Revival of the Chickenhawk...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going to change the fender arch to accommodate the tread?

We discussed that today in fact. I am of the opinion that we need to lengthen the fender openings a bit, maybe 2-3" longer. I believe Tim is on the fence about this. 

Large bolt on guards?

That would be interesting, but probably not...

62217e9d9893a4442022e4f38ec110b9.jpg

Going to change the fender arch to accommodate the tread?

Large bolt on guards?

The Dodge Omni flares we have on there fit pretty well... in MY opinion.  If we must, we must... but I think we're going to be fine.

• Like 2

The Dodge Omni flares we have on there fit pretty well... in MY opinion.  If we must, we must... but I think we're going to be fine.

Once upon a time you found four Omni fenders or are they available after market?

Once upon a time you found four Omni fenders or are they available after market?

About 7-8 years ago we got lucky and found two Omnis in one junkyard.  :thumbup:

Been looking off and on for aftermarket fenders for awhile since I wanted to do steel flares on my 1200. They are out there, but at roughly $60 plus shipping each, that's $260-280 a set. JY fenders were $20 each. 

With the VW Rabbit flares that some use (similar look to these), you can buy just the flares as a "rust repair" item for around $30-35 each. And shipping is cheaper. 

large-9520592.jpg

• Like 2

Because this project needed another level of wacky, we decided to do a rack and pinion swap. So we picked up a complete 240Z front suspension...

20150813_155700.jpg

Pan looks like it was made for this kooky idea...

20150813_155708.jpg

Speaking of the pan, we had to make some minor modifications. Since this is made for an external pump, which we will not be running, we had to make a change...

20150813_160652.jpg

So out come the cutting tools and...

20150813_160548.jpg

No more pipe...

20150813_161036.jpg

Got a stock pickup tube from the stash...

20150813_161057.jpg

And gave it a test fit with the crank scraper out. Looks promising...

20150813_161109.jpg

We'll need to modify the scraper panel to be able to install the pan with this tube in place, and we are thinking of making the pickup tube screen a little smaller in diameter so the trap doors work more efficiently...

• Like 4

I know!  :frantics:

But Tim says we can't run it that high.  <_<

Some time next week we will figure out just what the best height is when we mock up the front suspension.  :thumbup:

Putting words in my mouth again.  If it has to be this high, so be it.

• Like 2

Took the springs and top hats off the 240Z struts and installed my camber plates, and bolted one strut in...

20150818_170648.jpg

Not too shabby. Definitely need some 1" spacers in the back to even out the track width, but we will withhold judgement on that until we install the crossmember and lower control arm...

20150818_170729.jpg

20150818_170657.jpg

20150818_170711.jpg

It will turn to full lock at this height without hitting the inner structure, but it just clips the fenders on the front and rear edge. Will probably need to trim at least 1/2" off those for clearance in bump...

• Like 3