1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

I already have a plan for the sliders. They will be fairly tough as the main rocker tube will be 2 x 2 x .25 wall square. They will be tied into the frame body mounts and have a couple 1.5" dia x .120 wall support tubes to the frame.

I need to figure out a step feature so my girl can get into the passenger side easily :lol:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm guessing he is thinking of building his own ........are u gonna gusset the rear spring perch mount on the front .....I haven't seen a close up of that end ......I'm pretty safe to say the way u overbuilt it all I don't need to ask but I can't just keep posting the "boss build dude " comments ......I wish my wife's blazer was more of a wheeler so I could hit the trails wit u.....lol its definitely set up for urban street wheelin....kinda why I would.like to build a 4x4 521 at some point ......looking good man ......

Damn it beat me to it .........those power steps that tuck up under are kinda cool....maybe u could find a used individual one cut it down for your purpose ...,.I was thinking the same thing for her blazer .....the came OEM on something ....not the swing down one either ....the long black ones that look like a slider .....I wanna say excursions had them ....

Ya that rear perch is going to get gusseted. I haven't exactly decided if I will plate it or use tubing and tie into the sliders. I'm leaning towards the tube as it will help me tie the body mount, perch and frame together. I'm going to get the main rocker tube located first and then I'll get a better idea of how to support everything.

I don't mind 'boss build' comments :lol:

Thanks guys.

45 came in for the rad, I need to go pick up some map gas, flux and solder. 

IMG_5891_zpse6fb2590.jpg

Bumper is coming together, should fit nice a tight to the core support, A bit of a trim on the ends and then I can start capping the sides and bottom.

IMG_5896_zps3d8dc8c0.jpg

Haven't drilled the mounting holes yet, there will be a gap when Its finalized. Need some room in the back as well. Keeping it tight during mockup/fitment to make sure the lines match and everything clears. I am also leaving extra on the outside to trim back to where I like it.

In case anyone is wondering 165 degrees is the front end angle looking down on the top of the grill. If that makes sense. :lol:

More progress, woohoo 

Shock mounts. 

IMG_5908_zpscfb350ba.jpg

IMG_5909_zpsa75414c9.jpg

IMG_5932_zps7465d2ce.jpg

Overall stuff

IMG_5931_zps8afeb492.jpg

IMG_5928_zpsdc2b3f76.jpg

IMG_5930_zps571e4916.jpg

Tying the shock/leafspring/frame/rocker protection together.

IMG_5925_zps2623406b.jpg

vIMG_5949_zps779fd19f.jpg

IMG_5954_zps202db45f.jpg

IMG_5951_zpscf0fd0b8.jpg

Picked up some powersteering stuff as well. 

IMG_5940_zps19189b0f.jpg

IMG_5943_zpsd6b09aa2.jpg

what about that leaf spring mount when is it getting triangulated cause that doesnt look strong enough

When the mid point of the shock mount tubes get tied to the frame on each side and together across the engine bay.

It is already welded across the bottom of the frame and the shock mount tube is welded to it and the frame, so it already is gusseted with tubing. The tubing will also get tied to the body mount. It might be that it looks weird because the leaf spring mount is 8" long. I did that so it would have a nice ramp and gave me lots for surface contact under the frame.

It is already pretty stout though.

Few more pics of the general area...

Have I mentioned that welding upside sucks :lol:

IMG_5971_zpsfd541eb1.jpg

IMG_5972_zps1a9eb9a3.jpg

IMG_5973_zpsdcccfd2d.jpg

IMG_5974_zps989103d0.jpg

...and I tacked the shock mounts in and cut mount plates for the rest of my rocker tubes.

IMG_5967_zpsaabe9eb3.jpg

IMG_5968_zps31ac8c5e.jpg

IMG_5969_zpsb8c7927f.jpg

IMG_5970_zps729e8854.jpg

IMG_5965_zps1160655f.jpg

You know, I don't get the Datsun frames are thin comment. I have cut up one or two and they seem to be built pretty well. Most of the length is made from 4 layers. 2 'c' shapes with inner ribs, somewhat like this [ll]. You can see part of the inner plate layer in the second pic below (the factory slot cut out). I will say it is still pretty flexible along the length of the frame. I hope to stiffen that with the armor and cage (the cage will be done after I bob the bed later this summer).

My frame plates are all tacked up.

IMG_5975_zpsc97904ce.jpg

Fun with paper and scissors.

IMG_5976_zps715615ac.jpg

A-A is the drivers side

IMG_5977_zps9ffcf3ac.jpg

IMG_5978_zps51b7fdd5.jpg

Spin one of the templates and A-C gives me the opposite passenger side tube.

IMG_5979_zpsb772495b.jpg

IMG_5980_zps6bfb613c.jpg

...and that's all I got done last night.