1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figured out what happened. Jeff used the 240 intake on the truck motor. In researching the truck motor there were pics of both systems. I hooked them together and it blew out the seal.

In short, I am a dumbass. :lol:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in the garage. :)

IMG_68741_zps6400779c.jpg

Gonna pull the trans and put in the new rear seal and new clutch. While I'm under there I will be reworking some of the crossmembers and hooking up a t-case shifter. It'll be nice not having to lay on the ground to put it in and out of 4 wheel drive. :lol:

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

hi i'm new to all this but my dad just gave me a pretty hashed 1973 620 pickup that i am converting to 4wd with jeep axles and a jeep I6. i need some advice on how to go about stuffing that really long I6 in the datsun and i will have a rear axle and a pretty nice 4 speed transmission for sale if anyone is interested.

Very little difference between the two , as far as the swap dimensions.

You are going to need a wheel barrow to enlarge the fire wall set back......

If you need parts for that Jeep mill let me know. I probably have most of what you might need.

I was thinking it might be worth the effort if it's the 4.0.

Then again, if I was to do another 4x4, I'd either just get a transfer case from a 720 or a tranny and transfer case from a Pathfinder or Hardbody and do a bellhousing swap to run behind the L series.

Actually the 258 is a better motor. With the correct 7120 head and some creative machine work you get a stroker.

Torque# are great . A beast of an engine.

The 720 T-case is centered. A pain in the ass in most SAS conversions.

4.0 is the better engine, lots of improvements over the years, plus put in a 258 crank to make a 4.6 for massive torque! Personally I wouldn't try to put an inline 6 in, the room in the cab is already tight, and if you build a dog house for the 2 extra cylinders, you will have no room for you. Use the Jeep axles if you want, but put a Nissan engine, trans, and transfer case, and you will be much happier with the results. If you must have more cylinders, then go with a small block Chevy, as they make adaptors to mate with the Jeep trans, and the engine will fit without chopping out the whole fire wall.

My $.02

• Like 1

4.0 is the better engine, lots of improvements over the years, plus put in a 258 crank to make a 4.6 for massive torque! Personally I wouldn't try to put an inline 6 in, the room in the cab is already tight, and if you build a dog house for the 2 extra cylinders, you will have no room for you. Use the Jeep axles if you want, but put a Nissan engine, trans, and transfer case, and you will be much happier with the results. If you must have more cylinders, then go with a small block Chevy, as they make adaptors to mate with the Jeep trans, and the engine will fit without chopping out the whole fire wall.

My

The 4.0 a better engine than the 258???????

Other than the head ( which I covered in my previous remark ) name one improvement. Just one.

And the Nissan T-case vs.the D-20 ??????

The Nissan is an in line T-case. No offset . Not the most desirable set up for an SAS rig.

No where near as strong as the 20.

Aluminum vs. iron case.

Aftermarket support is nearly non existent.

ETC. ETC. ETC.

I don't recomend the in line 6 for different reasons.

The 6 just isn't necessary.

Nor is a V-8.

As to the dog house and room.

You will loose the heater. But not much else .

If you want a V-8 to mate to the Jeep tranny try a Jeep engine .

Kind of like a 360 or a 401........

I realize this is a Datsun Nissan site .

I really don't want to get into a Jeep lore arguing match here .

I kinda do the 4x4 / Jeep / Suzuki / Corn Binder / Fj 40 thing for a living.

405131466_zps617ab9e6.jpg

I like Jeeps too ;)

Picture004.jpg

SDC16735.jpg

360 V8, T18, Dana 20 twin stick with dana 18 gears. LSD Dana 44 rear, welded Dana 30 front.

I've also been through a couple Wagoneers. :lol:

You need to get an air conditioner for your office :)

It was near perfect til the end. Frame was shot, brakes quit and a few other issues all popped up at the same time. That's why I got the truck, so it could be parked until I can start from scratch on it. :)

Yea . The cj's frame is always the week point.

If you can find an 80 or newer donor you will get a fully boxed frame in the deal......

A guy from the Marine corps wanted my last CJ5 a bunch more than I did .

That's why the Sammy. Thought I'd try something new.

The 4.0 a better engine than the 258???????

Other than the head ( which I covered in my previous remark ) name one improvement. Just one.

And the Nissan T-case vs.the D-20 ??????

The Nissan is an in line T-case. No offset . Not the most desirable set up for an SAS rig.

No where near as strong as the 20.

Aluminum vs. iron case.

Aftermarket support is nearly non existent.

ETC. ETC. ETC.

I don't recomend the in line 6 for different reasons.

The 6 just isn't necessary.

Nor is a V-8.

As to the dog house and room.

You will loose the heater. But not much else .

If you want a V-8 to mate to the Jeep tranny try a Jeep engine .

Kind of like a 360 or a 401........

I realize this is a Datsun Nissan site .

I really don't want to get into a Jeep lore arguing match here .

I kinda do the 4x4 / Jeep / Suzuki / Corn Binder / Fj 40 thing for a living.

405131466_zps617ab9e6.jpg

The block was strenghtened twice since the 258, the last time in 96, not only making it stronger, but quieter and less vibration. Oops, that was 2, and I didn't mention the newer ignition systems from 99 up.

The only reason I said to use the nissan trans and transfer case was to make it simple to use the nissan engine, I don't have any experience with nissan transfer cases, so don't know much about them. I had 2 620s with 4X4 conversions, and both only used the 30 front axle and 20 transfer case, and had no problems. both were purchased new that way. The 79 had a detroit locker in the nissan rear, and a truetrac in the front, and was just about unstoppable.

