New Classifieds

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

^Realistic

Fixed. 

It would be nice, as well, if the renew feature for each ad wouldn't activate until the time had run up and the ad had timed out. Otherwise, I could see people bumping their own ads every 5min. just like people creating a new ad every 15 when they don't get a response immediately.

Ive used a similar plug-in before and you can only renew once it expired. Ive never seen one where you could just bump at will. You could do that with the old system though since it was just a comment and all comments send threads to the top. Ive also been on a forum where commenting on a classified thread doesnt bring it to the top. Stop people from bumping their own threads a billion times a day to get exposure. 

Thomas is there an update on renewing ads? To circumvent the writing ads from scratch every time I just linked to an old classifieds section post for a WTB thread. Also, I dont know if is an option, but when the update first happened pictures were required to be posted. Was nice to people could immediately see what the item was and didnt need to wait around for the seller to get back to them with pictures. Unfortunately that meant that the WTB ads needed pictures which seems a bit awkward. Anyway to split them up and require FS ads to have pictures, but WTB threads not to? I havent used this specific plug-in on any of the sites Ive been a mod on. I dont know how much control you have. 

I'd like to see another thread started for real suggestions to improvement of the classifieds.....  I will do that now.....

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56076-new-classifieds-improvement-suggestions-only/

Still not sure what the addition of this new software was supposed to solve.

You guys know me - I've bought and sold a metric shit-ton of parts here on Ratsun, and always hook people up with great deals... I don't bitch for no good reason.

I'm a forum guy - I know forums.  If it was a good system, I'd be using it.  

All I know is I've got a cabinet full of parts and I have no intention of slogging through this crappy software to list 'em - nor do I have the desire any longer to browse the F/S ads (which I used to do nightly).

My opinion means dick, but I'd hope someone would take it seriously, considering my 12 years running a monster-ass forum.   :(

It keeps the couple of us that are here on a regular basis from having to police the classifieds. If you could see how many deleted posts alone, that are in the classifieds, you might understand. We don't get paid to babysit. In fact we don't get paid at all, not that I am in any complaining about hanging out here and helping people. I like the community here. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could still post parts lots for sale, you just have to list what there is, and separate prices.  For the listing Price, just post the highest price.  After it expires, you will have to re-list with an updated listing.

That's possible right?  Or is there a rule I don't know, against that?

I thought it was pretty easy to list my WTB ad.

Seems to me you can sell whatever you want. My ad was pretty easy to make. Renewing it was a slight hassle, I ended up just making a new one, but the problem is being worked on. 

Just lay down and comply, yes massah.  Like everything else in this world, dumbed down, everything pc and no personal opinions allowed or tolerated.  Seig Heil !

Complain all you want, if it's something that needs fixed, cool. If not, I hope the venting makes you feel better :)

Tristan the renew problem is being looked into. I would suggest copying the ad body and saving it somewhere so you can just copy paste. I did this for my motor mount ad, works pretty well.
  • Like 1

Tristan the renew problem is being looked into. I would suggest copying the ad body and saving it somewhere so you can just copy paste. I did this for my motor mount ad, works pretty well.

Unfortunately Im trying to renew ads that are already posted. I cant even view the ads to copy the info... selling the or asking for the parts isnt important enough to rewrite my large ad from scratch. For future ads Ill just copy them... just doesnt help for the ones Ive already posted :(

Im not trying to be bothersome with bringing up the renewal issue, but it keeps getting buried in peoples yammering  :sleep:

Tri-stains, you should start a thread about the thread km starts, ill start a thread about that, and we can call each other bitches. For not likeing shit, or not likeing that someone dislikes shit, or because we have no opinion, or because my opinion of your opinion sucks,

• Like 1

Not complaining about taxes(at least not in this thread). I was driving at something else..

well then, im not complaining about you not complaining about the irs.

