• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're a republican but with closet democrat thread locking leanings then?

Coil overs? 521s don't have struts to put them on. You could instal coil over shocks though, but the 521 already has a suspension with torsion bars and leaf springs. Remove the leaf springs and there is nothing to hold the rear end in place. You would have to radically change the truck suspension to something like 4 link. An excessive modification just to improve the ride.

If I voted ever again it wouldn't be Liberal.   

Mike, stop saying you need struts to have coilovers.  Plenty of vehicles have coilovers and never had, nor will ever have, struts. :P

I prefer to listen carefully to other people's point of view. I form my own beliefs and opinions, based on educating myself on both sides. Once upon a time, I called myself a Republican. Now I prefer not to choose sides, instead I stand up for my beliefs as an individual. Mostly, I find others who agree with my position, and occasionally I have the pleasure of being educated by someone who does not.

I do firmly believe there are far too many labels keeping the people in my Country divided, rather than United.

Divide, and conquer. It still works.

• Like 1

Mike, stop saying you need struts to have coilovers.  Plenty of vehicles have coilovers and never had, nor will ever have, struts. :P

Ask someone to post a picture of a coil over and you will get a McPherson strut..... with a coil over on it.  A coil over mounted on a shock absorber is a coil shock.

EMPI-9570-8B_vw_shock_front_bug_ghia_coi

Ask someone to post a picture of a coil over and you will get a McPherson strut..... with a coil over on it.  A coil over mounted on a shock absorber is a coil shock.

EMPI-9570-8B_vw_shock_front_bug_ghia_coi

What you just pictured is a coilover.  If anything, referring to a mcpherson strut with an adjustable collar as a coilover is the misleading way of describing them.  A coilover does not imply a structural part of the suspension geometry.  Look at QA1, Bilstein, etc.  They all refer to what you pictured as a coilover.

Your anti guns and anti patriot act.

Wow, you must be a genius, what school did you go to? I must send my kids there.

The one that made me not turn into a pussy.  I don't need a gun to stand up to the government... Wait is that what the second amendment is for?  How does the "well regulated" part go?  Or the "Militia" part go?  Only a moron would think let the government stick it's noise anywhere it wants because "terrorism".....  

I own a shit load of guns and thats my right and thats it,I dont push it on any one or drive or walk around and flash them end of story. These discussions go the same way every time, It started with a book and now its us versus them AGAIN,.

LOCK THE THREAD ALREADY.

1. If a Republican doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
If a Democrat doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.
2. If a Republican is a vegetarian, he doesn't eat meat.

If a Democrat is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

3. If a Republican is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.

If a Democrat is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

4. If a Republican is down-and-out, he thinks

about how to better his situation.

If a Democrat is down-and-out he wonders

who is going to take care of him.

5. If a Republican doesn't like a talk show host or reporter, he switches channels.

A Democrat demands that those they don't like be shut down.

6. If a Republican is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.

A Democrat non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.

7. If a Republican decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.

If a Democrat decides he needs health care, he demands that the rest of us pay for his.

8. If a Republican reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.

A Democrat will delete it because he's "offended".

1.  That's what everyone does that doesn't want one.... What else would you do?   I do dream about them being outlawed and vote any way I can make that happen.  

2.  HAHA that's to funny to even reply to hahahaha

3.  I thought he tapped his foot in the bathroom?  They should have the right to get married.  How does that not make sense? 

4.  HAHA helping a fellow man out...  Yeah fuck those lazy bastards!   Get a job!  PS lower my taxes to zero please

5.  If that were true there would be no thing as fox news.   Wait can fox and news be in the same sentence? 

6.  Damn right we do.  Get that out of every government paid for institution and make churches pay taxes.   

7.  Or in every other industrialized country they realize that its a right not a privilege.  We are for the all mighty dollar, what makes more money....  O yeah our system!   

8.  I think it's the other way around!  I laughed the whole time and showed my buddies!!!!  hahaha 

I'm anti patriot act. That pile of legislative shit has suspended our constitutional rights indefinitely. It protects no one but the elite or our oligarch corporations.

. Label anyone a terrorist and we can detain you without habiouscorpus. Thats brilliant. We can now be unfettered when making people disappear.

