So, I bought this goon ..........

According to the packaging on this part, I bought it in January......of 2009.

GWZMOqP.jpg

The alternator brackets. The blue one is L16, and the black one is L18. Very similar but not quite the same. Neither bracket is threaded in the hole where the alternator ears mount. I found that odd compared to "A" motors.

O0ASWF9.jpg

Mocked up some more parts.

UoL7PNd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, KELMO said:

Neither bracket is threaded in the hole where the alternator ears mount. I found that odd compared to "A" motors.

O0ASWF9.jpg

Seems like they should be, unless drilled through already.

Edited by iceman510
  • Like 1
On 3/20/2023 at 10:19 AM, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

I used to drill out the holes and use one long head bolts with a nut to secure the alternator to the bracket. So if yours don't have threads, that's probably what happened.

Quit drilling out my brackets bro.🤪

So, I think the Fuel sending unit is toast. The contact that moves over the wrapped wire as the float moves up and down snagged one of the wires and pulled it loose. I suppose I could just make sure I keep the tank half full (or half empty if you ask Missus Kelmo).

5vKBoil.jpg

This is the water bypass pipe that runs from the water outlet on the passenger side of the block to the intake manifold. I have no idea where this little "Y" connector goes. I took this pipe off of an L16. Guess I will sit down with the FSM and see if it learns me anything.

zsBoN0F.jpg

12 minutes ago, KELMO said:

This is the water bypass pipe that runs from the water outlet on the passenger side of the block to the intake manifold. I have no idea where this little "Y" connector goes. I took this pipe off of an L16. Guess I will sit down with the FSM and see if it learns me anything.

As I recall, on an L16, it goes to a port in the intake, here:

image.thumb.jpeg.252405c4fac865b6485b083b8ad968aa.jpeg

DF; that is at the other end of the pipe. I should have taken the pic from further back, but then you would not be able to see that little "Y" part.

I think the baggins might have it figured out.

I seem to remember one of the T/stat housings having a small connector coming out of it. Funny how the memory gets jogged.

I also have several different lower housings with different amounts of holes.

Get up yesterday to go run some errands and find this.

CdVbRUy.jpg

No problem, I now have an excuse to drive the 411.

BrepE0x.jpg

Nope, not right now I don't.

Ok, lets read up on the cooling system in the FSM.

rX7y05x.jpg

Cooling system, right in between EL section and EF section.

PCMFhXQ.jpg

Oh, this is special. I should not have 2 pages marked EM 6.

p26q89i.jpg

Quite a few pages of misprint.

2JWWPlY.jpg

I bought the FSM like late 80's or early 90's and have not had the need to use the cooling section until now. Missus Kelmo tells me that book must be worth a fortune being a misprint. My response; No babe, its useless because it doesn't have the information I need in it.

I started drinking fairly early yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, I've seen that before. I once found a description of a trunk mat for a Z that said "fuck mat". I can't remember now if it was in the price book (yes, I said book) or in the catalog (microfiche or digital). There were some others that were interesting as well but that one I'll never forget.

I said all that to say this; missing like 20 pages, oh for Pete's sake.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, datsunfreak said:

Think maybe it's in the Haynes? 

More likely than not. I also think that it may be in almost all of the other 1973 1600 FSM's out there, just not mine.

I am fairly certain I have another 510/1600 manual that is not a factory publication.

I'll probably regret this but I did it anyway. Used high temp engine paint.

TngnGPo.jpg

I realize the intake should be bolts but the studs looked cool.

2eKJooX.jpg

As near as I can figure this looks like the right set up for a Weber.

QpLlHuE.jpg

We were just going to mock it up in the bay but we had to futz with it a bit, so its in there.

mMj7S4u.jpg

We did figure out that the easiest way to install is with the brackets attached to the block and the mounts attached to the brackets seemed to be the best way.

5Rs04bV.jpg

• Like 2
On 3/27/2023 at 12:17 PM, KELMO said:

Oh, I've seen that before. I once found a description of a trunk mat for a Z that said "fuck mat".

Could be urban legend, but people in the music business refer to a piano manufacturer (unknown to me)  that had a manual for assembling the piano bench.  It said something like "turn bench on it's face, and fuck the legs in".

Don't know how true that is, but I always get a chuckle out of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If the manifold paint goes south, check out a product called CALX.

Datsunfreak turned me onto it when I was doing my wagon.  It's a graphite paste that looks great, goes on with a brush, holds up well, and it's really inexpensive. 

Edit:  It was sold by Eastwood, but I think it's gone.  Other than an old video from Eastwood, it looks like it may be NLA.  Found a few other graphite products that appear to do the same, though.  Hopefully, the paint works.

Edited by Duncan
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Duncan said:

Could be urban legend, but people in the music business refer to a piano manufacturer (unknown to me)  that had a manual for assembling the piano bench.  It said something like "turn bench on it's face, and fuck the legs in".

Don't know how true that is, but I always get a chuckle out of it.

Maybe the original word was 'mate' the legs. Just poor translation.  

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Duncan said:

If the manifold paint goes south, check out a product called CALX.

Datsunfreak turned me onto it when I was doing my wagon.  It's a graphite paste that looks great, goes on with a brush, holds up well, and it's really inexpensive. 

Edit:  It was sold by Eastwood, but I think it's gone.  Other than an old video from Eastwood, it looks like it may be NLA.  Found a few other graphite products that appear to do the same, though.  Hopefully, the paint works.

Calyx? You mean this stuff? - https://www.eastwood.com/calyx-manifold-coating-3-oz.html

I've used anti-seize to coat exhaust manifolds before, but when it burned on, everyone in a five mile radius died.

Edited by Stoffregen Motorsports
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

Calyx? You mean this stuff? - https://www.eastwood.com/calyx-manifold-coating-3-oz.html

I've used anti-seize to coat exhaust manifolds before, but when it burned on, everyone in a five mile radius died.

That's the stuff, and no, it didn't have any (that I remember) smell after start up.  Funny, I did a Google search and couldn't turn anything up yesterday.  Today, it's all over the place including ebay...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1