Bill's Datsun Shop in Clackamas, OR- Horror Stories?

L.KAT

Hello-

I've heard some comments around the forums about Bill's Datsun Shop in Clackamas, OR. I'm curious to know member's experiences with this shop, if and why to avoid, and if there have been any positive experiences among what seem to be largely terrible experiences with the owners/operators. They have a very rare datsun in their lot that I REALLY want to buy, but am hesitant to take the risk - would love to know what everyone thinks. Thanks!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(you'll have to forgive me- I'm new and a novice) Sorry no pics im afraid- but it's a black, rust free, ultra clean, 5 speed 79 king cab. From what I know he has rebuilt the engine- ( I don't think those Z shells are even up for discussion, unfortunately!! shame they just sit there untouched for that long ;P )

He does shit mech work? From my understanding the original Bill passed away, and now a guy by the name of Jock has inherited the business? 

Just trying to get some insight on the situation and why everyone seems to hate this shop.

thank you!!

He overcharges for work. He will charge for work not even done. He will purposefully detune the carb and give you the car back, and then sell you on more crap. I have seen rebuilt motors that still had years of grime under the valve cover. That said if parts are cheap, might as well pick them up.

Im sure he knows how to work on a vehicle, he is just shady.

And since when is a 620 rare at all?

• Like 1

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/43769-bills-datsun-shoppe/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/21369-one-last-suprise-from-bills-datsun/

I think there are 7 or 8 posts about Bill here, I dug them up once and posted them in another about Bill's. Just use the search function. None are good stories about him.

Bill was a good guy , very well educated Datsun guru back in the day.

Jock is a chode / poser. Why do you think he never changed the name of the shop after 30 years?

Shit work, shit morals, poor track record, shady guy.....

I have always been    mystified that he hasn't gone under after all of these years. Must be doing something right.....

• Like 1

(you'll have to forgive me- I'm new and a novice) Sorry no pics im afraid- but it's a black, rust free, ultra clean, 5 speed 79 king cab.

And since when is a 620 rare at all?

If it is factory black with clean paint I would say it's rare. If has been painted black, then not so much. 

• Like 1

LOL...danfiveten, dude, your "feeling" is entirely wrong...I am def not the owner nor do I have any affiliation whatsoever with the shop. Just an honest question!!!- I don't see how that's shady at all...just wanted some information before potentially working with the shop.  and yes I realize that a 620 is not "rare" per say, but the rust free condition it's in as a 5 speed 79 at a reasonable price is, as I've been searching for this vehicle for years with no luck. 

I tired a site search but couldn't find much- i'll try re-calibrating with different options to try and dig up some old threads.

Thank you for your replies! Much appreciated, and good to know.

If it is factory black with clean paint I would say it's rare. If has been painted black, then not so much. 

pretty sure it's factory-

super clean for age, some oxidation, garage kept, no rust.

As stated, I'm a novice, and I didn't mean that the car itself (a 620) is super rare, just that the combo of orig condition, make, model, engine, excellent interior/body, price, etc. are.

Like I said I've been searching diligently & regionally for years and haven't found something so close to matching my ideal datsun truck, but am wondering if it's worth the risk of working with this shop. thanks.

I have been to his shop twice in the last 10 years maybe, last time it was to look at a 210 header, both times I walked out of the place without buying anything thinking WTF, the second time was enough for me, I am not going back there.

But I have to say that I am sure that some people that have met me walked away thinking WTF also, so keep that in mind when reading what I have to say. rofl-smiley-gif-800.gif

• Like 2

I had a tune up, new H20 pump, valve adjust, carb rebuild done there. I was in a rush and didn't have a 2nd option.

I now have 1 broken bolt at my water pump, my hitachi carb has a regular problem with the top half coming loose, they rerouted the very sparse emissions stuff to make things "run better" and it did for about 1000 miles. I think they got the valves right.

The work was very expensive and I've redone all the "tuning" they did to get things working right.

I can't recommend them for work. They had a red 620 at the time I was there. It was in OK condition and they were asking $4500. That makes me think they are asking max $$ for vehicles they sell.

• Like 1

I can only hope a 5 speed rust free 78/79 620 KC will pop up in the NW in the mean time!!!! I have not had any luck other than finding this one....Please feel free to point me in the direction of any leads :) I regularly check Sea/Tac, PDX, Nor Cal craigslist and ebay.

He mentioned that he rebuilt the engine- which makes me SUPER weary hearing all of your testimonies- although he did say that work is guaranteed for a year. (not that that makes me all that more confident)

I'm looking to pass my 76 KC Deluxe on to a family member after I finish up the interior and get a little more body work done. (too many toys)

Been wanting a 5 speed KC 78 or (preferably) 79 as a new project. :)

Thank you for all your input!

Ugh, Bills Datsun Shop. I've had a couple guys ask about going there. I've always advised against it. One of them decided to go anyway, and found out just why I had said to avoid it. 250 bucks later and his z still ran like shit. I didn't have time to mess with it. Turns out it was just dirty injectors.

• Like 1

Shit work, shit morals, poor track record, shady guy.....

I have always been    mystified that he hasn't gone under after all of these years. Must be doing something right.....

simple he preys on datsun noobs and gives them the shaft untill they learn the truth about these cars and learn to turn a wrench themselves 

• Like 1

I have taken almost every vehicle to Bill's Datsun Shoppe, for one reason or another.  Sensor behind my dash and a fuel sensor that was stumping me, (on a 99' V-10 dodge ram) and several nissan/Datsun  rigs. He charges a fair price for above average work.  My opinion- Might not be a good idea to except a lifetime warranty, gotten up there. But truly like one of his criticizer's said he has been in business for a long time.  37 years I think. And as far as changing the name goes, I would keep the old name too.   

• Like 1