I'm pro gun but I agree with Jeff that the patriot act is garbage.

But because of this type of legislation I would much rather hang on to my tools thank you. It's a fine example of why dissolving the 1st and 2nd amendments is stupid.

If a righty or a lefty has no fear of its people then they wouldn't be as sneaky like with the patriot act. It would be much mold bold faced like the retard fuck head holding the executive office now or the fine shit head examples of John sucks Boners and the Harry Reid's, Nancy pill pippin pelosi. The list goes on.

Jeff has an opinion like anyone else. I can assure you he isn't uneducated or firm in his opinion without studied information.

Bernie Sanders is my man!!!!!  

Guns are the reason you can post drivel like this.THe third amendment has nothing to do with ANYTHING discussed by either side in this topic. And loud pipes DO save lives.

Nope my macbook pro is the reason I can post this.  

The third amendment does.  Read it and think about the time, think about our country and how it was formed.  There was no army, they didn't want any army actually.  They wanted everyone to form small "armies", "militia" that way no one could be suppressed.  So along with that they banned housing soldiers.  

Because the pipe aims backwards.  I don't hear shit until their tail pipe is parallel with my window aka out of my blind spot and out of harms way.  It does draw attention to how cool they are though!  I think frilly things off their handle bars would also help.  Maybe we can get all the motor bike guys with loud exhaust to get those.  

They have free speech in many other countries with severe gun control.

How are statistics gathered to show lives are saved by loud pipes? A life saved or death/accident avoided or a near miss isn't reported. So is it inferred because quiet motorcycles are in more accidents? Or is it just 'loud is a warning to other drivers that a motorcycle is coming' , thus.... 'so they are  aware of them', thus.... 'less accidents that are fatal'

answered above.  Loud pipes = annoying thats it.  I did ask a few cops which bikes they see wrecked the worsted.  Seems like Harely's are in more and worse wrecks.  They both said because un experienced riders would buy a bike way to big and with no experience fuck up.  

Simple logic.Loud(er) pipes make cage drivers aware of the presence of bike(s). Un-less the driver has homicidal intentions, logic dictates that since the driver is now aware of the bike,the chances of an accident are either eliminated or greatly reduced. Note: I am not a fan of drag pipes as they actually defeat their purpose on the street.

Back to our topic:

http://news.yahoo.com/knockout-game-attacker-asked-man-had-gun-punching-202027404.html

Any more questions?

You can't hear them until they are passed you.  Now that I've said it you'll notice the same thing.  

The problem with discussions like this is people start spewing their opinion like its a statistical scientific fact. I try to leave my opinion out of it and discuss facts......but that never really work because people don't want facts, you cant argue with facts so then anger ensues, just never works

Listen to fox news they argue with facts all day!  

How does the "well regulated" part go?  Or the "Militia" part go?  

8you.  Now that I've said it you'll notice the same thing.  

A bit of American, not European history is due here!  First "well regulated" means that you have practiced enough that you can shoot straight!  If you were young enough to be drafted or patriotic enough to have volunteered for American military service, you spent a considerable amount of time on the target range with your issued M1 rifle learning how to shoot it and filling out the "registration" card that went with your issue rifle.  It was accurately named "Regulating your firearm" and that's what a "well regulated" militia does.  It prectises firearms qualification often enough to know just where the carefully aimed shot will hit.  The old New England tradition of "waste not, want not" applies here!

As to the "militia", the acts of the Continental Congress, as affirmed by the newly formed US Congress deemed the "militia" to be all males not incarcerated [AKA as known as "Free" males and I don't know if this included indentured or apprentice males] or otherwise forbidden to bear arms between the ages of 18 and 62 to be the militia.Not so strangely, many states have a State Guard Force separate from the National Guard that is the inheritor of this tradition.  And no, I am not referring to Colonel Saunders!

• Like 1

What you just pictured is a coilover.  If anything, referring to a mcpherson strut with an adjustable collar as a coilover is the misleading way of describing them.  A coilover does not imply a structural part of the suspension geometry.  Look at QA1, Bilstein, etc.  They all refer to what you pictured as a coilover.

