Transmission mount 2

TransMount2.jpg

Drive shaft transmission end. 

The five speed transmission has a slip yoke.  I took the stock two piece drive shaft to a drive line shop, and had them shorten the front drive shaft, and put the slip yoke on it.

TransYoke2.jpg

Shifter cover plate.

I cut a hole aft of the original hole, about the size of the original hole.  The cut piece of metal was put into the old hole, and welded in.

5SpeedShiftPlate_zps8156553e.jpg

I used a 240Z speedometer cable, no picture.

The five speed had a reverse switch, that was plugged into the reverse light wires.  The other two pair of wires were not hooked up.

This is a picture of the space between the shifter, and a 521 bench seat.

DragonSeat2_zpsj9y3artr.jpg

• Like 2

Let me know if you need/want any help putting things back together! Haven't seen you in a while, I hope you've been doing good! Congrats on the job at metalworks also, that's really cool.

• Like 3

Daniel

Thanks as always for the detailed info. Looks like I have some cutting and welding ahead of me. I was hoping to hear I could just drop in another driveline but it seems I'll have to install transmission the have driveline front shaft made to fit.

Let me know if you need/want any help putting things back together! Haven't seen you in a while, I hope you've been doing good! Congrats on the job at metalworks also, that's really cool.

Thanks. Yup doing good. Im pretty stoked about the job. Boss is awesome and he's letting me dip my parts pho free. Yes come over when it's time to assemble. I've been accumulating parts to put it together.

• Like 3