• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KoHeartsGPA

• datzenmike

• Draker

• a.d._510_n_ok

Top Posters In This Topic

Just asking why? because you want the truth or because your against guns and your fishing.

Why ? that statement seems a little off and difficult to believe unless you count law enforcement(police).When have i ever stated im against guns ? and yes i will be fishing but not until later today.

OK so the right to bear arms is insurance against the day they are needed to fight government tyranny but in reality they are used to shoot fellow citizens instead. As your government does not fear the people and the people fear the government this isn''t working somehow. Can I expect an overthrow in the near future?

A lot of my "fellow citizens" SHOULD be shot.

Just Dirty Harry said:"Nothing wrong with people getting shot-as long as the "right" people get shot.

And no-I'm not joking.

• Like 2

Can you give us a link or someone to back this up ? just asking.

First off-NO-you're NOT "just asking",however.........

Gareth Long was asleep with his wife shortly before midnight when he heard a loud bang inside their home. An intruder had gained entry to the Longs' home by using a tree branch to break in through a bedroom window. Long realized there had been a break-in and retrieved his handgun. He discovered the intruder in the hallway outside of their bedroom. Long was forced to fire when his repeated warnings went unheeded. The intruder's wounds proved fatal. Long and his family were not injured. (Dallas Morning News, Cedar Hill, Texas, 12/26/13)

April 1972: Elmer E. Nissen of Tacoma, Wash., got a shotgun when three suspicious strangers rang his doorbell one morning. When they started twisting the knob off his front door with a pipe wrench, Nissen opened the door and held the trio for police. (The News Tribune, Tacoma, Wash.)

The tension between rival teenagers escalated as groups of supporters from both sides began making threats over social media website Facebook. The dispute erupted into an all-out brawl when opposing groups met in person. One boy struck a female several times in the face. When another girl tried to help her, the same male knocked her to the ground and began kicking her. Another male pulled out a BB gun and pointed it at the female victims. A concealed-carry license holder nearby pulled his own firearm after witnessing the assault. He ordered the teens to break it up, which caused the group to flee. No shots were fired. Both males involved were later arrested and charged with multiple counts. One of the females involved was also charged. (Boston Herald, Dorchester, Mass., 1/1/14)

Around 9:30 p.m., a man returning a video to a movie rental kiosk outside of a McDonald's restuarant was confronted by a suspected carjacker. The man returning the video was carrying a concealed firearm at the time of the attack, and drew his gun in self-defense. He fired, killing the suspect. There were no other injuries reported. (Houston Chronicle, Houston, Texas, 9/12/13)

April 1980: Two men, one carrying a crowbar, entered a Norwich, N.Y., motorcycle shop, approached the owner's son, and asked to see an item from a wall display. When owner Loren Frink walked into the room and saw his son being beaten with the crowbar, he drew his pistol and fired. The would-be robbers fled unharmed but soon were arrested. (The Sun-Bulletin, Binghamton, N.Y.)

An armed man entered a Dollar General store one afternoon, waved his gun in the air and threatened to kill everyone in the store. He held a cashier and a customer at gunpoint and ushered them toward a break room area. A customer carrying a concealed handgun then defeated the threat with a single shot. The gunman was struck in the chest and was pronounced dead at the scene. No one else was reportedly injured. (The Selma Times-Journal, Orrville, AL, 1/16/14)

November 1959: Two youths who confessed to six jewelry store burglaries were captured at gunpoint by bartender James O'Brien when they switched targets by breaking into a Coran, N.Y., saloon. O'Brien slept in a room off the bar and grabbed a rifle when the burglars entered. The bartender held one at bay and the fleeing accomplice was captured by police near the getaway car. (Coran, N.Y., New York Daily News)

Billy McCall, 78, was at home when he heard his wife scream. McCall grabbed his .380-cal. handgun and went to his wife's aid. He found that a man had forced his way into their home and seized his wife in a choke hold. The armed intruder fired at McCall striking him in his stomach. McCall returned fire, causing the intruder to flee. The assailant was later dropped off at a local hospital where he died. He had sustained gunshot wounds to his abdomen, leg and chest. McCall is reported to be in stable condition and is expected to survive the gunshot wound he sustained during the home invasion. Mrs. McCall was reportedly uninjured. (Independent Mail, Anderson, S.C., 12/25/13)

Two men kicked in the front door of a home around 12:45 p.m., and were met by an armed homeowner. The men, armed with a handgun, reportedly knew the homeowner's daughter and had been harassing her. When the gun-wielding homeowner caught them inside his home, they fled the scene. Both men, however, were arrested soon thereafter on suspicion of aggravated burglary and aggravated assault. (The Salt Lake Tribune, Salt Lake City, Utah, 5/28/14)

August 1970: Joseph Hueftlein, 80, was in a rear room of his Cincinnati, Ohio, food store when he heard a man ordering his wife to hand over money. Heuftlein grabbed his gun and covered the man until police arrived. (Cincinnati, Ohio, Enquirer)

How many more do you want?

• Like 2

OK so the right to bear arms is insurance against the day they are needed to fight government tyranny but in reality they are used to shoot fellow citizens instead.

