So, I bought this goon ..........

Nope, I didn't do it. It had this diff when I got it from you.

Or, someone has been sneaking into the shop when I'm not around.

And yes, it has rear discs.

Edited by KELMO
  • Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rear door glass and 1/4 glass out. Now, where is that glass run that I had...

A05V0lO.jpg

This was a bit of a PITA. Had to get the glass off of the regulator before removing the support for the 1/4 glass. Then get the 1/4 glass out and the pull out the door glass.

I make these notes not for you but for when my dumb ass tries to put this mess back together.

• Like 2

OK, Left side done.

Get the 1/4 guide in the door first. Be sure to install the new glass run prior to installation.

Put the door glass in the door. Do not attach it to the regulator (that headache comes later.

Apply vaseline to the top part of the 1/4 glass rubber.

Tilt the top of the glass toward the front of the car until you can get it generally in the frame. Try to keep it lined up the way it will sit in the channel. Push it back as far as it will go. With about a half inch to go I put the support some what in place and then used a block of  wood and a rubber mallet to tap it the rest of the way in. 

Getting the glass on the window regulator was a bit of a bitch kitty. I would tell you how I did it but after some shake, rattle and roll (several choice words) it just happened. The glass was tilted toward the back of the car and a lot of up and down and wiggle.

So, in the midst of all of this Goon and 1200 stuff...I am storing a 411 SSS sedan for a friend of mine who said "sure, take it out and drive it from time to time".

Oh my holy God.

MnOK4VT.jpg

This little beauty is a treat. Has a 2 Liter motor with dual side drafts. 5spd trans, suspension upgrade and I don't even know what. I believe all of the upgrade stuff was done by Race Neely from this site. I am totally in love with this thing. The problem? Neither the owner or myself has a clue as to what it is worth. He needs to sell a car, I want to buy this one.

Anybody want to chime in? More pics can be provided. This is an original survivor, The decal for the dealer on the rear is from a dealer that is still in business. The interior is pretty decent, clock shows 55K. Could be the second time around.

jfv8A85.jpg

• Like 3
3 hours ago, KELMO said:

So, in the midst of all of this Goon and 1200 stuff...I am storing a 411 SSS sedan for a friend of mine who said "sure, take it out and drive it from time to time".

Oh my holy God.

This little beauty is a treat. Has a 2 Liter motor with dual side drafts. 5spd trans, suspension upgrade and I don't even know what. I believe all of the upgrade stuff was done by Race Neely from this site. I am totally in love with this thing. The problem? Neither the owner or myself has a clue as to what it is worth. He needs to sell a car, I want to buy this one.

Anybody want to chime in? More pics can be provided. This is an original survivor, The decal for the dealer on the rear is from a dealer that is still in business. The interior is pretty decent, clock shows 55K. Could be the second time around.

Ask @bananahamuck 

the car looks awesome!

Edited by Draker
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, KELMO said:

Close but not quite.

There, that's better.

Pretty happy with the result.

Door rubber stoppers too.

Datsport Rubbers.

those look great! Mine should be here this week.

• Like 1

@KELMO
I would say even though all the fancy upgrades it’s probably only worth maybe $3000.-$3500 resale Cuz it’s such a niche market.. The one I traded for had/has all those Upgrades and the guy had it for sale about year and a half at $4200. Paint isn’t that great on it ..  I traded a 1200 and couple 5speeds and Other B210 stuff.. so he “kinda” got his price but it was about $800. In collected parts in real life

A 2door RHD was sold just a few months ago and I believe ( guessing) the guy got it for less than $8500. And car was for sale easily a year On the East coast And that is like one of about 4-5 , maybe less,, in this country . 

I like 411s for the fact they have somewhat the same suspension as a Full size ford of about the same vintage so the huge amount of R&D on those can be used as a starting point.. It’s not that fast by today’s standards  , it’s only marginally safer than a go kart but it’s got a style 

I love the curvy weirdness of them . 

