So, I bought this goon ..........

There are 2 very tiny O-rings that go on the housing to keep the adjustment sleeve stable.

Zb6fdfO.jpg

Some bench assembly.

BBvyVCP.jpg

The upper washer fits nicely into the T3 upper hat.

aFXll4b.jpg

Somebody scream if this looks incorrect.

TzXHEVd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hit submit too soon.

lDaMCuf.jpg

Assembled and ready to install, or so it would seem. Once we had it hung in place, we realized that those tiny O-rings had slipped when installing the adjustment sleeve. We thought it would be a good idea to use some lithium grease to aid in the installation of the sleeve but the O-rings just slid down to the bottom where the perch is welded on. We took apart the other assembled strut and broke an O-ring in the process. Today I will be out hunting O-rings.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, KELMO said:

Once we had it hung in place, we realized that those tiny O-rings had slipped when installing the adjustment sleeve. We thought it would be a good idea to use some lithium grease to aid in the installation of the sleeve but the O-rings just slid down to the bottom where the perch is welded on. We took apart the other assembled strut and broke an O-ring in the process. Today I will be out hunting O-rings.

Why not just wrap the tube in something like electrical tape? Those are really just in there to prevent it from rattling. Electrical tape would do the same. 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:55 AM, datsunfreak said:

Also, not washers. Ever.

Use a piece of thick wall pipe that the OD of it is close to the ID of the tube. 👍

Why? does this matter? I'm curious if this is just a preferred thing or there's a good reason. I've always said a stack of washers or quarters to suit. When I pulled the inserts out of my zx struts there was something in the bottom but it felt like plastic or wood.  should have saved it. It didn't seem to be metallic. Maybe aluminum?

Zb6fdfO.jpg

The bottom of the tube isn't going to move once the weight comes down on it. Top might. Can you install and push the top O ring into the gap?

I has issues with those stupid o-rings years ago too.  I can't recall what I ended up using, but it might have been some thin strips of HDPE.  I was making my own coilovers from some KYB AGX shocks and needed something else because I think the o rings that came with the sleeves were too thick or something.  Those you have look really thin, and I'm not too surprised one failed.

On 2/13/2023 at 8:05 AM, datzenmike said:

Why? does this matter? I'm curious if this is just a preferred thing or there's a good reason. I've always said a stack of washers or quarters to suit.

Because this. 👍

On 2/13/2023 at 10:19 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Using washers could put a lot of pressure on the raised center of the bottom of the insert. The worry here is that it may weaken the bottom and cause it to crack. Even pressure on the outer sides of the strut insert would distribute the load.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just cuz it looks cool.

3BzxE8a.jpg

My cousin took a valve cover home and spent some quality time with it. Should have taken a before pic.

gCgluoR.jpg

Getting the paint off of the block. Using Aircraft paint remover.

hCI0odC.jpg

i50ihbp.jpg

fZlOsdc.jpg

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Everything looks great. I really hate removing paint from an engine. It's so time consuming and it never comes out perfect.

The lower control arms, are they height adjustable? I mean can you stuff the steering arm all the way down to touch the balljoint?

Thanks.

That particular remover is pretty stout. Even with the 50' wide door open and being almost outside, using a mask, safety glasses, and rubber gloves I couldn't stand more than about 10 minutes applying it.

No, only inboard and outboard. From the illustrations I have seen, this is the way it should mount.

And, as DM said, this car has not been on the ground yet and I expect some settling once it is on the ground.

4 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

A flatter control arm reduces bump steer. Now that I think about it, at a low ride height, you need a spacer under the strut to correct the control arm angle.

The great thing about the T3 struts is that you can simply rearrange the spacers that come with the kit, to adjust for bump steer. You don't have to buy a separate part.

• Like 1

When I lowered my 710 I had a hard time but crawled under and held a level and estimated how much spacer I needed to lower the steering cross rod to level. Looked about 1/2"

ERZPjuB.jpg

Some 1/4" aluminum and I made 6 just in case, 4 worked perfect, bump steer gone! Boucht grade 8 1/2" longer bolts.

ULBN6wC.jpg

• Like 1

Again, cuz it looks cool.

QT4mKPM.jpg

Cleaned this up a little. A pic of it cleaned up would have been nice but...

TCfA9nK.jpg

YqRWMv9.jpg

On the ground. Not as low as I expected but, no motor yet so..

eD9Yzxr.jpg

qkP2jfN.jpg

And just so DM feels better, the tie rods are much more horizontal than before.

SAqPXCB.jpg

And, the Oh my Holy God stuff I am using to remove paint from the block.

3MyxrxI.jpg

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, KELMO said:

3MyxrxI.jpg

Tetrahydrofuran can cause headache, nausea and dizziness. Very high exposure can cause unconsciousness and death. * Tetrahydrofuran may damage the liver and kidneys. * Tetrahydrofuran is a FLAMMABLE LIQUID and a DANGEROUS FIRE HAZARD.

borat-borat-very-nice.gif.922f01bb311e703d7454896ab7e2cfee.gif

Not sure if it's as good as the previous version with the now banned methylene chloride...the sequels are rarely as good as the originals 😛 

• Like 1

Stuff what happened today.

No, I did not take a pic of the block before we primed it, but is was clean...trust me.

N1lgfsN.jpg

NxjMqhj.jpg

Then we put come cool shit on it that my cousin cleaned up.

LNWQDMX.jpg

nitXy1K.jpg

• Like 5