1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dropped the steering arms off into Jeff's caring hands last week.

Some other parts came in last week as well. Excellent deal, couldn't pass it up.

IMG_5373.jpg

Pick up some more goodies from Idol Rides rides today. Yes, I got the brand new cover coated to match :lol:

IMG_5383.jpg

Thanks guys.

I have a habit of planning out a bit more than I should maybe, this is what I have worked up for a front bumper so far. It's mostly 3 x 4 x .25 angle and 3/16 plate,

bumper.jpg

I picked up some bar stock for those shackle mounts sticking out and dropped off some new calipers to get the tan treatment today. :)

All the custom fabing you are doing, makes me wonder why you didn't go with a 4 link, and coilovers?

I already own all the parts I need to do this, the only expense is the steel, most of which is for the bumper which I would need anyways. I don't have $1000 to throw at coilovers, rod ends & link material. Especially because I will need that money to link the rear. I pretty certain the H190 isn't going to last long and I will be on the hunt for a toyota rear, possibly a land cruiser rear end rather than a mini trcuk rear as soon as the front end is back on the ground.  

Thanks Jrock, it's a beige powdercoat, it is pretty close to rustoleum sand (so I can paint some other crap to match) and it matches the interior somewhat. The tan interior complemented the green well enough I figured I'd run with it.

that's kinda the color i was leaning doing those titans  that i just did bronze.....little brighter but same jist......for the same reason matches some interior and goes well with the green ... i can sympathize with you about the budget....i just used all my rod ends,  bungs and dom tubing on my mazda ... i had set it all aside for the 521....looking good....

lol...the h190 will last as long as your right foot and better judgement will allow it to last...

lol...the h190 will last as long as your right foot and better judgement will allow it to last...

lol, hence my copinion that it won't last long. :lol:

I was curious, due to your great fab skills, I understand the money issues, that's why my projects are on hold right now. My KA is sitting on the floor begging to go in my truck, but no cash = no progress. :(

Ya I'd rather be driving it with 4 wheel drive,  over saving the money to someday link it and not have 4 wheel drive. I can still link it someday, and I'll be able to go wheeling fairly soon. :)

lol, hence my copinion that it won't last long. :lol:

Ya I'd rather be driving it with 4 wheel drive,  over saving the money to someday link it and not have 4 wheel drive. I can still link it someday, and I'll be able to go wheeling fairly soon. :)

I've know h190s to hold up for a long time being abused with a V8, so you never know!  :thumbup:  I can't even afford the gas to go wheeling right now. :(

im sure an H190 would be alright behind an L20B even with a 2.02:1 low range of a T100L 720 transfer case... maybe even with 35" tires.
The axle shafts of an H190 are super beefy. like, the basically the same size as ford 9" axle shafts used in NASCAR  with 800hp... 
Its just that poor little 7.5" ring gear, especially if you have a Detroit locker or its welded/spooled, it just cant last long. I went from SD22 in my plans to L28ET with doubler Transfer cases(4x the torque), so out goes the H190 with 7.5" ring gear and next is a landcruiser axle with a 9.5" ring gear and an OEM E-locker.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been slacking a bit on this, no suprise. :lol:

Jeff gave me my arms back as he didn't feel comfortable doing the machine work required. I dropped them off at Idol Rides neighbor that does machine work. Was hoping it wouldn't be to difficult. Well, long story short the holes got drilled off center and the edge margin was terrible. To make it up to me, the machinist is making me new ones...out of titanium :D

IMG_5516_zpsca4735da.jpg

I also got some of my bumper cuts done and my ball joints pressed into my knuckles

IMG_5454_zpsea021388.jpg

IMG_5447_zpsef1be9d0.jpg

IMG_5445_zps3e4c37cf.jpg

Once I get the arms back I can place my steering box, after that I should be able to start burning everything in.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some more accomplished, should be able to start the last of the heavy fab work this weekend.

Arms are finished. Titanium bling, no coating required. :cool:

IMG_5525_zpsa27d7c52.jpg

With the new arms my steering geometry is looking good. 

IMG_5528_zps4d3100ab.jpg

Steering box mount is trimmed and the holes are marked on the frame for the sleeves.

IMG_5529_zpsdac8f372.jpg

Bumper mount brackets are cut.

IMG_5520_zps8dc13241.jpg

Taking total advantage of my new machinist friend. :D

IMG_5533_zps37b44a0d.jpg

Those are the shackle mounts that will come through the bumper, they tie the winch mount and bumper mount brackets together. Should be really strong for winch pulls.