I would buy it 

People trip out at a 411 that ain’t no shit .

prices are climbing for them though 

Edited by bananahamuck
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice. The same guy has a RHD '65 Bluebird (410) 2DR sedan that I store for him also that is very Granny Spec. 

You're right, people do trip on the 411, or they just don't see it and try to run you over.

I am way more of a 1200 guy but this 411 has really grown on me. If it was a goon, all bets would be off.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Got the right hand side done today. Little bit easier this time around. It wasn't quite as hot today.

Still wouldn't want to do it again.

• Like 1
On 7/12/2020 at 7:24 PM, KELMO said:

Hood bumper replacement time.

qCqu2FF.jpg

Required tools. Who knew vaseline had an automotive use.

iJRH6f3.jpg

Was about 108 degrees in the shop today which either made this easier to install or harder, I couldn't tell for sure.

B6yCd5f.jpg

Set of belt mouldings that I got from Duncan. Post date on the box was Dec 2014. Six years later I am ready to use them.

G6YNz3V.jpg

There really must be more to this story...  I'm doing the hood bumpers in my 620 and have had the same experience as so many other here: Rubber stud breaks off.  It's too late for two of my four bumpers, but if I can do the next two with your magic method I'd appreciate it.  Although, I'm not opposed to using a machine screw, nut, and two fender washers as a workaround.  Wagon looks great, btw.  If I get half as far in 7 years I'll consider it worth the effort!

So, there really is no magic...it is more of just pure dumb luck. Those are from the drivers side and took several swear words and as many cocktails. On the 510 one side of the part that goes into the hole on the hoodledge is smaller. Put the larger side into the hole first and the with downward pressure (and the vaseline) the smaller side pops in. I still have to do the passenger side as it has been a bit of a bitch kitty. I am starting to think the fender will have to come off and I REALLY do not want to do that. Those plastic trim tools are great for this type of work.

If you resort to the fender washers, nuts, and screws...we will all come to your house and beat you😀.

Thanks for the compliment but I've really done nothing on this ride since I bought it...other than collect parts. I have almost everything so it was time to start.

On 7/14/2020 at 5:40 AM, KELMO said:

Nope, I didn't do it. It had this diff when I got it from you.

Apparently my memory on that car is failing. 😁

We did swap in an '81 200SX diff. I don't recall if we ever welded on the spring pads, so you may want to check that before driving it. I don't think it will come loose, but a few tack welds would be cheap insurance. 

Well it has been a long time. I should come up with a tag line of "I will serve no dime before it's time."

It's a fancy way of saying I can't get shit done..

I don't think you did. It is a little offset also but then I keep hearing goon's are like that. But, this is a different rear end so .....

I am just going to keep doing stuff that is in front of me and I have parts for

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

So I just need about a million more of these to get started on the headliner. Still have some removal to do but it is cold out there.

dfilifr.jpg

Picked up a couple pallets of 510 parts.

6ki91dM.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, KELMO said:

So I just need about a million more of these to get started on the headliner. Still have some removal to do but it is cold out there.

I went to either Office Depot or Staples and got the binder clips.  The total purchase price was around $15 or so.  The upside is you will never have to buy another box of those for the rest of your life..

Oh, I have quite a few as I used them to do the liner on the green coupe. Most of them have been repurposed.

01ovwu3.jpg

The bat in the picture is just an added bonus..Yes, I had an actual bat in the hangar.

Since I have the metal siding, I used the clips to attach signs, license plates, etc. to the top rail.

So I would rather spend the $$ and get more clips cuz I don't really want to spend the time taking all of the shite down.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To be clear if your friend asks 3500 for that 411. Please message me, I have the cash and will come get it. I am not a 411 expert, but when I was looking for them I noticed the same thing that Bananahamuck said the suspension is uninspiring, and really the best thing is the look. The 510 is a much better vehicle overall, but dang do I love the 411. Seriously I will come and get it immediately for $3500.