Along with loosing the heater, you will lose room for your right foot, and the passengers left foot, but maybe you are different, and don't need feet! LOL!

Both of the "Jeep" engines you mention take more room than a Chevy, and are unreliable, just ask me, I owned a 74 CJ5 Renagade with a 304, that I traded for my 76 620 with the 4X4 conversion, because I got tired of fixing it every time I wanted to drive it, and only 2 years old! Never had any problems with either of my 620 4X4s, and owned the first for 3 year, and the 79 for 4.

I don't have anything against Jeeps, I own 2 Cherokees now, both 4.0s, and they are reliable and perform great, but in my experience, if you want a 620 4X4, go with a KA for power, it's all you need, and you don't need to butcher the firewall, keep it simple!

Ok I tried to be nice. The 258 has never been strengthened . The 4.0 is a Chrysler derivative of the 258. First reason to avoid it.

The ignition is interchangeable. I usualy opt for an after market upgrade on either engine as neither is a great performer.

As to the 360 / 401 being unreliable . YOU ARE VERY POORLY INFORMED.

Both motors in stock format were equipped with 2.02 intake 190-196 exhaust valves ALL WITH 3 RING KEEPERS  / H-beam rods / threaded valve studs / free flow heads / hardened cranks / external oil pumps / etc. etc. etc.

You know all the stuff Chevy guys spend tons to add to the chev engines to try to make them preform as well as the AMC.

360[edit]

220px-1974_Bricklin_white_md-en.jpg
magnify-clip.png
The AMC 360 V8 was standard in the 1974 Bricklin SV-1 sports car

The AMC 360 had a displacement of 359.80 CID (5,896.1 cc).[14] The 2-barrel produced 235 hp (175 kW; 238 PS) to 245 hp (183 kW; 248 PS) in 1970 to early 1971 while the 4-barrel produced 285 hp (213 kW; 289 PS) to 295 hp (220 kW; 299 PS), 175 hp (130 kW; 177 PS) to 220 hp (164 kW; 223 PS) from mid-1971 to 1975, 140 hp (104 kW; 142 PS) to 180 hp (134 kW; 182 PS) in 1976, 129 hp (96 kW; 131 PS) in 1977, and 160 hp (119 kW; 162 PS) from 1978 to 1991.

It was the last AMC V8 to be manufactured. It was used exclusively in Jeep J-series Trucks 1970-1987, Jeep Wagoneer models from 1972–84, Cherokee from 1974 to 1983, and Grand Wagoneer from 1984 to 1991 - becoming the last carbureted engine used in an American-built vehicle. It was also installed in the Bricklin SV-1 sports car for 1974 model year.

390[edit]

The AMC 390 cu in (6.4 L) 390 produced 325 hp (242 kW; 330 PS) in all except the Rebel Machine. This muscle car engine was rated at 340 hp (254 kW; 345 PS) due to a different intake. Production only lasted one year (1970) before it was stroked to become the 401 cu in (6.6 L). Like its GEN-2 cousin, the maximum factory recommended overbore is only 0.020 in (0.508 mm), though they are commonly bored 0.030 in (0.762 mm).

401[edit]

220px-Amc401v8-1.jpg
magnify-clip.png
1974 AMC 401

The 401 had a displacement of 401.11 CID (6,572.9 cc)[14] which produced 330 hp (246 kW; 335 PS) gross in 1971 and 255 hp (190 kW; 259 PS) net from 1972 to 1975. In 1976 it was rated at 215 hp (160 kW; 218 PS). Like the 390, the 401's crankshaft and connecting rods are forged steel. Like the 390, factory recommended overbore is only 0.020 in (0.508 mm), but commonly bored by 0.030 in (0.762 mm). It was last produced in 1979. Their combination of rarity, toughness, and excellent power output means that 401 engines are highly sought after.

The 401 was available in the Javelin, Matador, and Ambassador car lines and in Jeeps from its introduction in 1971 through 1974. In 1975 and 1976, emission controls, insurance rates, and high gasoline prices meant the 401 was available on the large Matador model, and then only for police department orders. Buyers of full-sized Jeeps (Wagoneer, Cherokee, J-10 and J-20) could order a 401 until 1979. This engine was also supplied to International Harvester for use as an optional engine in International's Light Line pickup trucks and Travelalls from late 1973 through 1974

Size is a close equivalent to the 350 chev except for a huge advantage to the AMC..... Distributor location.

The only reason for the need to amputate ones right foot would be the use of a Chevy engine.........Again : distributor location.

And the AMC mills from the 258 all the way through the 401 bolt directly to all the different jeep running gear with no adapters........

I have made this swap 6 times in the past 20 years. ALL YOU LOSE IS THE HEATER.....

Now if you'd like to discus this further we should take it to Ratsun 73's thread as to not hijack this thread more than we already have.....

Hey Steve, how about some new pics of your truck to line this thread back up?  :)

How about some older ones.  This was the only walker trip this truck has been on.   :D

Picture%20182.jpg

Picture%20165.jpg

Picture%20155.jpg

Picture%20137.jpg

Picture%20128.jpg

Picture%20100.jpg

Can't wait to get it out again, hopefully this weekend I can get the trans and tcase out to do the rear main and the clutch.

any one have an l16 head i could buy for less than $200

You should post a wanted ad in the classifieds. I am sure you will be able to pick up a head for your asking price or less.

You will want a U67 or an A87 head for your L16. The U67 is an open chamber head and most A87 are closed chamber for a bit higher compression. The later W58 head won't work well with your current exhaust manifold.

• Like 1