That is the furthest thing from the truth, all you HEAR is those examples. For every "shooting" you hear about there are 100 occurances where firearms are used lawfully to protect someone or prevent a crime. They just don't tell you that happens all the time.

Didn't say legally shot or not ... just shot. Saying if they are allowed for defense against tyranny they are being used for other purposes. Maybe kept in a glass windowed box with hammer and sign that says 'In case of tyranny, break glass'

I grew up with American TV and gun violence. I don't own a gun but legal or not if I really felt unsafe and the need to have one legally or not I'd have one hidden away somewhere but I don't. I don't have one and I trust my neighbors don't either and am good with that. Knowing that a neighbor is 'armed' (as in needing it for protection) would be somewhat unsettling to me as I live here too and am subject to the same conditions. Maybe if I watched TV this would be different.

I hear of a very few people I know with pistols but have never actually seen them and nothing has ever been said about 'needing' them for protection, nor do they go on an on about the merits of legal or otherwise ownership, ammo, clips, blah blah blah, but more as a target shooting sort of thing. One hunter I know carry's when hunting for quick access in bear country. Anyway this has been an interesting subject.

As a non armed Canadian looking over the fence it's hard to fathom what it's like in your society. I imagine that it's not outside the realm of possibility that I could be shot for having an argument there by a citizen with a short fuse and who is packing. You just never know. Here that is practically unheard of outside the drug trade.

This leaves jut two other types here. An armed Canadian who fears for his safety but says he owns a pistol for the gun range,.... or an armed Canadian who only target shoots at the gun range. I have no experience with either.

Didn't say legally shot or not ... just shot. Saying if they are allowed for defense against tyranny they are being used for other purposes. Maybe kept in a glass windowed box with hammer and sign that says 'In case of tyranny, break glass'

They are for OFFENSE against tyranny.They are for personal defense which is a birth-right.

ANd how do I carry that box when I'm out with my wife?

This thread sucks, bummervil

If it sucks so much, why are you still here?

All we're doing is expressing our right to free speech. Most of the arguments on both sides have valid points to them save for a few outfield comments. If you don't like the conversation, you are free to not read the thread or have anything to do with it. Your choice.

And mike, the majority of times handguns are drawn in legal self defence, they aren't actually fired as the perp will usually back down. It's not the people who lawfully carry that you should be worried about, but the crims who carry illegally. They're the ones who'll shoot you with no cause.

• Like 1

Oh, and one item I wanted to add. London England, guns are illegal, period. Wasn't until after 9/11 police were even allowed to carry. Did you know you're more than twice as likely to be held up there than in New York City?

http://www.nranews.com/cam

Every show, Cam will read a list of 10 people lawfully protecting themselves with firearms. 95% don't even end in firing the weapon. Stories like these never make the regular news. But it doesn't make them any less true.

How did i know somebody would throw the NRA into this mess.We all have different points of view on this topic.I for one am grateful that a large percentage of the population doesnt see it fit or neccessary to walk the streets with a gun at your side.Were a civilized society,this isnt the wild west or middle east.

Were a civilized society,this isnt the wild west or middle east.

True. We haven't had any rapes, murders, beatings, stabbings, violent robberies, drug feuled attacks, or anything of the sort ever since 1732 when we declared ourselves civilized. Wait, what? What gated utopia are you living in?

How did i know somebody would throw the NRA into this mess.We all have different points of view on this topic.I for one am grateful that a large percentage of the population doesnt see it fit or neccessary to walk the streets with a gun at your side.Were a civilized society,this isnt the wild west or middle east.

You asked for a citation. It's a daily radio show that sites exactly what you were asking for on a daily basis. Not sure why it matters if it's the NRA or the society of monkey faced women. Doesn't make it any less true.

And your view is fine and valid. There just happens to be a lot of people who disagree. Like I said earlier, I prefer to carry a taser over a gun as I feel a non lethal takedown is preferred. But if others feel they would be suited better to carry, and they do it legally (emphasis on legally), I feel they are well within their rights.

True. We haven't had any rapes, murders, beatings, stabbings, violent robberies, drug feuled attacks, or anything of the sort ever since 1732 when we declared ourselves civilized. Wait, what? What gated utopia are you living in?

Well wise guy,where were you with the gun when all of this was happening ? you should have prevented it.You are free to leave the country,surely you could find a better place to live.You have more rights to own guns than any other country in the world.Why cry so hard about it ? 

Well wise guy,where were you with the gun when all of this was happening ? you should have prevented it.You are free to leave the country,surely you could find a better place to live.You have more rights to own guns than any other country in the world.Why cry so hard about it ?

Before we get defensive... It's all about SELF defence. When you take it upon yourself to defend others, it's called vigilantism, which is actually a crime within itself. If you choose not to defend yourself, and something happens to you, you can't blame the other guy that does defend himself.

We all make and live with our own personal choices. We shouldn't be forced to live with everyone else's.

• Like 1

Who is crying?  I don't even own any guns, but mainly because I have other hobbies that I spend my money on and guns aren't high on that list.  However, I strongly believe in the right to own guns, and will always be leery of government trying to limit that right.  Where was I when this was happening?  Same place as the cops (except I wasn't harassing innocent bystanders).