So, I bought this goon ..........

Did the rear inner weatherstripping on the hatch and had this problem.

UUn6GnE.jpg

Thought up some Wyle Coyote shite.

s0Js4GQ.jpg

We'll see how that works out in a week or so.

Put in the rear seat just for the hell of it. Still needs some (ok, A LOT) of help.

YUWDVTm.jpg

Iqz1czy.jpg

Getting ready for the headliner install as well as the windshield so I took some steel wool to the mouldings.

pELMgpY.jpg

Put the mouldings in the rubber. When Missus Kelmo has some free time, we will attempt to put the glass in the weatherstrip.

9HROkLx.jpg

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting ready for the headliner and I am trying to figure out the cargo lamp and tail lamp harness stuff and have some extra leads that do not make sense right now.

m6mwmoA.jpg

This almost looks like it should work but, the harness on the right has a 3rd lead that goes nowhere. That harness goes to the hatch and the license lamps.

HLNtrVF.jpg

Then there is this 2 lead harness that goes nowhere. It was not really connected to anything but has a body grommet like it came through somewhere but I cannot find where. The other end has no 2 pin connector just 2 small spade connectors that are smaller than what is on the other end.

Anyone got an idea?

Hard to tell from the photo,and my memory isn't what it used to be.  Do you have the cover for the hatch tortion springs? There is a light that goes in that cover.  There is also the courtesy light, but I can remember if one of those roof lights feeds the other.  I do recall that there is a feed to the contact switch on the hatch hinges for the rear light.

I believe all of the outside lights on the hatch get 12v coming from the rear harness that feeds from underneath the car...

Not much help, but it's all I have..

So, there is a harness from the front dome lamp that wrings out to the rear cargo lamp. I have located the tail lamp/ marker harness that comes from underneath. I do have the cover that goes over the bars (well, what is left of it) and there is only a provision for the cargo lamp in the middle of the cover.

Now that you mention it, I do recall seeing the light switch in the upper right hand corner of the hatch. I will have to investigate and see if it is connected to anything. If memory serves, those type of switches were just a single lead and the body of the switch acted as ground (?).

I could be wrong, it happens alot.

"Not much help, but it's all I have.."

Some help is better than no help.😁

So, there is wire running to the switch. It runs back to the cargo lamp. This will still be exposed once the headliner is installed.

Speaking of the headliner...

Got the insulation/jute/whatever that stuff is installed.

pqCNala.jpg

Letting the thing air out a bit. Had the big door open, a big ass fan blowing, and the back door open. The adhesive was quite vaporous to say the least.

CnbdCtV.jpg

Then this morning, the Missus and I went about an attempt to install the headliner.

X44iBVz.jpg

5AHffWh.jpg

Ta06fW4.jpg

We had some issues like the front bow did not want to "pop" into the up position and at the very rear there is a thin strip of wood that goes through a pocket in the liner and that, in turn, goes into a slot on the roof. That part ended up half in and half out. It vexed us a wee bit so the decision was made to walk away and wait for the brown bottle flu to pass. It was a little difficult to get a pic, but here it is.

NU21YBx.jpg

• Like 3
On 7/16/2022 at 8:45 AM, KELMO said:

I do recall seeing the light switch in the upper right hand corner of the hatch. I will have to investigate and see if it is connected to anything. If memory serves, those type of switches were just a single lead and the body of the switch acted as ground   .😁

The switch is actually on the hatch hinge itself.  it's similar to the contact switch in the front doors for the courtesy light.  I believe you're right about the ground..

• Like 1

Got the weatherstrip on the glass with mouldings installed. Not too pleased with the fit but I think once installed the fitment will true up a bit.

I hope.

1GrydSB.jpg

• Like 4
11 hours ago, thisismatt said:

Don't you want to put the trim in after it's installed?

8 hours ago, iceman510 said:

There was a discussion recently on the old Bluebirds list- some prefer trim in, some out when installing on a 510.  No definitive answer was the gist of it.

This being my first 510 I am just using 1200 experience along with others I have talked to along the lines of "no, you don't want to install the trim after you install the windshield".

In other words, I'm figuring it out as I go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 7/18/2022 at 5:24 PM, thisismatt said:

Don't you want to put the trim in after it's installed?

NO, you really need to have the trim on first.  I tried it both ways, and trim also helps the rubber lay out better as well..

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, DARIN 510 said:

Where did you get the seal from? Curious what brand 

All of the rubbers on the car came from Datsport. I have not checked to see if they are still doing business since Baz passed away earlier this year. I think Tanker used them on his wagon as well

Now, the not too pleased bit shouldn't be taken as a bash on the product but more of a statement of my non skills.

Another issue/thing I am not sure what to do about.

There are 2 "dogleg" cuts that appear to go back to the "D" pillar and my thought was to cut them even with the rear. The Missus says I'll regret that.

I do have the trim panel that covers the torsion bars for the hatch, but it is sketchy at best.

the question I have is should I cut it, or keep it?

8e0vbsk.jpg

Edited by KELMO

Had not thought about that (but I think Missus Kelmo did). There is extra fabric for covering the "A" & "B" pillars, and possibly the sun visors.

I will have to do a test fit and see what it covers.

On 7/20/2022 at 4:26 AM, KELMO said:

All of the rubbers on the car came from Datsport. I have not checked to see if they are still doing business since Baz passed away earlier this year. I think Tanker used them on his wagon as well

Now, the not too pleased bit shouldn't be taken as a bash on the product but more of a statement of my non skills.

Oh ok. I used a set from Vintage Rubber. Over all it is pretty nice they are made in America, quality is pretty good a little loose in the corners. But no cracks and on my car for years constantly baking in the sun

I think I have heard of them but have not used any of their products. There is a 510 4DR project out there so maybe this time around.

Back to the headliner stuff.

tIldHlt.jpg

So, the trim panel does go side to side and there is also a flat spot at the front that goes in the same "slot" that the thin wood strip goes in to help hold the headliner in. So, I'll need to figure out what to do there.

• Like 2

Got this seal on the glass. The fitment is a bit loose, but I did these several years ago on a friends goon and it worked out well.

6vaQNjo.jpg

I am hoping to make some headliner progress today.

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, fivetenguy said:

Kelmo, you got those from Datsport, right?

That is correct.

When we installed the seal on the glass it was not a snug fit. Once the glass was installed everything pulled together. My thought was to install the front corners first and work toward the curved edges on the back. That did not work out the way I saw it in my head.

Forgot to mention that Missus Kelmo did all the hard work on the installation.

• Like 2