New Classifieds

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so...theres still nothing listed in the classifieds about the 25 post rule. or the ratsun rules. and now we're just locking threads while explaining that even though its said absolutely nowhere prominent, you HAVE to have 25 posts before you can post in the classifieds.  and we will never know if these people would have become decent members or not cause if I got that sort of treatment when I first started here, I sure as shit wouldn't have stuck around to find out what other "rules" i'd find out about only after I broke them. I've already posted an easy solution to this, with 3 other members agreeing, and at least 2 mods have read thru and have neither said nor done anything. meanwhile instead of the classifieds being filled with people bullshitting, we're starting to have people just post up for sale threads in general discussion. that then get locked...

Part of the problem I'm seeing right now is there are a few folks who have a Datsun they no longer want and are just trying to unload it without resorting to Craigslist.  Maybe they want to sell it to a Datsun person rather than just have the scrapper pick it up, since they vehicles are generally complete.  Somehow they got pointed to Ratsun, but of course they can't post a for sale ad because of the 25-post rule.

They have no interest in becoming a part of the community- they just have a Datsun they want to get rid of.  Maybe it was grandmas car.  Maybe it's GRANDMA trying to get rid of the car.

So, via the 25-post rule, we've locked them out of being able to post the only thing they want to do (sell the car), locked their attempts to sell it any other way, and because of that they just give up and call the hulk hauler.  A possible diamond-in-the-rough goes straight to Schnitzer (not even the junkyard) and is gone, because the classifieds were changed to 1) to keep parts vendors away (which hasn't worked worth a crap anyway because most parts vendors had over 25+ posts of old classifieds and that counts towards their total anyway), and 2) to stop people from discussing parts for sale, mostly because certain sellers got their panties in a bunch when folks complained abouty their exorberant pricing.

I actually see this time to time- someone come up to me, sees my ratty old 620, says "hey, I have this Datsun xxx laying in the backyard, know anyone that might want it?".  3 months ago, I'd have pointed him to Ratsun (that is, if he wanted more than the $200 I'd be willing to pay for it, I'm a cheapskate) but not anymore.  Kinds stupid to say, yeah, there's this whole community but you gotta be a member and make 25 non-sale posts about a car you aren't gonna fix, drive, or otherwise do anything to except unload before they'll let you post a want ad.

I realize the 25-post rule helps keep out spammers, but there's got to be a way for folks to easily request an exemption that's VISIBLE... and availible.  It needs to be part of the error message folks get when their ad attempt is denied by the system.  Right now, it appears there's no explaination, and no one specific to contact.

• Like 4

I agree about the lack of necessity for the 25 posts rule.  With all the fields that have to be filled out to post a classified ad, I can't imagine there being that many spammers trying to post...

Not in the classifieds section... still plenty in the normal forums. 

There seems to be more "Why cant I post" threads than spammer threads. 

Not in the classifieds section... still plenty in the normal forums. 

There seems to be more "Why cant I post" threads than spammer threads. 

That is because they are trying to post in the old classified forum. Once they learn to read and understand what they are reading, even those posts will be gone. Better yet, get rid of the old classified archives and start anew.

That is because they are trying to post in the old classified forum. Once they learn to read and understand what they are reading, even those posts will be gone. Better yet, get rid of the old classified archives and start anew.

actually most of them get told that they now need 25 posts to post in the classifieds, and the response is "oh" and then they disappear. only once have I seen someone trying to post in the old classifieds, and it was someone who already had the required 25 posts, just hadn't been on since the update.

Still not sure what the addition of this new software was supposed to solve.

You guys know me - I've bought and sold a metric shit-ton of parts here on Ratsun, and always hook people up with great deals... I don't bitch for no good reason.

I'm a forum guy - I know forums.  If it was a good system, I'd be using it.  

All I know is I've got a cabinet full of parts and I have no intention of slogging through this crappy software to list 'em - nor do I have the desire any longer to browse the F/S ads (which I used to do nightly).

My opinion means dick, but I'd hope someone would take it seriously, considering my 12 years running a monster-ass forum.  :(

• Like 5

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could still post parts lots for sale, you just have to list what there is, and separate prices.  For the listing Price, just post the highest price.  After it expires, you will have to re-list with an updated listing.

That's possible right?  Or is there a rule I don't know, against that?

I thought it was pretty easy to list my WTB ad.

You guys know me - I've bought and sold a metric shit-ton of parts here on Ratsun, and always hook people up with great deals... I don't bitch for no good reason.

All I know is I've got a cabinet full of parts and I have no intention of slogging through this crappy software to list 'em - nor do I have the desire any longer to browse the F/S ads (which I used to do nightly).

My opinion means dick, but I'd hope someone would take it seriously, considering my 12 years running a monster-ass forum.   :(

Yep... I've been trying to give it a chance and yes I was one that 'got my panties in a wad' (to quote a previous poster) a few times about people complaining about prices but if you look at it from the other direction... who got their panties bunched up in the first place?  

