1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

Some of you guys might have read my Jeep thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/503-my-jeep-is-on-crack/page__p__6888__hl__jeep__fromsearch__1?do=findComment&comment=6888

DSCN1551.jpg

Well this Memorial trip reminded me how beat it is. sad.gif

So, I went looking for a replacement and picked up this little guy to build. Ended up having a bad rod, but a nice truck overall, great for a wheeler...

Picture0022.jpg

...then I get a text from Jeff, "Wanna buy my truck?"

rage_fu_guy_Every_fight_on_Xbox-s250x200

Took a short while to sort it out, but thanks to Jeff's patience we made the deal today. biggrin.gif

My new wheeler, I plan to beat it mercilessy after some repairs and armor. :fu:

Picture027.jpg

Best part is some of my Jeep parts interchange.

The rest of the jeep is getting torn down to the tub.

I'm storing a couple centimental parts for a buggy build 'someday'.

Yes, I need to wash the red truck laugh.gif

• Like 5
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sweet! Looks too straight to and not rusty to be a wheeler though.

Not to worry, I learned alot about what and where to protect with the Jeep. The body will be protected and the

suspension and drive train upgraded, it will only get better. ;)

My Jeep lasted 12 years or so with a crappy frame, no armor and me learning the hard way.

Mmmmmm.......that will work

Nothing like 4L....climbing a mountain and 'visibility' is zero...just the sky is in sight :D

And of course....the beaten path behind you.......... :cool:

Truth, preach on brother. :cool:

Boy I remember when that truck was lower than your red 620....So does this mean your ready to off the red xcab,,HUH? :rolleyes:

It rides a lot better than the red truck now :lol:

Yes, the final upgrades will be getting done to the red one and it will be ready to sell shortly. :D

• Like 1

Here is an update then.

Don't expect this every day...I just blew all my extra cash to buy the truck. laugh.gif

This is the first major issue I have to deal with. The steering is scary to look even at. :sick:

Picture002.jpg

There is a silver lining. Apparently this Dana 30 front has had Dana 44 knuckles swapped on sometime in the past and they have been milled and tapped for hi-steer. Should make disc brakes easy, although I'll have to tear into it to find out.

Knuckles

Drivers side

Picture006.jpg

Passenger. The high steer arm is really friggen short and it looks like the tie rod arm is bent. The tie rod is rubbing on the drum a touch.

Picture004.jpg

I was going to swap in a Toyota IFS steering box and move it forward but with that passenger arm being so short I am going to look into reverse steer boxes and move it back. This requires the purchase of a set of high steer arms to set my pitman arm location. For now I will start collecting more parts, woohoo my shed is overflowing. :w00t:

Oh and yes the KA is still in there, runs like a top, but a timing chain is on the list along with fixing the leaks. smile.gif

Picture008.jpg

Best part of this whole deal, well other than the truck, my twin stick low geared t-case from the Jeep practically bolts right in. I am gettin some cable shifters for that to keep the floor intact as long as possible. biggrin.gif

• Like 1

now make the green ones rockers taller then the roof of the red on DO IT NOAW

I'll probably in up lowering it a bit if anything. I'm a big fan of a low CG. :)

Plan to take it to the woods this weekend to see how it performs and look for any other issues.

• Like 2

Very nice! Love the photos of the two trucks together. Their colors compliment each other well too. I'm sure you're happy to keep your wheeler in the Datto family.

Are there any archives in Ratsun showing the 2wd to 4wd transformation?

Yep, I've always wanted to build up a 620 4x4, now I get to :D

Here are Jeff's 2 previous threads on this one.

ka24e-into-a-620

4x4 conversion (my-green-620)

big%20trukc%20007.JPG

• Like 1

What are the details on the "cable shifter" for the transfer case? Is this some kind of shifter so you don't have to cut a hole in the floor for the t-case shifter? That would be something I'd be interested in, as I don't have a t-case shifter on my 620 4x4. And I too would rather not cut my floor.

Man, KA and 33's! I am jealous!

What are the details on the "cable shifter" for the transfer case? Is this some kind of shifter so you don't have to cut a hole in the floor for the t-case shifter? That would be something I'd be interested in, as I don't have a t-case shifter on my 620 4x4. And I too would rather not cut my floor.

Man, KA and 33's! I am jealous!

This is the plan, but with two sticks for my t-case.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=917766&highlight=cable+shifter

p8200039w.jpg

They don't have them listed yet.

http://jbfab.net/

I have to save up some $ for a new bull gear and a rebuild kit for my twin stick t-case, it's been leaking a little.

The 33's will be coming off so I can install my 35" Krawlers :cool:

That truck does look really good next to the red one!!!

I'm was glad Steve wanted to buy it. I know he will make that thing into what it should be!

Thanks again man, I am super stoked. Got the title transferred, collector plates and insurance on it today. :thumbup:

Is all the drivetrain 70's Jeep? The most common ratio for narrow axle jeeps is 3.73's Curious as to what axle gears you've got, and how well the KA pushes along those four big flywheels/tires....

Most commonly the swaps used a 4.10 Jeep Dana-30 axle.

Yep, my CJ has 4:10's stock.

It appears that the H190 rear diff is aluminum though and Jeff told me he can pull on the freeway in 5th gear. So, it might have early 4:56 gears in the rear and that is a standard Jeep axle upgrade ratio also. I'll know more when I get into the front, which already has a few upgrades. Fingers crossed. :D

I picked up some green shades in rattle can and so far the paint matches John Deer green the closest. I'm going to hit a couple other stores and see if I can find a perfect match. I'll need paint for fixing a bit of the rust, body mods and touch ups after a few NW pin striping jobs. :lol: