So, I bought this goon ..........

18 minutes ago, KELMO said:

There was a flange on the tube that matched the hole in the wheel well as well as a metal mounting plate, so I assumed it to be original.

Then that is the Subaru flange/downpipe. 👍

510 wagons do not come with gas doors, they just have an exposed cap on the outside of the car.

datsun-510-wtb-datsun-510-wagon-classic-

We grafted in a remote opening fuel door from a Subaru GL10 wagon. 

Sub2.JPG

Still surprised when I see guys do a nice paint job on a wagon and then keep that exposed fill cap. I think we were maybe the the first to do this modification, but I've only ever seen one guy copy it...

low-13.jpg

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, datsunfreak said:

510 wagons do not come with gas doors, they just have an exposed cap on the outside of the car.

Come on Bro, you know I knew that.🤣

When I go to make this permanent, I will try and get some pics of the whole kit and kaboodle.

On 6/15/2023 at 5:40 AM, datsunfreak said:

Then that is the Subaru flange/downpipe. 👍

datsun-510-wtb-datsun-510-wagon-classic-

We grafted in a remote opening fuel door from a Subaru GL10 wagon. 

Sub2.JPG

Still surprised when I see guys do a nice paint job on a wagon and then keep that exposed fill cap. I think we were maybe the the first to do this modification, but I've only ever seen one guy copy it...

low-13.jpg

Mark has done it before you guys on the only RHD wagon probably in North America. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

Mark has done it before you guys on the only RHD wagon probably in North America. 

John actually showed me photos of his before I did it.  I was thinking about it. and maybe I mentioned it in my old build thread.  It really IS a good idea, but to get the interior panel over the rear quarter, that filler tube has to make a very short 90 degree turn, which is what causes the problems.  I also suspect the damn California smog condoms on the gas pumps contribute a lot to the problem, as well..

I ended up putting another filler neck into the tank that was accessed through the cargo floor.  It was worked perfect, but required quite a bit of surgery on the tank.  It's not a mod for the timid 🙂

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
On 6/18/2023 at 5:17 PM, Duncan said:

John actually showed me photos of his before I did it. 

Thank you for defending my honor.  😁

On 6/18/2023 at 5:17 PM, Duncan said:

filler tube has to make a very short 90 degree turn, which is what causes the problems.  I also suspect the damn California smog condoms on the gas pumps contribute a lot to the problem

Those fill neck condoms are the real enemy here. I purposely sought out gas stations that don't have them here. Those things make filling just about any Datsun a pain in the ass. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Those fill neck condoms are the real enemy here.

We don't have those here.

But now that I said that, they will probably start showing up next week.

• Like 2
On 6/21/2023 at 8:39 AM, KELMO said:

We don't have those here.

But now that I said that, they will probably start showing up next week.

Funny thing is, we got them here years ago, right after Cali starting doing it, then within 1-2 years most of them had disappeared. I always wondered if people were ripping them off...  😄

It has been uncommon to see them here now, and when you do they are usually the short ones that aren't as evil.

ICVN-BK.jpg

I lived in DFW from '92 to '03. I don't remember if those were around then or not. But, then again, I had no Datsuns at the time.

Pulled the drain plug out of the transmission. Not too bad, just some shavings and no large bits.

07DOWtS.jpg

Put the release bearing and clutch fork on. Having done that, I prefer doing this on an "A" motor and trans set up, it is way easier IMHO.

GrAni7q.jpg

Also replaced the rear seal on the trans, found the drive shaft, (I think) and realized that I only have one of the two switches for the transmission (32005-K102A), so I'll be needing the one that starts "32006". Even when I was doing Nissan parts on a daily basis I always mixed up the reverse and neutral part #'s on those switches.

At this point, I should be ready to put the transmission in as long as my get up and go doesn't get up and go.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, the motor is back out. Tried to install the flywheel from under the car with no success. Now, I'm not a beefy guy like Tanker so after about 6 tries, I decided enough.

s7Tgp7r.jpg

Flywheel installed on the second try. Clutch installed as well. No pics taken.

And since it is out, may as well do some other stuff.

Tapping out the alternator bracket. 1.5X 10mm

iNLKMre.jpg

I have taken the fuel tank back out  to see if I can get the filler situation squared away.

9Qg8v4U.jpg

That top metal part is going to be a problem to cover with an interior panel but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. (if I get there).

YtiIdu5.jpg

Edited by KELMO
  • Like 2

Permatex Motoseal Gasket Maker (fuel resistant) # 29132.

Using what we have on hand since right now I am time rich and money poor. Once I am the other way around, there is a company in Albuquerque (about 30 miles west of me) that has the ability to manufacture hoses so this contraption may be taken to them at some point.

• Like 1