I hope that doesnt come across as whiney bitching.

still waiting on at least an acknowledgment on putting something at the top of the new classifieds, or in the ratsun rules, about the 25 post limit. its starting to get a bit aggrevating to see mods taking the time to respond to people just complaining in general about the new classifieds, which has already been said wont be changed back to the old style, but not having the time to even tell me if its a good idea or if i'm a dumbass.

still waiting on at least an acknowledgment on putting something at the top of the new classifieds, or in the ratsun rules, about the 25 post limit. its starting to get a bit aggrevating to see mods taking the time to respond to people just complaining in general about the new classifieds, which has already been said wont be changed back to the old style, but not having the time to even tell me if its a good idea or if i'm a dumbass.

I still don't see the problem with newbies getting on to post stuff for sale.  If someone has parts I need, I want to know where to get them.  I don't care if they don't want to participate in the great forum  we call Ratsun.  And if they are asking too much for a part, then they won't get any response, and next time they won't post here.  The problem solves itself.   I say drop the 25 post requirement all together. 

• Like 2

The problem with it is that there are wolves in sheep's clothing that can creep in and before anyone knows it, they've struck and someone's been ripped off. There's no accountability. I'm not saying that this is the only reason, but I've definitely seen this in the past where nobody knows anything about the member, they come in, do their fraudulent peddling, and are never heard of again. It's a protection, not just against never ending spam, but against corrupt sellers.

It doesn't weed out all the bad business, but it reduces it.

• Like 1

I guess I didn't see it from that angle...  I don't have any other suggestions to fix that issue.

Trying to rubber pad life; and buying and selling, we will just end up with our own Ratsun version of eBay, with Buyer Protection, and all the fraud that goes on with that.

.... should be 50 posts. Wait... a hundred.

nvm on my question, since you've proven that baiting someone is more important than answering a simple question, its obvious that ya'll really don't give a flying fuck about attempts at useful insight. 

• Like 1

All valid opinions welcome (swipe credit card now)

I don't see any requirements to pay anyone anywhere.  Forums cost money to run, plus administrators and moderators.  Last I knew, nobody was making any money here.  Things don't get changed/fixed on the administration end very quickly, I assume because the administrator has a life and job outside of the forum and isn't paid to deal with the forum, and nobody should complain about that.  I don't think its offensive every once in a while to say, "Hey, we don't enjoy always covering the entire cost of the forum when we're a small fraction of the user base" and asking politely for donations from members who get all the benefits but bear none of the cost.  And part of moderation for free comes down to trimming the fat from things that cause problems, so that moderators don't have to donate so much of their time for free.  Hence the new classified system where moderators are relieved from dealing with all the immaturity of cheap Datsun owners.  Maybe it's a bigger problem here than other forums because Datsun owners do tend to be such cheap asses.  We want parts for cheap and bitch if people don't sell them cheap, and we bitch about our free forum because unpaid administration makes changes we don't like on a forum we don't pay anything to use.

• Like 2

vat do i do if ive sold the item? edit it and add "sold"?

i DO SEE the option to close advert but im not sure what that does. 

if i close it, will i still be able to reference the link/thread or will it be gone forever ;(

Thomas is there an update on renewing ads? To circumvent the writing ads from scratch every time I just linked to an old classifieds section post for a WTB thread. Also, I dont know if is an option, but when the update first happened pictures were required to be posted. Was nice to people could immediately see what the item was and didnt need to wait around for the seller to get back to them with pictures. Unfortunately that meant that the WTB ads needed pictures which seems a bit awkward. Anyway to split them up and require FS ads to have pictures, but WTB threads not to? I havent used this specific plug-in on any of the sites Ive been a mod on. I dont know how much control you have. 

The author of an ad can renew it by clicking on the expired ad, or from the "manage classifieds" link in the user drop down menu. This was unavailable for ads that were made before the renewal setting was altered, but I think those ads should be expired by now anyway. The pricing error should be resolved now, but I think some people were getting another error that is currently being investigated. 

I actually asked about the possibility of splitting For Sale/Wanted ads in terms of pictures, but unfortunately it doesn't work like that as it's currently written. Maybe that I've mentioned it, he will ad it in a future release? For now we need to require images for everything or for nothing—I'm okay with it either way. It would be helpful to require images, but I'm not sure everybody who creates a wanted ad would know what to do with that requirement.