mrbigtanker

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

How did you shorten the shaft? Did you cut it in the middle and simply weld it back together?

At the bottom where it meets the rear. Easy peasy

6 hours ago, d.p said:

Nice nice nice, did you do it or someone else?  And where did you end up getting the bearings from? 

Of course I did not do it.lol And the bearing is because of you . Thank you 123Bearing.com came through. And my flywheel is 8 bolts. lol 

3 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Shortening steering columns is real easy with a lathe.  My brother and I have over a dozen for my 520 alone!  LOL

Yes it is. I can't weld worth a shit but not hard at all. 

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

Ok now we are styling profiling. Got the Turbo tappet cover back on. Coils sit back at home. Also Tapped the 2 vents to accommodate 1/2" Not for plug on back and -8 vent on top. What a pain in the ass. Bit it is looking good.

What a great combo. EFI FJ20 in a 521. Can't wait to see it come together.

33 minutes ago, mrbigtanker said:

Of course I did not do it.lol And the bearing is because of you . Thank you 123Bearing.com came through. And my flywheel is 8 bolts. lol 

I have never had one completely apart, so I wasn't sure how it plugged into the box. So you're all saying it's easy then.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

I don't remember what primer this is but it aint cheap. Stay tuned guys more to come. It will look like a 20 footer when done I promise.lol

I can tell by looking at it it's a high build primer.  I used the PPG stuff on my wagon @$200 per gallon.  Cheap it ain't! 

I cried every time I had to buy it.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

I can't weld either but my brother can weld really well with his eyes closed, he listens to the weld.

Edited by Charlie69
  • Like 3
17 hours ago, Charlie69 said:

Shortening steering columns is real easy with a lathe.  My brother and I have over a dozen for my 520 alone!  LOL

13 hours ago, mrbigtanker said:

There better be some pictures or videos of all this column shortening you guys are doing!!!! 😞

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, mklotz70 said:

There better be some pictures or videos of all this column shortening you guys are doing!!!! 😞

I believe at least the first shortening was documented in my 520 thread.  The reason for the lathe is to be sure the steering shaft is straight before welding

• Like 1

One of the best drift cars I ever owned was a 1982 Buick Electra. I was lowered just a tad, and had great shocks, but kept the whitewalls and wire wheels hubcaps. There was one city block south of Market in SF that we could drift the entire block.

My other favorite drift cars were trucks - a 1996 Suburban big block 4x4 2500 that could drift entire freeway on-ramps and my1974 Chevy C30 single cab dually big block 2wd which was also a drifting king.

Love to own the Porsche, but I can't see myself drifting it.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, Stoffregen Motorsports said:

One of the best drift cars I ever owned was a 1982 Buick Electra. I was lowered just a tad, and had great shocks, but kept the whitewalls and wire wheels hubcaps. There was one city block south of Market in SF that we could drift the entire block.

My other favorite drift cars were trucks - a 1996 Suburban big block 4x4 2500 that could drift entire freeway on-ramps and my1974 Chevy C30 single cab dually big block 2wd which was also a drifting king.

Love to own the Porsche, but I can't see myself drifting it.

I dont want to drift oh no no no, I want to look at it.lol

• Like 3