Hmmm. Seems if you type in 'coil over' you get both examples, mostly for struts. On a car with struts the strut is designed to support the car's weight on a spring. On the 521 you can't install a 'coil over' but you could remove the shock absorbers and replace with a coil over shock. But note the shock mount was never designed to support the vehicle weight at this point and it is already on springs. Further I don't see a coil over as a cure for harsh ride as it's the vehicle height that is the cause of this not the stock springs. More than coil overs would be needed to cure this.

The one that made me not turn into a pussy.  I don't need a gun to stand up to the government... Wait is that what the second amendment is for?  How does the "well regulated" part go?  Or the "Militia" part go?  Only a moron would think let the government stick it's noise anywhere it wants because "terrorism".....  

1.  That's what everyone does that doesn't want one.... What else would you do?   I do dream about them being outlawed and vote any way I can make that happen.  

2.  HAHA that's to funny to even reply to hahahaha

3.  I thought he tapped his foot in the bathroom?  They should have the right to get married.  How does that not make sense? 

4.  HAHA helping a fellow man out...  Yeah fuck those lazy bastards!   Get a job!  PS lower my taxes to zero please

5.  If that were true there would be no thing as fox news.   Wait can fox and news be in the same sentence? 

6.  Damn right we do.  Get that out of every government paid for institution and make churches pay taxes.   

7.  Or in every other industrialized country they realize that its a right not a privilege.  We are for the all mighty dollar, what makes more money....  O yeah our system!   

8.  I think it's the other way around!  I laughed the whole time and showed my buddies!!!!  hahaha 

Bernie Sanders is my man!!!!!  

Nope my macbook pro is the reason I can post this.  

The third amendment does.  Read it and think about the time, think about our country and how it was formed.  There was no army, they didn't want any army actually.  They wanted everyone to form small "armies", "militia" that way no one could be suppressed.  So along with that they banned housing soldiers.  

Because the pipe aims backwards.  I don't hear shit until their tail pipe is parallel with my window aka out of my blind spot and out of harms way.  It does draw attention to how cool they are though!  I think frilly things off their handle bars would also help.  Maybe we can get all the motor bike guys with loud exhaust to get those.  

answered above.  Loud pipes = annoying thats it.  I did ask a few cops which bikes they see wrecked the worsted.  Seems like Harely's are in more and worse wrecks.  They both said because un experienced riders would buy a bike way to big and with no experience fuck up.  

You can't hear them until they are passed you.  Now that I've said it you'll notice the same thing.  

#7-please show which part of the constitution addresses health care.(I'll wait)

So A Apple computer gave you the bill of rights. Interesting.

Yes,they did want an army. And th eneed for that was confirmed in 1812.And the "Army" is completely separate from the "well-regulated militia". The 3rd amendment addresses housing regular army troops in civilian quarters. The miltia exists to exterminate our government should the need arise.

Now to the pipes, any pipe that is "baloney cut" does not aim solely backwards.And can be heard in a 180 degree semi-circle. And if loud pipes just annoy people then loud mufflers just annoy people also. But you know this isn't true.

• Like 1

Hmmm. Seems if you type in 'coil over' you get both examples, mostly for struts. On a car with struts the strut is designed to support the car's weight on a spring. On the 521 you can't install a 'coil over' but you could remove the shock absorbers and replace with a coil over shock. But note the shock mount was never designed to support the vehicle weight at this point and it is already on springs. Further I don't see a coil over as a cure for harsh ride as it's the vehicle height that is the cause of this not the stock springs. More than coil overs would be needed to cure this.

Mostly for struts because that's what's on most consumer vehicles these days, especially the "tuner" types which have the largest market for aftermarket suspension upgrades.  Coilovers are also heavily used in off road trucks, muscle cars, sports cars with A arms, the majority of custom suspensions, etc etc, none of what may have mcpherson struts.  Of course you can install a coilover on a 521, like MrBT has.  You're right about the shock mount, and they typically get reworked or at least reinforced.  Agreed about the ride - a coil is no better than a torsion bar, since they're the same thing, one is just curved.  Except in certain instances where the stock configuration is simply limiting and one is forced to use a coil spring, like a long travel front end which can twist a torsion bar beyond its limits.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the coilover debate has been finished, so here goes:

A true coilover suspension is one where the suspension will remain intact if the coil spring and shock absorber is removed.  The wheel still remains fully attached to the car.

