One last suprise from Bill's Datsun

Spades

Well, for those of you that didn't know, I bought a supposedly fully rebuilt NAPS Z20S engine from Bill's Datsun in Clackamas Oregon. Turns out the only thing that was done was a piston re-ring, cheap-o Chinese timing chain kit and a shaved head with new valve springs.

The kicker was, I have had to purchase many new parts just to get it to run (exhaust manifold,fuel pump,carb,distributor,full tune up,alternator,oil pump, and dozens of small parts), and I still couldn't get the timing dialed in. I found out the numb nut had the crank sprocket two teeth off and it had worn parts down badly because of this error.

But, I had one last suprise left after spending hundreds of dollars and countless hours on this engine...turns out, even though he had the head shaved...he either didn't put new valve guide seals in, or the valve guides themselves are toast.

Even though the engine has high compression from the re-ring and the shaved head, and I did a full leak down test(it passed), I am pretty sure the valve guides are leaking. Now after it has been sitting, or I let it idle for a minute, I am getting blue smoke out my tail pipes. No smoke on hard accell(unless it has been idling), or anything that leads me to believe it is piston rings(although he did NOT hone the cylinder walls at the time of the so called rebuild, I used a boroscope and found the cylinder walls are pitted), I think it is valve seals from the symptoms.

So the douche left one last surprise for me...after paying over a grand for this supposedly new engine donor car, and hundreds of my own cash to fix it right, it looks like I have one last thing waiting for me. Thank you Jock (the owner) at Bill's Datsun...

Does anyone know how difficult valveguide seals are on a naps z motor? Where is the best place to get a cylinder head if the valve guides themselves are toast? I am guessing I would have to buy a 8 plug distributor and get a Z24 head, cause good luck finding a Z20S 4 spark plug head...

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking a head down to the local machine shop to have new valve guides installed should be a $40 to $80 job on a NAPZ head. Provided you remove the cam towers/valves before hand.

Taking a head down to the local machine shop to have new valve guides installed should be a $40 to $80 job on a NAPZ head. Provided you remove the cam towers/valves before hand.

ok, thats good news, I wasn't sure if the valve guides could be replaced if they were worn on this naps z head...to be honest, the last time I had the valve cover off, I was so busy being awe-struck by the chain being off two teeth and looking at the damage done to the guides, tensioner, and sprockets, I didn't even bother to look at the valve train.

Before I had pulled the timing cover off, I had done a compression test, and since the numbers were higher than they should be stock, and I saw the valve springs looked new, I figured he had at least been honest about having the head re-done.

I will take everything apart sometime this week or next weekend, and hopefully it will be as simple just getting some new seals and dropping them in...I really don't want to have to pull the head.

I hate that guy. He is way way way to expensive. I got a oil pickup tube from him once for a front sump pan and i think I spent 15 on it. I asked prices for other stuff and he was way over the top. Any motor work he does is way overpriced. I called him once a week for about a year asking for parts and telling him I would be in the next day and never showed. It turns out he is on vacation at least half of the year.