Anyhoo, classifieds are not the meeting place they used to be... kinda sterile and impersonal now.  I always looked at it like a swap meet... people gathering around some parts, discussing, advising, bartering, haggling, etc (but yeah... with the occasional guy abruptly running up and shouting "that's too expensive!" - usually on something that had obo on it, lol ).   Plus you had an idea what was getting attention and what wasn't whether your ad or someone else's.  

Personally, I dont like this new "classifieds".......I dont want to wade through a bunch of crap that I'm not intersted in to search for the stuff I am. Now it seems like everything is lumped together. Not worth the bother.

Personally, I dont like this new "classifieds".......I dont want to wade through a bunch of crap that I'm not intersted in to search for the stuff I am. Now it seems like everything is lumped together. Not worth the bother.

Really?  With the old classifieds you could view:

Datsuns For Sale / Wanted

Datsun Parts For Sale

Datsun Parts Wanted

Non-Datsun Cars and Parts

With the new classifieds you can view:

All Classifieds

Vehicles

Datsun Parts

Datsun Miscellaneous

Non-Datsun Vehicles

...and you can choose to view for-sale, wanted, or exchange for each section

So now you actually have more categories, plus some extra ability to filter what you do or don't want to see.  I don't see what you're complaining about.  Seems like a lot of people just want to whine because it's "different" without actually looking into it.

• Like 2

My opinion means dick, but I'd hope someone would take it seriously, considering my 12 years running a monster-ass forum.   :(

Oh come oooooooooon, you're sounding like a big baby (said in the kindest way possible).  You're upset because there are a few extra fields it asks you to fill out?  There's no reason you can't list all your items in one post just the same, and as I said above you can view the classifieds virtually just like the old ones.  What is the problem?

are there any numbers for how many hits the "old classifieds" is currently getting, compared to the "new classifieds" ????

maybe it's time to make the "archived" link smaller than the "new classifieds" ... .. and make the bottom of the main page look like it used to

CLASSIFIEDS:
Datsuns Vehicles
Datsun Parts
Datsun Miscellaneous
Non-Datsun Vehicles

• Like 2

are there any numbers for how many hits the "old classifieds" is currently getting, compared to the "new classifieds" ????

maybe it's time to make the "archived" link smaller than the "new classifieds" ... .. and make the bottom of the main page look like it used to

CLASSIFIEDS:

Datsuns Vehicles

Datsun Parts

Datsun Miscellaneous

Non-Datsun Vehicles

Exactly. Call me old fashioned but if it aint broken, dont fix it. Keep it simple stupid.......easy in an out old way, who needs a bunch of new tools for navigation and "feedback?"

I dont know why people are still complaining over the new Classifieds... its not going to be changed back no matter how sandy your complaint is. Deal with it. 

Just lay down and comply, yes massah.  Like everything else in this world, dumbed down, everything pc and no personal opinions allowed or tolerated.  Seig Heil !

• Like 1

Just lay down and comply, yes massah.  Like everything else in this world, dumbed down, everything pc and no personal opinions allowed or tolerated.  Seig Heil !

Thats a bit extreme. If you really feel that way, you have the opportunity to leave this community unlike the real 1800s slavery and 1940s holocaust situation you think this is. No one is keeping you here.

Its been proven that its not changing after 44 pages so how about instead of complaining (which will get you no where) you either help discuss real features or setting that would make it better or learn to use it. Actual issues are getting buried under everyones whining over a situation that wont be changed. I didnt make the change, but Ive realized that no matter what people say, its going to stay. Its the Internet and not the end of the World. Who really cares that much? 

Thomas is there an update on renewing ads? To circumvent the writing ads from scratch every time I just linked to an old classifieds section post for a WTB thread. Also, I dont know if is an option, but when the update first happened pictures were required to be posted. Was nice to people could immediately see what the item was and didnt need to wait around for the seller to get back to them with pictures. Unfortunately that meant that the WTB ads needed pictures which seems a bit awkward. Anyway to split them up and require FS ads to have pictures, but WTB threads not to? I havent used this specific plug-in on any of the sites Ive been a mod on. I dont know how much control you have. 

.... yes. Not extreme. The way it seams to work. Using tristains, and others logic on complaints, why are you still complaining about complaints? Just fucking deal with it..
  • Like 2

Thomas is there an update on renewing ads? To circumvent the writing ads from scratch every time I just linked to an old classifieds section post for a WTB thread. Also, I dont know if is an option, but when the update first happened pictures were required to be posted. Was nice to people could immediately see what the item was and didnt need to wait around for the seller to get back to them with pictures. Unfortunately that meant that the WTB ads needed pictures which seems a bit awkward. Anyway to split them up and require FS ads to have pictures, but WTB threads not to? I havent used this specific plug-in on any of the sites Ive been a mod on. I dont know how much control you have. 

It would be nice, as well, if the renew feature for each ad wouldn't activate until the time had run up and the ad had timed out. Otherwise, I could see people bumping their own ads every 5min. just like people creating a new ad every 15 when they don't get a response immediately.