A Macpherson (sp) strut is where the upper control arm is provided by the strut.

Type A: Mazda Miata

Type B: Most Datsun cars.

Loud mufflers or pipes aren't needed. They are just a preference of the owner to announce his 'style. Spoilers are the same thing but at least they are quiet and you can always look away.

Are you saying that quiet pipes produce the same power as loud(er)ones?

Loud mufflers or pipes aren't needed. They are just a preference of the owner to announce his 'style. Spoilers are the same thing but at least they are quiet and you can always look away.

Are you saying that quiet pipes produce the same power as loud(er)ones?

Didn't use the word power at all. Said loud mufflers are not needed.

I'm not sure if the coilover debate has been finished, so here goes:

A true coilover suspension is one where the suspension will remain intact if the coil spring and shock absorber is removed.  The wheel still remains fully attached to the car.

A Macpherson (sp) strut is where the upper control arm is provided by the strut.

Type A: Mazda Miata

Type B: Most Datsun cars.

That's not correct... A coilover literally means that the coil sits over the shock creating a "strut". Technically all MacPherson struts are Coilovers but not all Coilovers are MacPhersons. The Miata suspension you mention is a double wishbone style suspension which without the spring and shock is just as worthless as a MacPherson style suspension. 

Even Wikipedia states that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover 

I do agree this shouldn't be a debate though.

That's not correct... A coilover literally means that the coil sits over the shock creating a "strut". Technically all MacPherson struts are Coilovers but not all Coilovers are MacPhersons. The Miata suspension you mention is a double wishbone style suspension which without the spring and shock is just as worthless as a MacPherson style suspension. 

Even Wikipedia states that http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coilover 

I do agree this shouldn't be a debate though.

A coilover isn't designed to support sideways loads, while a strut is.  A coilover is not a strut. If you remove a mcpherson strut, your wheel will flop aimlessly.  If you remove a coilover from a wishbone suspension, your wheel will still be structurally intact, albeit with the suspension riding on the bump stops.  It will still be able to steer and roll...

Dunno, I like the direction of the coil over and loud pipe conversation.

I will say as a biker, loud pipes do work better than a horn to get someones attention. I do like my super quiet vespa though, don't stand out as much.

Any bike is dangerous though, loud or not. Always assume cars are blind while on a bike IMO.

The good news is with everyday that goes by the old school republicans die off and more liberals are born.  So like my buddy Bill Mahr says all we have to do is wait.  

A coilover isn't designed to support sideways loads, while a strut is.  A coilover is not a strut. If you remove a mcpherson strut, your wheel will flop aimlessly.  If you remove a coilover from a wishbone suspension, your wheel will still be structurally intact, albeit with the suspension riding on the bump stops.  It will still be able to steer and roll...

You got me, sorry. A coilover is not a strut but some struts are coilovers. Admittedly I did use quotations to indicate that it wasn't to be taken completely as truth.

The good news is with everyday that goes by the old school republicans die off and more liberals are born. So like my buddy Bill Mahr says all we have to do is wait.

My issue with bill mahrbis he believes that only HE can own a firearm and everyone else shouldn't be allowed. He owns firearm and carries one frequently.

Anyone who says I can own one but you other law abiding citizen cannot is a god damn moron.

• Like 1

The good news is with everyday that goes by the old school republicans die off and more liberals are born.  So like my buddy Bill Mahr says all we have to do is wait.

Bill Mahr can be funny, but like most celebs he's a pretty huge tool, which doesn't speak too well for those that swallow everything he spews. You think things are getting better...wait til things come to a head and your liberals run out of other peoples' money. We're going from first world to third world pretty quickly.
  • Like 1

My issue with bill mahrbis he believes that only HE can own a firearm and everyone else shouldn't be allowed. He owns firearm and carries one frequently.

Anyone who says I can own one but you other law abiding citizen cannot is a god damn moron.

Do as I say, not as I do. Mantra of the democratic party. Don't get me wrong, the republican party is just as bad in different ways. Tired of them as well. The hypocracy on both sides knows no bounds.