So, I bought this goon ..........

5 hours ago, KELMO said:

There was what looked like an AC drain tube in this hole. Possibly made from a large caliber weapon from inside the cabin of the car.

2Tj6lZT.jpg

More gooder now.

The guys who did the AC installs at the dealership sometimes got "crafty" to make those drain line holes. Sadly, this was very common. 

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, thisismatt said:

That entire spot welded on keystone shaped panel is the cowl drain. It wraps around a bit to the underside.

After I took off the upper cowl part, I was able to somewhat see it on the firewall side.

I'll take a look next time up on stands at the underside.

17 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

The guys who did the AC installs at the dealership sometimes got "crafty" to make those drain line holes. Sadly, this was very common. 

Bro, there was no "craft" involved in that part of the install.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Also pulled the hubs off.

6nELWPw.jpg

280ZX

ynPPAxb.jpg

Something I found interesting was that the nut on both spindles was only finger tight. That does not seem to be correct to me.

If it is, I may need to relook at the 1200's. It has been a while since I have done any work like this, and it seems the process was torque to X lbs and back off a 1/4 turn maybe.

Could be it is time to go read some books.

Yes, I said it, I have books.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This seems to be universal for most Datsun hubs. The 510, 1200 and very early 610s use different smaller outer wheel bearings that might be different. This is based on the later.

Tighten nut 18-22 ft lbs. Spin several turns in both directions to seat, check or re-torque 18-22 ft lbs. Loosen nut 60 degrees, (1/3 of a half turn) Install the adjusting cap so that cotter pin can be installed. (use a spring scale on one of the lugs to measure starting torque to turn spindle.... new parts 118 in oz. old parts 3.3 pounds or less. I've never done this as long as the hub turns freely and smoothly)

On 12/5/2022 at 7:46 AM, datzenmike said:

L series... Note that the center line rib is closest to the left side mounting bolt

LEFT is for L series

Well. I finally pulled the transmissions out from hiding. From DM's statement and pic, it appears I have the proper 5 speed for an L motor.

mHRJq19.jpg

The dirty one is the 4 speed for an L series.

EVDLe2e.jpg

Had to dig out 4 to get to the 5 speed. And there is still another 4 speed back there.

XFa3XgU.jpg

• Like 2

From the bottom of the strut to the top of the "casing":

280ZX 16 1/2" (+/-)

510 18 1/4" (+/-)

fYPrxai.jpg

It also seems there is a collar on the 510 spindle whereas on the 280ZX spindle it appears to be part of the casting. IIRC, the 620 or 720 front spindle had a collar as well and it always came off with the hub/bearings. People would always tell us we got them the wrong parts until we pointed out what the set up was.

Is that a 60 series 5 speed? I need one for a project.

I'm actually going to run Datsun power in my '65 Sprite. The built 1275 motor in there now is getting pulled to use as a mule motor for my dad's race car, and a friend gave me a "built" A14, so I guess I'll give it a shot. Kinda goes against my grain, but what the hell.

XFa3XgU.jpg

Front to back

L series 71B 5 speed, '79 or older.

63 series 4 speed for L series engine, '68-'79. The rest are too far away to be certain.

Next two look rather thin so 56 series (they has the ribs) 4 or 5 speed really can't tell from here. Clutch arm would be above the starter bulge.

Last one looks like a 63a dogleg. They were smooth case.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Is that a 60 series 5 speed? I need one for a project.

13 hours ago, datzenmike said:

Last one looks like a 63a dogleg. They were smooth case.

Yes, it is a 60 series transmission for an "A" motor.

No, it is a 4 speed that I did not inspect close enough before I brought it home.

• Like 2

No, it will not match. We are doing something completely different. Well, unless we completely hate what we did different.

Yes, it has seen the sun. When I brought it home from your place, when I moved out of ABQ, when I moved into this place. I have even washed it like twice, I think. 

So there ppppfffftt.🤪

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, KELMO said:

Appreciate the paint code, but...

Some people are gonna hate me for that, but I don't care.

Well, the firewall was already black anyway...  😁

I like it, but would probably also suggest just finishing it off and making the whole thing black? Or maybe just the front half of the wheel wells so it's blue on top, black on bottom?