Revival of the Chickenhawk...

you know what as a adult i can say this statement made me not only throw up a little in my mouth but also burned a image in my head that will make me uhhhh

Glad to be of service!  Hope you can get to sleep tonight... so you can dream of me in a pair of Daisy Dukes!

Muwahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, this is NOT me admitting defeat.  This is also not me saying I am definitely abandoning my design... but I did go back to Smiley's at lunch and bought a pair of 8" rods so I can investigate the possibility of maybe thinking about considering the factory setup.

• Like 3

Ok, I think I might have finally fingered it out.  When I saw a Volkswagen Beetle today it hit me... I have always wanted a Baja Bug!  What I want to build is not necessarily a Rally Car 1200, but a Baja 1200.  

• Like 3

Yes! Do it.

If you are going to be playing in the dirt I would recommend a 3 link with panhard bar for max articulation. Use the stock lower arm mounts and make a 3rd upper parallel bar offset to the right side of the axle.

I took a measurement of articulation with my design and, while not "Rock-Crawleresque," I'm sure it will suffice.  John probably remembers the actual number but I have a bit over 2" in my head.  With the full axle's bump being just another inch or two, and the fact that it is honestly going to be street driven 99.8% of the time therefore mainly for show, I'm confident my setup is going to work.  Hell. worst thing that'll happen is it breaks and I die.  Something's going to kill me someday anyway, might as well be something I love.

• Like 2

We replaced the factory... 13mm? shanked bolt thingies in the front hangers with proper 1/2" bolts and hunkered the hell out of them.  The only side to side movement now is slop in the Heim joints... or perhaps where the rods aren't jam nutted.  Now that I think about it, the lack of jam nutting seems a more likely culprit.  But I digress.  There might be 1/16" inch of side to side play so I will not be running a Panhard bar or Watts link.  I'm having a hard time NOT saying "Nanny nanny boo boo!" to John about this but he promised to not say it to me if we DID need a PB or WL so I'll try to keep my mouth shut.  My typing fingers however...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We had a quick grok of the car after work today.  I've been waffling about whether to go high or low... AKA "Baja" vs "Pavement-Scraper," so we had a bit of a "Come to Jesus" about it.  Unless I want to admit defeat on the modified ladder-bar arrangement, and I'm way too damned stubborn for that to happen, the easiest and quickest route to back-on-the-roadedness is to stay the course with the Baja theme.  

I said all of that so I could say this... we think we might have sussed out the shock situation in the rear.  I just have to modify the axle's shock mount a wee bit and I think we can hit the frame's shock pickup point pretty easily.  John will have pictures once we actually do anything about it I'm sure.  Keep calm and carry one... or two.

• Like 2

Lots of gravel back roads to play on?

To be perfectly honest, it will be more of an affectation than an actual Baja/Rally car.  99.82765% (or thereabouts) of its time will be spent on pavement... and I am secure enough in my... "Whateverness?" to be OK with that.

• Like 3

To be perfectly honest, it will be more of an affectation than an actual Baja/Rally car. 99.82765% (or thereabouts) of its time will be spent on pavement... and I am secure enough in my... "Whateverness?" to be OK with that.

We always called this kind of lift/build mall rated, as opposed to trail rated. I'm glad your whateverness is secure, because regardless of dirt time, this build is sweet.