1978 620 King Cab 4X4

]2eDeYe

Ya, having one of each is pretty cool. :D

Once I get the same lug pattern at every corner I'll be looking into a matching set of wheels. :lol:

I've been debating the chevy steel wheels or some polished kidney bean slots.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

what size tires are those?

I have 33's on the front and they just look too small... needs like 37's but I really don't think I will have enough horsepower to turn those!

hadn't seen the thread bumped.... Those on it are 33" 12.5 R15. I have to get all the lug patterns to match, then I'll be putting my 35"s on it. Gears are where it's at, you can run 5.38's in that Dana 44.

IMG_1173.jpg

SNOW DAY!!!

Got 10"s of snow at my house, supposed to snow more tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_1217.jpg

That was a cold week with the snow. In this shot there is a layer of ice over the whole truck.

IMG_1220.jpg

I got a nice windsheild installed just before the snow hit.

I also had Dave install a DZ Start, alarm and power door locks. I really like having those in the red truck so.....

IMG_1262.jpg

Will be ordering the GTR button next payday cool.gif

This shot shows the armed LEDS, the are really bright green. I'll try to get a shot of them on, but they flash so it's hard to time it right laugh.gif

IMG_1263.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks man.

Went scouting for our Memorial camping trip, so many closed roads out there these days...

IMG_2049.jpg

IMG_2050.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2057.jpg

Brought my Wagoneer Dana 44 home last night to prep for swapping. Need to purchase a selectable locker and a 4:88 gear set.

Picture086.jpg

• Like 1

The spring perches are wider on the waggy axle so there will be a bit of fab work there. I have to convert it back to 6-lug from 8-lug, but I have all the parts to do that.

The steering needs to be addressed and converted to power steering. Got a Saginaw steering box and a Toyota steering box to play with and see what fits best.

I have the rear Dana 60 that was going into my old wagoneer as well, that will get converted to 6-lug and also get new gears and a selectable locker. That will be down the road a little though, as the front will take a bit of cash to get geared and locked.

3 link that D44!

What gears are you running right now?

You think 4.88 is enough gear to drive on the street?

I still have the 4.38 in the datto axle (have an alloy 4.88 chunk for it) but my front d44 has yukon 4.88 gears in it.

Havent driven the truck yet but getting closer

oh...

i didn't know they made 8 lug jeeps..

sounds like that little truck is gonna have a some sturdy axles under it...

The 8-lug hubs are from a Chevy Dana 44, they swap back and forth easy. I was going to run 8-lug on the Wagoneer I had, but I am getting rid of that in favor of building up the 620. I will get some aluminum 6-lug hubs for the Dana 60 when I get to building that for the rear. This way is easiest to keep my 15" tires.

3 link that D44!

What gears are you running right now?

You think 4.88 is enough gear to drive on the street?

I still have the 4.38 in the datto axle (have an alloy 4.88 chunk for it) but my front d44 has yukon 4.88 gears in it.

Havent driven the truck yet but getting closer

I will most likely 3 link it in the future when my funds have been replenished from building the axles. Just the front is going to run about $1300 in gears and lockers and that is with me doing the installation. The rear will likely be a little more. The plan is to get them in for now and then 3 link front/4 link rear with coilovers down the road. Besides, the springs from the Wagoneer are only a few years old and should do nicely for the time being.

I am fairly certain that the rear diff in the 620 is a 4:88 set as the housing is the aluminum one, which should make it an earlier diff with 4:88's. I still need to verify the ratio before I actually order the gears for the front.

With the KA I have no problem pulling hills at 70 mph in 5th gear on 33"s. The tires I'm putting on it are 35"s and shouldn't hurt the performance too much. :D

Hopefully my SD22 521/720 will have a chance at driving like that.

Im thinking of mounting these stock 620 leaf springs that I have on here now inboard of the frame rails to lower the articulated spring rate, and mount some long travel shocks outboard... Maybe remove the overload spring too..

The rear suspension flexes pretty good already for mixed up oem parts and I think a little more flex and it will be perfect.

• 2 months later...

So if you were at Canby you might have heard my loud ass exhaust...

This is the hole that appeared on my trip down :lol:

IMG_2865.jpg

While there I bought a muffler from Frank. Thanks for the deal man :D

IMG_2863.jpg

Had to get a reducer to fit the stock front pipe, got it welded on last night. Much quieter now :cool:

IMG_2879.jpg

Some other stuff I picked up for it. 4:88's and an Eaton e-locker for the Dana 44. Still in the process of cleaning the housing out, it's pretty nasty and sorta cumbersome to move around the garage.

IMG_2479.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

...and how about a pic from my trip to eastern WA a couple weeks back. :)

IMG_2692.jpg

That's it for now. Should have some tasty updates after I get the timing chain done in the red truck.

Yep running the waggy axle stock. It's approximately 62" WMS to WMS and my Dana 60 rear is about the same width (it came from a '60s era Ford). I will have to get some spacers for the H190 rear until I can get the 60 built. I am also stealing the wheels I was gonna run on the red truck for this thing. Love me some turbines :D

Picture101.jpg

• 2 weeks later...